SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
I've got mine on a brown Hirsch Tiger strap...

That's sharp!

quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
and, I aligned the bezel Big Grin .

Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Suzuki & Casio partnered to make a very interesting and very bright watch. It has the old Suzuki Ecstar MotoGP blue and neon green colors. When Suzuki returned to MotoGP racing in 2015 with a new inline four prototype race motorcycle they ran these colors. Now will it be collectable? Probably not. It isn’t the right colors. Suzuki ran those colors 2015-2019.

In 2020 (their 100th anniversary) Suzuki ran slightly different (and MUCH better looking) throw back color scheme that payed homage to their 1st ever championship winning motorcycle which was blue and silver. The moto Gods smiled upon this color scheme change and Suzuki ended up winning the MotoGP championship in a year where EVERYONE struggled and the 8 time champion was out with a broken arm.

Yep...even in a watch thread I can still find a way to talk about motos without derailing the thread. Big Grin Big Grin

Tissot actually sponsors MotoGP not Casio so this is a most curious watch. I wonder if Suzuki’s Joan Mir got a custom Tissot for winning the championship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Suddenly this last week, my Glycine started losing about five seconds a day. It's never done that. It's always been either bang on or +4. Slow is new. I was working with some tiny Neodymium magnets at work a few weeks ago, and I wonder if it got magnetized doing that and I somehow didn't notice? I think I'm going to take it off for bed for a few days and if that doesn't solve it, buy a demagnetizer. Does that sound about like the standard, reasonable course of action? If I need to dink around with regulating it, I can do that, but if I don't need to crack it open, I would prefer not to.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Definitely try to demagnetize it first, especially if you were playing with magnets. If anything it will rule out the possibility of magnetism and it’s super easy to do. You can get a demagnetizer on eBay for about $8.00 and in my experience they are worth every penny. I’ve had a few of my automatic watches somehow get magnetized and the cheap blue demagnetizer worked perfectly.

How long have you had the glycine? The ETA 2824/Sellita SW200 movement is known to have a bit of a break in where it will either speed up or slow down ever so slightly. For the best accuracy you will eventually want to regulate it.

Did you manage to smack it really hard on anything or drop it recently?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Really thinking about a black dial turtle. Local place has one for less than 300. I need a water sports watch!

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Do it! I cannot consider someone to be a true watch enthusiast if they do not own one of the best watches ever made. It’s better than the mighty SKX. Yeah, ok I suppose I’m a bit biased and maybe a bit of a Turtle enthusiast but I’ll say this, you can spend a ton more money and not end up with a better watch.

Bang for buck the Seiko Turtle has to be considered amongst the best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What can you guys tell me about chrono24? They seem like a great source for the rare entry level to low-mid tier watches and even some of the harder to find micro brands. But what about the more luxurious brands? Would you buy a Tudor, Omega or Sinn from them?

If you were on the hunt for a good source for a new in box Sinn 206 Arktis II, Sinn 144 ST SA or Tudor Pelagos would you consider chrono24?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
What can you guys tell me about chrono24? They seem like a great source for the rare entry level to low-mid tier watches and even some of the harder to find micro brands. But what about the more luxurious brands? Would you buy a Tudor, Omega or Sinn from them?

If you were on the hunt for a good source for a new in box Sinn 206 Arktis II, Sinn 144 ST SA or Tudor Pelagos would you consider chrono24?

I looked at chrono24's Sinn offerings. They aren't any cheaper than from the US authorized dealer. The stated price is a little less, but there is $100 shipping from Germany. I don't know if other watches are priced that way.

I also noticed that a Patek Nautilus is still out of reach.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s better than the mighty SKX.

Okay, man, I'm curious: what makes the Turtle better than the SKX?

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Or the Samurai?

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Yeah! What SgtGold said! Big Grin

Loving my Samurai....

- - - - - -

Another curious question: stickman, I know you've got Samurais; how many Turtle models do you have?

Some time, when I'm passing through your neighborhood, I'm going to ask to try one on. Big Grin

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Compared to the SKX the Turtle (and Samurai) have hacking so it has a slightly improved movement that is based off of the SKX movement. Yeah, I know about the trick to hack an SKX (move the hands counter clockwise when the power reserve is low) but that doesn’t count as hacking. For many the inability to stop the second hand when setting the watch is no big deal, because of my persnickety tendencies it’s something that has always bugged me.

From an aesthetic and ergonomic standpoint the Turtle has sort of a retro vibe going. I love the way it looks and feels on the wrist. The other Seiko divers are great too but the Turtle is my personal favorite. Since the Samurai was mentioned I prefer the day/date of the Turtle over the date only Samurai. Though with a few mods the Samurai looks incredible. Seiko is finally doing this on their own but when you modify it your way that’s always best. You can’t really go wrong with any of Seiko’s current divers.

The Willard is one Seiko that has been tempting me lately, that case shape is sweet. Now with the latest Willard you can argue it has them all beat (Turtle, Samurai & SKX) with that 70 hour power reserve but it comes at quite an additional cost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve bought several watches on Chrono24 and, so far, had nothing but very good results… “knock on wood”. I’ve picked dealers, no private parties, that have been selling there for a long time with long lists of good reviews. I’ve bought an Omega, a Tudor and a Sinn, among others. I bought the Sinn from an AD in Riga, Latvia. It was a real delight communicating with him and negotiating a price. When we agreed on a price, the model I wanted was sold out, so he called the factory and he had one the next day (not that far from Frankfurt to Riga Smile ). I ended up paying a couple hundred less than I could find it anywhere else and he even threw in an extra strap. I’ve also bought a couple from Tokyo, one from New York and one from L.A.

Of course, now, they have to charge tax on everything (just like GunBroker), so you lose that advantage. And there’s also VAT that you have to factor in. I’ve never had to pay shipping, as it was always included. Bottom line, every watch I’ve got on C24 has been as good, usually better, as what I expected.

Edit: Also Stick, what model is that second Sinn you show in your list of next acquisitions, the one with the black dial, it's a stunner! I may have to call my friend in Riga Wink.
PS: I did some checking on the Sinn website and found that it's the Sinn144. I'm really liking it the more I read about it, especially seeing that it has the 7750 movement.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Suddenly this last week, my Glycine started losing about five seconds a day. It's never done that. It's always been either bang on or +4. Slow is new. I was working with some tiny Neodymium magnets at work a few weeks ago, and I wonder if it got magnetized doing that and I somehow didn't notice? I think I'm going to take it off for bed for a few days and if that doesn't solve it, buy a demagnetizer. Does that sound about like the standard, reasonable course of action? If I need to dink around with regulating it, I can do that, but if I don't need to crack it open, I would prefer not to.

Usually a watch will run fast if magnetized. One of the things that can happen is, the hairspring get magnetized and coils will stick together. That will shorten the length of the spring making the Balance wheel move faster.

One of the easiest ways to tell if a watch is magnetized is to use a compass.
Place the compass near the watch and move it around. If the needle points at the watch as you move it around it, it is possibly magnetized. Their are some good videos on YouTube on how to do this.

How old is the watch? Might it need a service?

Accuracy can also depend on the position the watch is in.
Have you started a new routine that might have the watch on your wrist in a new position or are you storing different from in the past.
Has your routine changed, are you moving around less then in the past. On one of the watch forums I am on people that have been working from home for the last year were talking about their watches stopping. It is because they are not moving around nearly as much as they have in the past.
If the main spring is not fully wound it can effect accuracy usually making the watch run slow.

These are just a couple of ideas. I hope this helps.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebo
posted Hide Post
quote:
What can you guys tell me about chrono24?

I made a purchase through them a couple weeks and it was quite easy. Watch was delivered FedEx overnight, no issues. I did satisfy myself as to the dealer I was buying from and used the chrono24 escrow service just to be sure.

Posts: 51 | Location: Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: April 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

SKX has the 7S26 movement. Turtle has the 4R36 movement.

4R36 is comparable to an ETA movement and quite possible more durable.

Based on the 7S26 with many improvements.

Additionally, it has a styling that might be considered an improvement by some - not all.

The King Turtle adds sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Willard is one Seiko that has been tempting me lately, that case shape is sweet. Now with the latest Willard you can argue it has them all beat (Turtle, Samurai & SKX) with that 70 hour power reserve but it comes at quite an additional cost.

The first release with the 8L35 movement is the one to get.

Latest one may well be a reincarnation of the original intent - good movement and affordable, but none of them are the exactly like the original.

This is, because it is the original.

I swapped out the crown and crystal.

Note where the crown is and compare that and the size and proportions to the reintroduction's - they're all a bit different.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
eTripper, Very nice Helm! The Vanuatu is an absolute tank! The only way I could love my Helm any more is if they would add a day/date version.

Snapping Twig, Very nice! That’s probably my favorite looking Seiko. Was the first release slightly smaller? I don’t know if it’s how they photographed them but the new Willard looks slightly bigger. Does your crown take 5-6 turns to unscrew? I love it when a diver has a crown you have to turn a bit. Some people may find it annoying but to me it’s added insurance against water intrusion. One of my odd quirks is that I greatly dislike a diver or any watch with a screw down crown that doesn’t take much rotation to screw down.

On an impulse I bought a Sharky homage of the Willard a few years ago (before the more affordable versions came out). I don’t know if they are all of the same quality but I got a damn good one. Typically homages have crap lume but this thing doesn’t. I bought it to see if I like the Willard case shape and planned on selling it but I have held onto it because of how much a $200 watch surprised me. How they made it at that level of qualify and still made money is amazing.

This is a good review of the Willard tribute/homage

This satisfied me until the blue 55th anniversary Willard was released. Now I find myself wondering if I want to get yet another Seiko diver. (I probably have too many already)

The case back is interesting. They put some effort into the thing. For what I paid the quality is overall shockingly good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Long post to follow, so here’s a picture to make up for those not caring about this conversation. Razz

quote:
Definitely try to demagnetize it first, especially if you were playing with magnets.

I'm thinking this is probably the culprit. Last time I had to assemble those parts, I took my watch off and put it in my pocket, concerned it would happen. This last time I figured my wrist was far enough away from the magnets to not affect it. I guess I was wrong.

quote:
How long have you had the glycine? The ETA 2824/Sellita SW200 movement is known to have a bit of a break in where it will either speed up or slow down ever so slightly. For the best accuracy you will eventually want to regulate it.

Since last August or September. I forget. It's been worn daily since then, and I even sleep with it on, even though I know folks tend to take them off and let them sit a particular way that doesn't throw the time off too badly.

quote:
Did you manage to smack it really hard on anything or drop it recently?

Not that I recall. It does occasionally get bumped into into doorframes or the warehouse racking at work, but not so badly that I've put anytyhing in the crystal, just some mild scratches in the bezel or insert. Though, I don't know what it takes to really damage a sapphire crystal, so that may not be anything to go on.

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
One of the easiest ways to tell if a watch is magnetized is to use a compass.
Place the compass near the watch and move it around. If the needle points at the watch as you move it around it, it is possibly magnetized. Their are some good videos on YouTube on how to do this.

I realize this sounds pathetic, but I don't think I actually own a compass. That may be something to remedy in, and of itself.

quote:
How old is the watch? Might it need a service?

Answered above, but more precisely, I believe the watch itself is less than a year old.

quote:
Accuracy can also depend on the position the watch is in.
Have you started a new routine that might have the watch on your wrist in a new position or are you storing different from in the past.
Has your routine changed, are you moving around less then in the past. On one of the watch forums I am on people that have been working from home for the last year were talking about their watches stopping. It is because they are not moving around nearly as much as they have in the past.

I've changed nothing in my routine, including the way I sleep. I work an active job... well, I have been using the arbor and pneumatic presses a lot more at work recently. If anything, I'm perhaps winding the watch more with this activity.

quote:
If the main spring is not fully wound it can effect accuracy usually making the watch run slow.

Thinking it had possibly not getting wound as much, I've also tried hand winding it here and there, which I've never done before. But this shouldn't cause it to run slower, should it?

quote:
These are just a couple of ideas. I hope this helps.

Thank you, both. You brought up some things I hadn't considered. I think I'll order a demagnetizer and start there because it seems like a smart thing to have anyways, even if it's now just broken in and running at the rate it naturally wants to. I set it right to the second last night at about 8pm and less than twelve hours later, it's running five seconds slow again.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post