SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I can’t wait to see what kind of watch you get when this crazy crap is over rOgue.

Maybe over the coming days/weeks I'll post some candidates (borrowing some of the best pics from the web) and describe what's so great about them.

Seems a good way to take my/our mind off things.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great idea. I look forward to learning about some incredible watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wenger Commando Patagonian Edition

Posts: 48 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
While I am utterly exhausted, I think we've done about all of the prep we can at my hospital. Measures are in place. Massive concessions in normal day-to-day operations. I'm doing 10-12 hours a day in the office, and working pretty much flat-out from home the rest of the day. Outdoor testing facilities, special stand-alone triage... By the grace of God we even located many more ventilators, and they're on the way in to be P.M.'d and stood up for use.

..Why isn't this posted in the COVID thread you ask?...

Because this post isn't about COVID. It's a documented promise to myself. --

When this shit is over, I am getting one HELL of a fuCking watch!

This remains my "price no object" new watch.

https://www.vacheron-constanti...43172-000p-9236.html

Perpetual calendar. Skeletonized. Highly decorated, but in a restrained, classic way. Precious metals.

There are some great Patek perpetual calendars, but I love the skeleton treatment.

https://www.hodinkee.com/artic...boutique-in-new-york

https://www.hodinkee.com/artic...ue-new-york-boutique

A Credor (Seiko's ultimate watches) skeletonized minute repeater. What can I say - a repeater.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That would certainly qualify as 1HoaFW jhe!

Too early for me to tell what mine will be. Rolex just shuttered production, so the thought that steel sport watches would fill the shelves is vanquished. Luckily (for someone) the grey market capacitors are surely filled to the brim with the stock they've been skimming and hoarding for years. IMO, they're like DeBeers driving the markets. Let em choke on it since they've pimped out the most of the line anyway. Though if a Daytona showed up at the AD, I'd probably swallow my pride.

So... That leaves many many choices. Journe and Laurent Ferrier are my fav's but insane expensive. Perhaps Breguet. Their Classique 7147 with the grand feu enamel dial is spectacular. If it were 37mm or 38mm with a manual wound movement, this would be an absolute target of mine.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2017/...subtly-gorgeous.html

You have to visit this site above to see the best representation of it on the net. CLICK the photos and zoom in and pan around. It's like having a loupe and examining the dial and printing is possible. WoW!

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful r0gue

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
In the realm of the much more mundane, I just got this GW B5600 from Casio. It is light, comfortable, and handy. This one talks to your phone by Bluetooth, and you can control all the functions via the phone, which is much handier than pushing a jiliion buttons on the watch. It syncs time to your phone, or the radio time signals, and is solar powered.

It is not a Patek Nautilus as far as looks, but I still kind of like it.

The Breguet is something else, indeed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I wear my Garmin every day now to the hospital and when I go home, it goes with me, straight into the shower!

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Stickman428, thank you for the info on the nato bands. Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
PAM 615

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coldbore:
PAM 615
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Eq...ice-Drop/93-1966050/

This is not a watch.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
PAM 615
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Eq...ice-Drop/93-1966050/

This is not a watch.

fixed that mess

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Sorry but given the current situation, I feel compelled to stretch a bit for a laugh.

Mmmm.... Submersible Flyback. That mean it specializes in the backstroke?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Sorry but given the current situation, I feel compelled to stretch a bit for a laugh.

Mmmm.... What a knee slapper. Roll Eyes You obviously don’t specialize in writing jokes.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Mmmm.... What a knee slapper. Roll Eyes You obviously don’t specialize in writing jokes.

And you obviously missed the bit about it being a STRETCH.... Eek

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a little while since I posted here. I can start with a pair of Black Beauties (the AI I have had 10 years, the GP 4 months).

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok. So I’ve had my digi-tuna for a while now. I’ll go ahead and give you guys a mini review on what is rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

Full disclosure: I have a heavy bias towards mechanical/automatic watches but this Seiko is winning me over.

What do I like about it? I like the display and it’s lay out, it’s easy to read (even in lower light) and is providing quite a bit of information, Day, date, dual time with the ability to easily change the time to anywhere in the world in seconds. This is a damn good travel watch. I LOVE that Seiko managed to give the rotating bezel functionality. I’m into all kinds of watches but I have a real affinity for watches with rotating bezels and good water resistance. I also like the illuminating function, to activate it you just smack the watch and it lights up. You can also adjust the amount of force required to make it illuminate.

What else do I like about it? Its interface is wonderful, it is intuitive and easy to figure out without it a manual. It’s not like my damn G-Shock rescue where I have to fight with it to adjust things. It’s simple to operate/adjust things and logical. It’s also very light weight. I mean so light you forget it’s on your wrist. I swapped out the black silicon band for a blue silicone band off a Seiko SRPA83 which really gives it a nice aesthetic as the band matches the blue in the bezel insert perfectly. I like the chime on the hour function too.

So what do I not like about it?
Ok, yes there are some opportunities for this design to be improved. The rotating bezel is held in place by friction and pressure. It does not click when you rotate it. That said the bezel is actually harder to turn than all of my other Seiko watches and it does not rotate out of place on its own. I suppose you can’t complain about bezel insert alignment if it doesn’t click into place. Big Grin
Now for my main gripe. The case is plastic. I don’t mind the shroud on top being plastic (I have yet to scratch it so it’s a good plastic) but I wish Seiko has spent the extra money and given it a full metal case and not just a metal case back held in with screws. Given its price it should have a metal case. I think I would also rather have a button for illumination rather than the “smack the watch to turn it on” function for illumination.

This watch could be absolutely incredible with a few minor tweaks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have been tempted by those digi-Tunas. I have been a little dissuaded by the price, although it isn't that expensive.

My real hesitation is the negative display. Some negative displays are hard to read in certain light, and at oblique angles. I have a negative G-shock that looks cool, but is hard to read often enough that it irritates me.

Can you say more about this one's display?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sure. I like it more than the G-shocks I’ve seen with negative displays. I have not been annoyed by it or had difficulty viewing the display in low light or at various angles. The time itself takes up about 1/3 of the display itself so it’s pretty easy to tell the time. You can adjust the negative display but I’ve found that I prefer the default setting.

The watch has a few opportunities but I don’t think the display is one of them.

I can post up a vid of it at various angles and in low light if you’d like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Yeah, sure. I like it more than the G-shocks I’ve seen with negative displays. I have not been annoyed by it or had difficulty viewing the display in low light or at various angles. The time itself takes up about 1/3 of the display itself so it’s pretty easy to tell the time. You can adjust the negative display but I’ve found that I prefer the default setting.

The watch has a few opportunities but I don’t think the display is one of them.

I can post up a vid of it at various angles and in low light if you’d like.

Thanks. I'd love to see them.