SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
If you own a Rolex, I hope you never see the guts. Pretty disappointing. Some are truly nice and well decorated, some are not! Lot of money for that movement.

RMD

I have a gold president with the bark bracelet. It's ugly on the outside. Smile

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you own a Rolex, I hope you never see the guts. Pretty disappointing. Some are truly nice and well decorated, some are not! Lot of money for that movement.

RMD

Lot's of money for just the name, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:

Big Grin

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Whether you like Rolexes' looks is a matter of taste. Some I like, and some I don't. The movements are not decorated, but they are very well made. They might be the best factory movement out there.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

What dial? Remember those wooden dials?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

What dial? Remember those wooden dials?

Champagne dial with roman numeral chapter ring. 36mm case. Bark finished bezel.
Yes, I remember the wooden dials. Those things were fugly.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up this new SRPB96 Seiko 5 with a 4R35 movement. It has a sunburst brown face, blue bezel, and a brass looking rose-gold SS case. It looks much better in person. Price was just under $200. I think they are available on Jomashop and maybe other places.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
Advice/information needed.

I'm looking to get another inexpensive (relatively) dive-capable watch to replace my (really) inexpensive Casio Duro. I like the look of the Tauchmeister T0006, but I know nothing about this brand. All thoughts welcomed.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have an Invicta Pro Diver automatic with the Seiko movement.
For the price, it can't be beat.

Here's one with a rubber strap. $80

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Invic...d:g:JEcAAOSwIaFZJZkn

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:

I'm looking to get another inexpensive (relatively) dive-capable watch to replace my (really) inexpensive Casio Duro. I like the look of the Tauchmeister T0006, but I know nothing about this brand. All thoughts welcomed.

Miyota 8125 movement, automatic, I don't know if this movement hacks or hand winds.

Probably O.K. You can get a Seiko SKX 007 or 009 for the same or less money if that is of any consideration.

Good luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:

Miyota 8125 movement, automatic, I don't know if this movement hacks or hand winds.

Probably O.K. You can get a Seiko SKX 007 or 009 for the same or less money if that is of any consideration.

Good luck,

RMD

The Miyota 8125 does handwind, but does not hack. You "false hack" it by exerting a little back pressure on the crown when it is pulled out. That is usually not a good way to treat a watch, but doing it once in a while is probably no big deal, and the Miyota movement is very robust and can take it.

Some Chinese copies of the Miyota movement did add hacking to their movements.

As to the Tauchmeister, it may be fine, and that is a good movement. But I generally prefer Seikos. The SKX007 (and kin) is inexpensive and a workhorse. That movement doesn't hack or handwind, I don't think. Seiko has many divers in the $300 to $400 range with the next movement up in the Seiko line. (The various Monsters, Turtles, and others. They do hack and handwind, and are a little more accurate than the lesser movement.) Those have some real personality.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I joined the Alpinist club

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks good, Agony.

I'd like a green watch, but the Alpinist isn't the one for me. Neither is the Hulk Sub. I'll keep looking.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
It's a very nice little watch. Emphasis on little. I wish it was 41-42mm. That would hit the sweet spot for me.

I have a Seiko Recraft in green that is absolutely huge. I wish this one was a little smaller.
I'll probably get rid of it soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks good, Agony.

I'd like a green watch, but the Alpinist isn't the one for me. Neither is the Hulk Sub. I'll keep looking.

How about the soon to be released Seiko SLA019?

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Loving that strap on your Recraft, agony.

That reminds me that I need a new strap for my Hamilton. I do want the metal bracelet, but the leather is just a classy-looking.

Anyone familiar with WatchGecko?

(link)

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
quote:
Looks good, Agony.

How about the soon to be released Seiko SLA019?

It looks great, but more than I want to spend.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 230 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post