SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I am a bit OCD about the time change after I wrecked the quick set on a vintage Seiko 4205 diver. I typically set the watch manually to 5:00-6:00 then set the day/date to one day behind and then advance it forward to the current date and time.

I thought about asking if they would regulate it but the Le Jour is running about +2-3 seconds a day when worn constantly. It’s outperforming both of my Ball watches that have the same Valjoux 7750 movement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Not many jewels in that, are there?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Any thoughts on the Seiko SNZG09J1? (Made in Japan)

I believe that's got the same 7S36 movement as SNZG16J1 -- I have SNZG15J1 and it's a solid everyday watch. I'd recommend it. It's not fancy, but it's certainly one that can take everyday use.

That's the watch I wear when shooting. It's a solid piece.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve been watching some videos on hand removal. This watch isn’t worth much I don’t think but it does have sentimental value. I didn’t know my cousin too well, we were quite a few years apart and he died when I was still quite young but we share a lot of similar interests. He was into surfing, loved Cape Hatteras and liked fast cars just like me.

The movement is absolute junk as is the case and bezel action but maybe I can salvage the dial and hands and transplant them over to an SKX? To me the soul of that watch is not it’s movement but it’s dial and hands. I hope I can somehow fix the watch or at least use components of the watch to build a better watch.

If I can do a good job with this maybe my uncle takes notice and sells me his beaten to hell non functional Rolex Submariner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A worthy project. You might also just clean it a little and drop a battery in and see if it beats. Could also possibly find a new quartz that would drop right in. Probably a trillion of that exact model in the world.

I agree, cool enough dial and the sentimental element make this something to pursue.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Not many jewels in that, are there?

There should be a movement number on the movement somewhere unless it is absolute Chinese trash. That would allow you to order a new Quartz movement should you wish.

The SKX dials are all 28.5 MM in diameter, so let that guide you in your decision. Also be aware that the hands may well not fit the 7S or NH movements. Good Luck,

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Here it is with the new Berthold strap.

close-ups

So... a bit of research and I find it is a model 6232, which covers a lot of ground from back then.

The dial is used from 1948 through 1952 and Seamaster is not always found on the dial.

In order to dial it in specifically, I'll need movement numbers for Omega to look it up, but I did not get that info when it was being serviced.

I wound it up yesterday with just a few twists when I replaced the strap, and I found it still running today. Smile

I believe it is a 14k gold filled version as the back is engraved and the particular seal it uses was used for such cases.

Mom is coming over for dinner tonight, so I might ask her a few questions about it. She has dimensia and was divorced from Dad in 1969, so I'll be careful with my inquiry.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Classic elegance!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

posted Hide Post
That strap is a major improvement - the watch looks great.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Give us a wristshot in natural light. I'll bet it looks even better in person than in those pics.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple down and dirty shots in the back yard.

Apologies for the old man hands. Went to the dermatologist last week and he thought it would be a good idea to burn off the age spots.

ETA

34.5mm as it is, it barely covers my farmer's tan. Smile

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It is through my ridiculous obsession with watches, and the inevitable wristshots that I find myself taking, that I realize my hands are those of a person much older than I. Damn it.

Here's my Berthold

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Looking good!

If my hands weren't used for mechanical work for the last 40 years, I suspect they might look a tad bit less weathered.

Nice Speedy!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That strap is perfect on that Omega. Whole combo looks great!

I've been going down the American brands rabbit hole the last day or so. Brands like Lum-Tec, Bertucci, and Shinola. I think a quality American made field watch will be in my future before horribly long.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Yep, you guessed it... another micro-brand. It's an Aquatico Sea Star V2. My first green watch Wink. I'm liking it so far, has a lot going for it, SW200, ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, 300m, display back and also came with a green NATO strap.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Yep, you guessed it... another micro-brand. It's an Aquatico Sea Star V2. My first green watch Wink. I'm liking it so far, has a lot going for it, SW200, ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, 300m, display back and also came with a green NATO strap.

That looks good. Like a homage to a Tudor 58. Sharp.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Must resist....

I do not need one of these....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
BTW, That’s a GORGEOUS Speedy rOgue. Very nice! I discovered a speedy variant with a day, date, and month! complication that I find QUITE alluring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

I'd love to have that in wall-clock size!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post