SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Bad cell phone pix of a Maratac GPT-1 on a silver NATO.

Domed sapphire crystal = reflections. Huge watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The Obris Morgan arrived pretty late last evening. A couple of quick pictures before I tootle off to a rifle match to make a fool of myself.

Very elegant in my opinion for a tool watch and apparently now sold out for this run

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I got this back yesterday, newly serviced from David Troung. It looks brand new! Thank you David!

I bought this with my first bonus 25 years ago. I'm glad I bought it then as I'd never spend this much on a watch now.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ my dream watch, beautiful!

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbit712
posted Hide Post
Latest using a new lighting technique.

Posts: 69 | Location: God forsaken jungle of SW Florida | Registered: November 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful picture, Hobbit. What was your new technique for lighting?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
But don't the trees
seem nice and full
Picture of Snailfan
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1317 | Location: Near Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snailfan:

Nice! The Marathon SAR is possibly the best tool watch ever made.

I have worn one for years now and it's been thru hell and back. Heavy recoil, light recoil, heat, cold, dust, dirt, mud, water; it just keeps on ticking and keeping good time.

RMD

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit712:

Wow, great shot! I'd like to see your lighting system for that picture and camera settings.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:

Nice Flieger my LACO pales in comparison, my goal is too have one from all 4 of the WWII Flieger watch makers. IWC, WEMPE STOWA and LACO.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I just bought it (I'd owned it for a few hours when I took the picture at my office).

I've wanted one for years, but the price tag kept me away.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Love the SAR on the 5.56 ammo box. I have a TSAR that is awesome, wish I had got the auto without the battery.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Here is my Marathon SAR:

RMD

Picture of Hobbit712
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit712:

Wow, great shot! I'd like to see your lighting system for that picture and camera settings.

Jim

I usually use a tabletop studio light tent and have been doing so for years. I frequent a watch forum and was impressed by another members recent photos. I asked him about his lighting. He told me he uses his laptop! He puts it on max brightness and uses a white screen. The more I thought about it, the more brilliant I thought is was. You have a large light emitting panel that needs little to no diffusion.

The above picture is the result. I played a little more and also brought out an old LCD monitor I wasnt using. This is the result of the two light sources.

In an effort to get a less cumbersome solution I started looking around the interwebz for a flat light panel emitter. I saw some specifically for photography but they were a bit pricey.

I stumbled upon this though. Its actually a desk light that can be adjusted for brightness and color. Very adjustable as well.

I am still learning how to utilize it for best results as the light seems to flatten the outcome at times.

Latest result.

Quick setup picture. I am using a Canon XSI with a 60mm macro. F8.0 aperture.

Posts: 69 | Location: God forsaken jungle of SW Florida | Registered: November 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutoKarbine:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AutoKarbine,

Posts: 32 | Registered: June 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit712: ...I am still learning how to utilize it for best results as the light seems to flatten the outcome at times.

If you don't already have it, I highly recommend this as the best tool for understanding the hows and whys of lighting:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240812255

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Hobbit712, that is shear genius. Just proves that simple answers are often the best solutions.

I've seen those flat desk lights before, but don't really remember where. I'll keep my eyes open for a couple of them.

Thanks for the insight.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit712: Quick setup picture...

I just noticed in this setup photo that you have a springbar tool like one of mine. Are you a watchmaker?

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sinn U1 swimming with the fishes.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post