Notify
Tools

Germany Login/Join 
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted
Arrived in Frankfurt last night. Travelled to Rothenburg ob der Tauber by train this morning. Great recommendation from the Sig Forum populace. The entire town is gorgeous. On the train back to Frankfurt now. Tomorrow is castle day.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

I bet they've got an HOA that'd knock yer socks off!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've been to the Castles in Frankfurt and Nuremberg.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I was in a small college town called Marburg when I visited, not too far from Frankfurt. I absolutely loved it. These pics immediately reminded me of it. I had an awesome time there even though it was just for work.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I do business about 70km south of there, I need to get up there and check it out.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
Day 2 we travelled by train to Moselkern and visited the Burg Eltz. It really does remind me of something from a children’s book. After lunch we took the train to Cologne. Great city with plenty of culture. The cathedral is just hard to describe with words. What an amazing piece of architecture.

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
Day 3 took us to Ansbach where my travel buddy was stationed with the Army in the mid 80s. Very peaceful town with great food. From Ansbach we caught the DB to Nuremberg. This is my favorite German city so far. Very well laid out with plenty of historical attractions mixed in with modern comforts.

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to eat at least one of these bad boys while you're there!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Great pics, dlayne! From one photographer to another.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlayne:
See the organ hanging on the left wall? It was built by the same German firm that built the one for my church here in DFW. And BTW, it is not "hanging on the wall" as are most such "Swallow's nest organs"--it is suspended from the ceiling structure by 4 very strong steel cables. (The walls of Köln Dom are historic and protected, and it was not allowed for anything to be fastened to them. It hangs about 1 cm from the wall and the Organist just steps from the existing (historic) walkway onto the organ platform.)

Nice photo!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Don't forget to eat at least one of these bad boys while you're there!

I have a lot of good memories from Germany, but that right there is one of the best! Would almost be worth the price of the plane ticket just to go get one (or 10) lol

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post