SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool 453030!

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
That's pretty cool 453030!

Thank you, Sir. I feel Chopard is a bit underappreciated in the watch world. That 8Hz Chronometer has been an outstanding piece for me.

LMT, probably more relevant around these parts :-)

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of a Tissot as my next watch. Now I'm considering a Marathon. Don't think I'll go for an expensive model. What are some good options for a less expensive version?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For you guys with the Circa 1900s watches, I'd like to look into a trench watch but I've heard crazy stories about radium dials and such. Real concern or are they usually scraped clean? Is there a way to know my watch will be the only thing that glows in the dark?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
For you guys with the Circa 1900s watches, I'd like to look into a trench watch but I've heard crazy stories about radium dials and such. Real concern or are they usually scraped clean? Is there a way to know my watch will be the only thing that glows in the dark?

The amount of radium on a watch dial and on the hands isn't really much of a concern. It was the people who made the watches that had problems from exposure. As long as you don't open the case and breathe any radium dust you'll be fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know, thanks.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Radium info: https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/11/health/11real.html

Radium dials are still radioactive and will be for a long time. But the levels are super low, maybe not much above background levels. It is a very, very low risk.

But, don't open the watch. You don't want to accidentally inhale or ingest a flake of radium paint. Leave opening those watches to someone who knows what they are doing.

Workers painting radium dials licked their paintbrushes to put a point on them. They swallowed a fair amount of radium over the years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I picked this up today.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Ebay find. $18.50 because it had a broken Twist O Flex.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
kz and mars: Nice finds!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
An Orange watch is always the right choice! I've had a bunch. None have stuck for me. But I have one inbound (due in September). I just can't stay away.

I’m lusting after one now, but haven’t been able to find the right deal on it yet. But I’m going to keep looking

...aannd as luck would have it I found the right deal, and bought it today. Took a while because even though it’s a cheaper watch, it’s not nearly as readily available as it once was (it may, in fact, be discontinued in orange), so general scarcity has kept the the somewhat inflated price stable. But I finally negotiated one from an AD down to around its former retail, and hope to have it (from the Netherlands) in a week or so. Can’t wait to get it.

It’s an Orient Mako XL with orange bezel...a poor man’s Omega Planet Ocean (a watch I’d of course love to have, but fortunately for my wallet I’ve been able over the years to keep my watch max fixed at $500...and truth be told there are stylistic choices of the Orient that I actually prefer). Sure, it doesn’t handwind or hack and the movement is a basic one, but by all measures Orient is a good brand and, most of all, I just think this is an absolutely gorgeous watch, one that really scratches my love for orange.

Finally put this new arrival in rotation a few days ago, and on the first day of wearing it I'll be damned if I didn't scape it against my stone kitchen counter edge not once but twice. Mad I swear that stone is magnetic...it's left its mark on two other watches I own.

With this watch, the first time the Watch Gods blessed me with a blemish-free experience...but the second time they scoffed at the repeat of my obliviousness and foolishness and my brand-new watch now has a slight scratch on the orange bezel, right in front of the "60" at the top of the dial and a corresponding tiny ding in the crystal edge. Granted, you can really only see them at the right angle and light, but still...jeez. Frown

This is why I don't buy watches over $500. I'm pissed off enough at myself over dinging this cheap watch the first day out...I can only imagine how much mental anguish I'd be having if it was a $3000 Omega Plant Ocean Orange instead of this $200 subtle homage. And with my history, it's almost certain this won't be the last time that kitchen counter will claim a victim.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OH NO! I hate that. This is why I try to buy beat up used ones.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only imagine how much mental anguish I'd be having if it was a $3000 Omega Plant Ocean Orange instead of this $200 subtle homage. And with my history, it's almost certain this won't be the last time that kitchen counter will claim a victim.

A PO better not scratch. It has a ceramic bezel, extremely hard case and some of the best sapphire crystals offered.

The bracelet is another story. Even Rolex bracelets will scratch.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
I can only imagine how much mental anguish I'd be having if it was a $3000 Omega Plant Ocean Orange instead of this $200 subtle homage. And with my history, it's almost certain this won't be the last time that kitchen counter will claim a victim.

A PO better not scratch. It has a ceramic bezel, extremely hard case and some of the best sapphire crystals offered.

Ah, good point. You’re right, the Omega would’ve likely held up to my carelessness much better.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:

Ah, good point. You’re right, the Omega would’ve likely held up to my carelessness much better.

I have a 20 year old Seamaster, and I like the beat-up character it has gotten over it's life. It doesn't have a ceramic bezel, and the old metal one has acquired many dings.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'ts why I prefer experienced watches. I just bought that old Tag 2000 as a daily beater.

The picture makes it look beat up, but it really is in fantastic shape, the hard flash just accentuates the slightest of scratches.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Tell me Sigforum members what's the difference between a 300 dollar watch and a 3000 dollar watch? I'm considering another watch. A dress watch is what I really need. I like the Hamilton Jazz Master. But, 600 dollars is a bit much for a watch I'll only wear maybe two or three times a year.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Tell me Sigforum members what's the difference between a 300 dollar watch and a 3000 dollar watch? I'm considering another watch. A dress watch is what I really need. I like the Hamilton Jazz Master. But, 600 dollars is a bit much for a watch I'll only wear maybe two or three times a year.

A $300 watch will have either an Asian mechanical or electric movement. Citizen and Seiko make GREAT watches, but Swiss command a premium.

You CAN get a Hamilton automatic (ETA 2824-2) for under $600.

https://www.jomashop.com/ha.ht...utomatic&order=price

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

Some of the difference is truly quality, some of it reputation, demand and marketing.

The Swiss have the reputation and marketing down pat. The big names have the quality down pat.

A lot of watches marked "Swiss" are simply assembled in Switzerland of Asian-made parts or Asian movement shipped to the Swiss houses and modified therein.

The Swiss used to be rather strict about their reputation; the quartz rampage in the 70-80 period changed a lot of that.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of Jomashop. Are they considered a "grey market?) Are they good to deal with? I have been looking on the Hamilton, Tissot, Macy's, and Overstock sites.