SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Understand about duplicates. I have a pair of Sinn 156 Military chronographs (Lemania 5100). !986 and 1989 vintage. Have toyed with parting with one towards something else, but have never pulled the trigger.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bald1, thanks for the heads up on Ashford’s website. I thought these were all gone when Jomashop sold out. $99-140 for a real ETA 2824-2 is a steal.

I have a spare black and a spare silver dial example that I plan on eventually modding. I honestly love the minimalist dial on both of these watches quite a bit. The two movements are keeping very consistent time at about +5-6 seconds a day.

I eventually want to build a nice vintage looking watch out of one of these with a sterile silver dial and blue 3,6,9 indices as well as blue hands. I need to buy better tools and watch more YouTube videos first but it should be a great base for a custom build.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Bald1, thanks for the heads up on Ashford’s website. I thought these were all gone when Jomashop sold out. $99-140 for a real ETA 2824-2 is a steal.

Sorry I cost you money! Big Grin But seriously it sounds like you've got some good project pieces at a bargain price. :thumbsup:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
So what has left the nest as part of the move to acquire this one? I'm almost afraid to ask. Smile

A weird series of events led to my owning duplicate Polar Explorer IIs. I wanted to replace my "first good watch" and decided I needed one again. I was working on a deal for a holes-lug, complete set (box & papers). That deal fell through so I bought a watch only t-dial without B&P. Then, the deal for the full set resurfaced and I bought it thinking I'd sell the watch only. But then,.. I was torn for a long while because the full set wasn't a t-dial. So I debated and debated. ... and debated... and... Confused

Ultimately, I kept the T-dial watch only and let the full set go on trade for this watch. I had to add some cash, so the 1946 Breitling Premier chronograph will unfortunately have to go as well. The rest are safe for now. Big Grin

This is going to get bad for you when you really take a shine to Pateks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Pateks (for the most part) do little for me. At least the ones that are not in the stratosphere of pricing. Most (all?) of the current Calatravas have movements that are undersized. They seem somehow too flat to me, and the long lugs reach irrationally tall leading to a poorly fitting watch for a guy with a 6.5" wrist. I think they upsized the tiny case, and stretched the lugs to appeal to those who expect a larger wearing watch. Then they left the dime sized movements in there. Unforgivable for a maker with the honorific of membership in the "holy trinity" to their credit.

There are a few though. Older models mostly, like the 5110p World Time, that I would love. But I'd have to shift half my small collection AND throw a little cash to fund it. And I know (I think) that I don't want to do that!

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am generally with you. Calatravas are an awful lot like a lot of other very well made watches with price tags of 1/5 as much.

Some of the very complicated watches Patek makes are as cool as they can be, but those are simply too expensive.

I think the Nautilus is very handsome, but not at that price.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Lord Vader your watch has arrived. Big Grin

This Steinie Ocean One DLC Phantom Green is an excellent summer watch! It’s factory bracelet was fantastic but in this heat it feels better on mesh. I’m loving this new clasp and it’s 24mm of adjustment.

I’m glad I got one as they were a limited run and they are now sold out. The lume and low light visibility sucks but I suppose that is the cost of the unique stealthy look. This is my go to watch when I’m going to the beach, pool or boating this summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ladies, gents, this watch right here vexes me. It has hands down the most beautiful dial Seiko has ever made so what do they do? Make it a limited edition run that will list for $850 on the fleabay and often sell north of ludicrous territory ($1000-$1600) Eek

First thing I’d have to do is rip off the bezel/ insert and install a black/PVD/DLC Bezel & black or maybe black & blue bezel insert along with a less blingtastic crown.

What the eff Seiko!? That’s too much for a limited run that I’d feel hella compelled to modify as soon as I get it.

This watch.....I love it and I hate it at the same time....look at that damn dial. First generation Goldeneye Bond Seamaster-esque wavy dial meets the best Seiko presage sunburst dial and bam! Something special happens. Why is this amazing dial so limited Seiko!?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The watch looks like a group assignment when a budding watch building genius and a pimp are placed together some kind of collaborative assignment from hell that somehow turns out ok and unique but still awful in some ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the Seiko's what is the opinion of the body on the Seiko Prospect Arnie model?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rOgue has one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
The watch looks like a group assignment when a budding watch building genius and a pimp are placed together some kind of collaborative assignment from hell that somehow turns out ok and unique but still awful in some ways.

I'm thinking you and I aren't the target market for this watch.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
A British retailed trench watch is appropriate on July 1st.

Sold by Adie Brothers Ltd
Frederick Street
Birmingham
1902 - 1962

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I FINALLY got the email notification that the Helm watch I pre ordered last year is shipping out and heading my way! Cool

I hope it lives up to the hype and was worth the wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Question for the hive. Who do you recommend to service an ETA 2452 movement?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Speaking of the Seiko's what is the opinion of the body on the Seiko Prospect Arnie model?

<arnold> YEAH IT IZ GUUD! </arnold>

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question for the hive. Who do you recommend to service an ETA 2452 movement?

https://www.watchmann.com/watchrepair.php

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks rOgue!

I have a neat German made watch (Dievas) with a sterile dial heading my way with one of those older ETA movements. #5 out of a run of 50. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
For more complex stuff I'll use RGM, or the factory authorized watchmakers of course. But I've used Watchmann twice and the results were as expected at a very fair price.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks to a heads-up from a member in another thread, I snagged this Casio Duro and a replacement NATO strap. Under $70 from Amazon for both. Not super fancy, but looks nice, and I've been wanting a blue watch.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post