SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Well, this just happened...

That's got some serious presence! Nice

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My 1946 Breitling Premier is back from RGM. Freshly overhauled.

I've gifted my quartz watches to my boys, and traded the GO for this a while back, so this is all I have left at the moment. The Breitling, my father's Elgin, my grandfather's Girard-Perregaux, and my Zenith El Primero.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice set to have!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Breitling is nice! Their new watches are way too busy and oversized for me, but yours definitely got my attention!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
That Breitling is nice! Their new watches are way too busy and oversized for me, but yours definitely got my attention!

I agree, that Breitling has a very understated elegance. Beautiful watch, thank you for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Well, this just happened...

That's got some serious presence! Nice

Thanks, r0gue! It's got just enough "pop" for my liking. Just one more gratuitous photo:

That's quite the set you have - cool to have such vintage pieces with some family history!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ShneaSIG,

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I get having a "date" feature, or complication if you will. But do people really not know what day of the week it is? Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I get having a "date" feature, or complication if you will. But do people really not know what day of the week it is? Smile

I think it's a complication originally intended to show off the skill of the watchmaker and to designate the exclusivity of the timepiece. For example, Rolex Day-Dates (which, to my knowledge, was the first such automatic watch) are prestige timepieces made only in precious metals. There are certainly more accessible watches with the "day" feature, though.

Personally, I've never had a watch with the "day" feature, so I don't know if I would come to rely on it or not. Typically, I do not have trouble remembering the day of the week, and, should I ever really be in a bind, I can always check my smartphone or my computer.

I completely rely on the "date" feature, though. All of my watches display the date. As I go about my day, I reflexively glance to my watch any time I need to recall the day's date. I'd be lost if I were to wear a time-only timepiece, even though I'm surrounded by other devices showing the date (and the time, for that matter).

It's funny - with the technology everyone carries today, mechanical watches are pretty much obsolete. But, I can't help but love them anyway. I love the soul that a great watch seems to have and the engineering and effort that goes into them.

Really, I guess I could always glance at my office computer or swipe my smartphone, but where's the fun in that?

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My friend's wife's one requirement for a new watch for herself was the day function and be large enough for her to read it at a quick glance. She ended up with a rose gold brown dial Rolex Day-Date 36. Beautiful watch BTW. Anyways, I could see the need for the feature if you don't have a regular routine like going to work during the weekday or even to church on Sunday to calibrate your week again.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
ShneaSIG, Well said!

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
ShneaSIG, Well said!

Thanks, r0gue!

Another thought occurs to me: if one travels internationally frequently, then the "day" complication very well may be something to rely on. There's nothing like an 18 hour flight across the international date line to really put you in a time warp!

-ShneaSIG

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
I completely rely on the "date" feature, though.

I do really like the date feature. I have one watch with it, and one without (both recent acquisitions, after years on not wearing a watch). I do find myself consulting the non-date watch for today's date. But I am generally oriented enough (not always though) to know what day of the week it is, based on daily routines (and I am retired).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
When I had my Rolex Explorer II and wore it daily (didn't even own another watch) for 13 years, I used the date all the time. Probably more than the time. Generally you have a sense for the time, but "What's the date"? comes up ALWAYS.

But when I own multiple watches, it annoys me having to set it. And it REALLY annoys me if it's wrong.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I had my Rolex Explorer II and wore it daily (didn't even own another watch) for 13 years, I used the date all the time. Probably more than the time. Generally you have a sense for the time, but "What's the date"? comes up ALWAYS.

But when I own multiple watches, it annoys me having to set it. And it REALLY annoys me if it's wrong.

I prefer to grab a watch and go, without having to set the time or date. I ended up getting an Orbita double winder to help keep my collection ready to wear. I seldom wear the same piece two days in a row, so I find my little collection stays ticking as I rotate through them. It was easy when I only had 3. Once my​ Tudor comes back from servicing, however, I may need to start wearing two at a time. Razz

-ShneaSIG

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have date complications on most of my watches, but it isn't a requirement. My Rolex Explorer is time only, and I will say that from an aesthetic point of view, the clean dial is better-looking. I'd get a no-date Sub over a date Sub.

Day complications seem mostly useless, and just junk up the dial in my eyes.

The Japanese (or at least Seiko) seem to have an affection for power reserve complications. Perhaps there is reason for one on a manual wind watch. But Seiko sticks them on their spring drive watches, which are a species of automatics, and which have incredibly long power reserves in the first place. Maybe they are just showing off the long power reserve, but that seems like a really silly complication to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I generally know what day of the week it is based on routine chores, like taking out the trash, shooting a Thursday match, taking out the recycle bin, shooting a Saturday match, going to the store, etc. I generally set the date in my mind first thing in the morning, when I view my calendar. That doesn't always last all day, though, so it is nice to have the date feature on a watch for handy consultation. Much quicker than pulling the cell phone out of my pocket. In case you can't tell, I am new to watches (after a 40 year or so hiatus).

Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I find myself entering the watch rabbit hole. I currently have two watches and both of them are Luminox. The 4221 is my boat, field, and casual watch. I also have the 1844 Atacama chrono which I've deemed to be my nice watch. Both are in the $300 - $500 range.

I was looking to get into a nicer watch and go with an auto or eco-drive so I started looking at the Citizen Octavia - Citizen Octavia and the Luminox modern mariner 6502 - Luminox. I know one is a chrono and the other day/date but to me both look very clean and sharp.

Now my perusing has brought me to the Ball Skindiver II - Ball and the new Oris Aquis Hammerhead - Oris. So I need to guidance here since this is new territory. Are Citizen and Luminox both considered to be the same in the entry - intermediate level? Are Ball and Oris comparable in the upper intermediate - lower high class?

I really like lume in my watches all of them have it at some level with the Citizen Octavia having the least. For those watches that have a rubber and stainless bracelet, I would get both options to have so that's not a factor. I have friend who have Breitlings and I know about the expensive service visits. Are Ball and Oris expensive when it comes time to service? I do not have a local jeweler who carries Oris so I would have to take a drive to Orlando to check out the Hammerhead.

So what things should I consider? What are the big differences between a $1,000 watch and a $2,000+ watch?

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
One thing about the Ball is that those are tritium tubes. They will be dead in about 12 to 15 years, and won't light up.

The superluminova in most watches should be good for much longer, maybe forever.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
One thing about the Ball is that those are tritium tubes. They will be dead in about 12 to 15 years, and won't light up.

My new Marathon has tritium tubes. I will probably be dead in 12-15 years. Smile

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
y new Marathon has tritium tubes. I will probably be dead in 12-15 years. Smile

I might be too, but some aren't as old us fossils.