SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
What's the consensus on Hamilton? A decent bang-for-the-buck?

After getting my first chronograph a while back, a Bulova Lunar Pilot, I'm ready to add a second chronograph, one that's a bit more mainstream than the retro'ish Bulova, and would like a mid-range, value-minded automatic Swiss. I've looked at Oris, Hamilton, Alpina (already have two Alpinas), and the other usual suspects, and I keep coming back to Hamilton's Jazzmaster chronograph. I like the balance of the dial and the display back, I like the wedge-like chronograph buttons on the side, I like the vibe of the brand. Apparently it doesn't come with much (any?) reflective coating, which is a mark against them, but I suppose there's some purpose behind that that that I'm not aware of.

This one's calling my name lately, and not sure if I should keep listening or not...

Have you considered Raymond Weil? This chrono and their Freelancer dive watches are very nice. RW is a family owned Swiss watch maker.

Here’s a link to a chrono I kind of like, though it’s a bit more expensive than the Hamilton.

Does anyone have experience with this brand? I saw a Freelancer at Costco and was impressed with the quality.

https://www.jomashop.com/raymo...-7731-sc1-20121.html

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raymond Weil

That RW looks almost exactly like the TAG Heuer Carrera Chrono but at half the price!
Put a stainless bracelet on it and it's perfect!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Just got this from England: [IMG]

1931 silver cushion case with Lanco movement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Just got this from England...1931 silver cushion case with Lanco movement.

I like it. I'd be torn between leaving it as is, or cleaning up the case myself and sending the dial to Kirk Dial of Seattle (which is actually in Kent, WA).

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Just got this from England...1931 silver cushion case with Lanco movement.

I like it. I'd be torn between leaving it as is, or cleaning up the case myself and sending the dial to Kirk Dial of Seattle (which is actually in Kent, WA).

Take your time in deciding. Once refinished, you can never go back.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Not doing anything to it. 87 years old, patina tells the story.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
What's the consensus on Hamilton? A decent bang-for-the-buck?

After getting my first chronograph a while back, a Bulova Lunar Pilot, I'm ready to add a second chronograph, one that's a bit more mainstream than the retro'ish Bulova, and would like a mid-range, value-minded automatic Swiss. I've looked at Oris, Hamilton, Alpina (already have two Alpinas), and the other usual suspects, and I keep coming back to Hamilton's Jazzmaster chronograph. I like the balance of the dial and the display back, I like the wedge-like chronograph buttons on the side, I like the vibe of the brand. Apparently it doesn't come with much (any?) reflective coating, which is a mark against them, but I suppose there's some purpose behind that that that I'm not aware of.

This one's calling my name lately, and not sure if I should keep listening or not...

Have you considered Raymond Weil? This chrono and their Freelancer dive watches are very nice. RW is a family owned Swiss watch maker.

Here’s a link to a chrono I kind of like, though it’s a bit more expensive than the Hamilton.

Does anyone have experience with this brand? I saw a Freelancer at Costco and was impressed with the quality.

https://www.jomashop.com/raymo...-7731-sc1-20121.html

I have looked at their offerings in the past, but none have ever clicked with me the way the above Hamilton has. They may (or may not) be objectively a better build, but there's just something about this Jazzmaster Auto Chrono that appeals to my aesthetic preferences.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Jomashop had a $200 off sale for the Fortis pilot watch I wanted, can't wait to get it.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I saw them! I almost bought one and still might!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Got it today and am glad I pulled the trigger. It's a nice medium for a pilot watch of not being too busy, while still having day/date, hour and minute markings. It's also not a comically large wrist anchor that makes you look like a kid wearing dads watch. I'll try to get a halfway decent picture tomorrow.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Erika's Original MN strap. I'm a believer now. This thing is great!

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
1916 trench watch. Strap is garbage, ordering correct one from England.

-Bomber Harris

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Today's choice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Erika's Original MN strap. I'm a believer now. This thing is great!

That looks good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Today's choice.

Very Nice!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Well looky what I got!
The Orient RayII Orange. Big Grin

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Better shots...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice, SC.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had to buy it for him because he kept buying those shit Invictas.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
An Orange watch is always the right choice! I've had a bunch. None have stuck for me. But I have one inbound (due in September). I just can't stay away.