SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I've always been a Rolex and Panerai guy (did I mention i've owned neither?) but I also like Sinn. Hope it works out for you, Baron.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I've always been a Rolex and Panerai guy...

One of my classmates from watchmaker's school went to work for Panerai (Richemont); worked his way up after 10 years or so to lead watchmaker...then quit and went to work for Rolex, starting over at the bottom of the seniority list. He really likes Rolexes.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Didn't want to start a new thread for this...

Thoughts on the Citizen Atomic EcoDrive? Was fondling a few at a shop while in the Bahamas 2 weeks ago while on a cruise. Not sure if a 44 is too big for my wrist. I believe my Movado is a 37.

Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave - CC3005-85E

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15255 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
What diameter is your wrist. 44mm is a big watch. I've got a 7-7/8" wrist (a big wrist) and 44 is wearable but too big for my preference.

Definitely try before you buy at that size.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:
What diameter is your wrist. 44mm is a big watch. I've got a 7-7/8" wrist (a big wrist) and 44 is wearable but too big for my preference.

Definitely try before you buy at that size.

Not sure my wrist size, I think my wife has a few sewing tapes at home, I'll have to see.
Looking at the 37mm Movado I have on now, I think a little bigger wouldn't be bad, but I don't have a reference for a 44mm over the 37mm.

Anyone have firsthand knowledge on the model? I like the look/style, but haven't shopped anything since I got my Movado.

Posts: 15255 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5: ...I think a little bigger wouldn't be bad, but I don't have a reference for a 44mm over the 37mm.

The 7mm difference would be just over 1/4 inch larger. It doesn't sound like much, but it can be significant depending on your wrist width.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Rough estimate, I have between 2 1/4"-2/12" wrist width, going by sight with a cheap tape measure in the office.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Thoughts on the Citizen Atomic EcoDrive? Was fondling a few at a shop while in the Bahamas 2 weeks ago while on a cruise. Not sure if a 44 is too big for my wrist. I believe my Movado is a 37.

And David Troung gives discounts to his sigforum friends on citizens and the other brands he carries. He has the molon labe ring thread in the Classifieds if you want to click on his name to get his email address.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a really neat watch.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I've always been a Rolex and Panerai guy (did I mention i've owned neither?) but I also like Sinn. Hope it works out for you, Baron.

Thanks, Mike. Put my deposit down on one today. Rolex and Panerai are beyond my means but I think this will be a fine substitute. Now the wait begins...

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave - CC3005-85E

I recently found the Seiko Astron Solar GPS to also be a great watch but with it's size of 44.6mm it's just too big for my taste. On a watch blog some are saying that some of the recent large manufactures are starting to take notice that some of the fans would rather prefer a bit smaller size and may offer some here in the near future. Like my Yachtmaster being a 40mm, thats as large as I'd prefer even with a wrist measurement of 7-3/4".

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My wrist is 8.25".

I have a Seiko and an Explorer, both pictured on this thread, that are both just at 39mm. That is a good size for me - each with a little bezel, so the dials don't look too big.

My son has his grandfather's old Datejust, which is 36mm. (They are still made in that size.) It looks a little small on me, but it isn't childlike on my wrist. I could wear it.

The very first post of this thread is a Seiko that I have that is in the 44mm or 45mm range. It is largish, but with all that bezel and stuff going on around the edge isn't overpoweringly large. I wouldn't generally go much larger.

I have a Seiko Orange Monster (there have been several posted in this thread). They are about 42mm overall, but the dial is much smaller with a big bezel, and they don't look as big as they are.

Watches that have more dial and less on the dial generally appear larger. Look up a page or two for the lovely blue-faced Orient. It is ALL dial, and appears bigger on the wrist than its size would indicate.

On many people, I think 44mm or more is too much.

But it is your arm. Wear what you like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Gratuitous Explorer while bowling pic. Smile

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Did you see the updated Explorer this year, Rogue?

It has lume in the 3, 6, and 9, which I like in the dark, but I still prefer the current numbers in the daylight. It also has longer and wider hands, which I think are an improvement.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the new explorer with the longer hands. I'm still Jonesing for a 40mm polar expII, preferably with a 3186 movement...

See the new Airking ? Wow what a mess that dial is.

Posts: 4752 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Did you see the updated Explorer this year, Rogue?

It has lume in the 3, 6, and 9, which I like in the dark, but I still prefer the current numbers in the daylight. It also has longer and wider hands, which I think are an improvement.

I did. I think it's an interesting move. The hand length nuance never bothered me. The numerals I waver on back and forth. I still don't wear mine much. I wear a dress watch to work now, and when I'm home, I usually forget to put on a different watch. Been working at the house so much, I don't want to damage any of them. I may take another swing at selling mine this spring.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I like the new explorer with the longer hands. I'm still Jonesing for a 40mm polar expII, preferably with a 3186 movement...

See the new Airking ? Wow what a mess that dial is.

Spent 13 years with an ExpII polar. Great watch. Don't sweat the movt. My 3185 was spot on after 13 years with only one service at 11. After 11, it was +/- 0 sec over a 48 hour measurement period!

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Any love for Tudor?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Any love for Tudor?

I like 'em. Rolex-quality case with a nice ETA movement; what's not to like?

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Any love for Tudor?

I like 'em. Rolex-quality case with a nice ETA movement; what's not to like?

Exactly! Smile

I love the look of the 36mm Rolex datejust and Tudor oysterdate watches.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post