SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oh man. I can’t even fathom getting a Sub for $1200. If Marathons chrono wasn’t so expensive (and big) I’d already own one.

2020 has not been my year guys. I had another two wheeled accident today that resulted in more road rash and I was wearing my Ball Fireman when I went down. Frown I was riding a mountain bike in a park and somehow managed to lose the front end at speed on asphalt. I think it was a combination of leaves on the trail and me not paying enough attention and going too fast. I am now 100% in the Ball Watch camp. Not only did my Ball Watch come out pretty much unscathed but I am happy to report that the leather band which hit the asphalt hard has only minor scuff marks that are very hard to notice. Ball Watch uses some DAMN tough leather on their watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ball Watch you guys rock! This is the end result of hitting asphalt and sliding a few feet. Eek So much for a relaxing bike ride in the park.

It looks like nothing even happened! No gouges, no deep scrapes, this leather is fricking TOUGH! There is still a little dirt in the threads but I was SHOCKED to discover I hadn’t ruined my watch band.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Man, it sounds like you need a beater for riding! Eek

Sorry about your wipeout, but I’m glad your watch seems otherwise unharmed.

Edit - Friggin’ autocorrect. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got lucky. The leather belt I was wearing didn’t fair nearly as well. It took a direct hit and ripped apart a little. My left arm and hip hit hard but thankfully I didn’t have a lot of weight on my wrist when I crashed and slid. I’m not going to ride with a good watch ever again.

**edit to add***

On a separate note did anyone see Gnomon has more of their Steinhart Marine Blue homages of the Tudor Sub? The new version has a domed sapphire crystal instead of the plexi. The dial looks different and better with the sapphire crystal.

Steinhart Marine Blue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Um, I'm starting to think that maybe you shouldn't go out on 2 wheels at all, forget with only a beater watch.

Yikes. That could have been a lot worse.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Stick,

How many crashes is that for the year so far?

I'm with Leeann.... might want to sanity check your activities. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not going to ride with a good watch ever again.

There. Fixed it for you

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 232 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’m not really feeling the urge to ride a scooter or mountain bike any time soon.

Sorry JHE888 I didn’t mean to derail the thread.

Back on topic.

What are your thoughts on this? I like Günther’s philosophy quite a bit.

“My philosophy is that we should produce Swiss made watches and this with really nice quality and for a real honest price, because all humans in the world should and must have the possibility to have a nice Swiss made watch and this for an honest price”

-Günther Steinhart.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/EUVpCbguqVA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of great quality for a reasonable price. I hadn't really looked at Steinharts much, but their Ocean One Vintage models are pretty interesting. I especially like the "old radium" lume look.

I don't see myself buying another watch until maybe this coming spring or thereabouts, but I'm hoping to set enough aside that something like a Steinhart is attainable.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, If/when you do get a Steinie I think you will be pleasantly surprised. In my experience they are great watches for the money. Superb quality and fit and finish.

Ladies & Gents what do we think of the Raymond Weil brand? I found a chrono made by them that I find quite appealing. Are they decent watches?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Oh man. I can’t even fathom getting a Sub for $1200. If Marathons chrono wasn’t so expensive (and big) I’d already own one.

2020 has not been my year guys. I had another two wheeled accident today that resulted in more road rash and I was wearing my Ball Fireman when I went down...

Glad you're OK!

I was overseas in the Marines at the time, good friend had a very clean Sub, and was going on a trip, needed some "fast cash".
I had the $1200/$1250, and kinda hemmed and hawed for a little while, someone else tossed The guy the $, and walked away with a Rolex, got the box when the guy came back.
STILL KICKING MYSELF IN THE ASS OVER THAT ONE!

A few months ago, I could have gotten TWO brand new, still in the unopened box, Rolexes. Sitting in the gutter at about 900 N Michigan, east side of the street. That night was a fuckin RIOT! (As in literal and figurative Wink)
Had to pass on that deal too.

Eehhh, one of these days, I'll get one.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure if I’ll own the real deal or it’s sister brand Tudor. Maybe one day. Who knows, for now I’m loving this little strap monster that seems to be on a different strap/bracelet every week. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Go big or go home! LOL

Zeno XXL Pilot GMT 47.5mm ETA 2893-2

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is a BEAUTY Bald1! I love the way that dial is laid out, especially the white hands on the black dial. Have you had any alignment issues with your GMT hand? I’ve heard the ETA 2983-2 can sometimes be a bit sloppy in this area in some cases. I have one that is perfect and one that is a little off.

I recently discovered I have the same wrist size as my wife and mother. Big Grin With my small wrists 42-43mm is the largest size I like to wear. I have a 47mm watch, an odd full lume/white dial Invicta diver with a Seiko NH35A Auto movement but I hardly ever wear it.

My 43mm Ball chrono feels just right, not too big or small. I love the dial & sub dials on this watch. The sea of blue tritium at night is just icing on the cake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You guys are going to love this. My uncle apparently has a beaten to hell old Rolex Submariner that is non functional. It was used extensively in salt water. If I had to guess prob 1980’s-90’s vintage with lots of submersion in the brackish water of the Chesapeake bay. Hmmm

I’m going to get more info...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a BEAUTY Bald1! I love the way that dial is laid out, especially the white hands on the black dial. Have you had any alignment issues with your GMT hand? I’ve heard the ETA 2983-2 can sometimes be a bit sloppy in this area in some cases. I have one that is perfect and one that is a little off.

I have 3 GMT watches all powered by the ETA 2893-2 (1 Glycine, 2 Zeno) and NONE exhibit any alignment issues after 2 decades of ownership.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are going to love this. My uncle apparently has a beaten to hell old Rolex Submariner that is non functional. It was used extensively in salt water. If I had to guess prob 1980’s-90’s vintage with lots of submersion in the brackish water of the Chesapeake bay. Hmmm

FIX THAT PUPPY UP!!!!

(With the pictures!)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have a Rolex certified shop (make sure!) work it over.

For $1000 ~ $2000 you could have a real deal vintage Rolex.

Mine is a 1982 16800 Sub Date with the 3135 movement and sapphire crystal. Well worth owning! Can't tell it from newer ones. Keeps chronometer accuracy.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Have any of you seen the Bulova Sinatra line? The tank watch looks kinda interesting. Looks like they have some autos as well.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bulova is owned by Citizen so it should use one of the many great movements that fall under its corporate umbrella. I almost scooped up an interesting vintage Bulova automatic chronograph diver style watch but I was not sure if it’s authenticity.

Regarding that Sub, I of course need to see how bad it is but I wonder what a Rolex sub in that condition is worth?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~