SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Because I never tire of showing off my 1971 Speedmaster Professional.
This was my wife's uncle's watch. He was the meterologist for NASA.

Awesome watch, excellent year, amazing family history tie-in.

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And still available, new from Omega, though I bet everyone here already knows that. I found this one at a sale price of $2,690:
https://www.swisswatchexpo.com...-35395000_8487_F.jpg

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I was offered over that for my Cal 861. That new one is a Cal 1861
Someone offered me $800 just for the bracelet.
The NASA spaceflight vintage ones are outrageous now.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
OK, here's a vintage piece, I bought new in 1981.
From a place called Keys Catalog Showroom.

Seiko A258-5000 Silver Wave
Called the Sport 100 in Europe.
Yes, it's a solar watch. It uses a Mallory capacitor instead of a battery.
You can use a 396 if you disable the solar circuit.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo: ...hopefully all my repair tools will be in soon. I'mm adding watch repair to my list of things I can do. Big Grin

I have about $2,000-worth of tools I had to buy during the first two quarters (out of eight) of watchmaker's school...and then I ended up not going into the trade. Frown

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
They make you buy movements to assemble too don't they?
I just ordered the case and movement vises.
Along with the hand puller and set press.
I may get a crystal press.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
They make you buy movements to assemble too don't they?

At the school I went to (Watch Technology Institute in Seattle) we didn't, at least not when I went there 15 years ago. We had a dozen different watch movements to work on, ranging from big pocket watches to little ladies' lozenges, basic watches to chronometers, mechanical and quartz, etc.

Here's a look at the program nowadays: https://northseattle.edu/progr...technology-institute

The guy on the far left in the photo on the home page is from my class, and he went on to be a lead watchmaker at Panerai, and then recently changed jobs to work at Rolex in Dallas. (He graduated top of our class. I came in a close third.)

Edit to add: I just found this YouTube video that shows WTI as it is today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJscBTz77VM

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this watch is a lot bigger than what I wanted (42mm vs 38mm) but does anybody know how to find one? It's a 50th Anniversary Seiko 5, model SRP415K1. Priced right, I'll risk it being too big.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

I like that! I'll help you search. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the Seiko 5 50th Anniversary watches on the Seiko website, but no pricing and no purchase info:
http://www.seikowatches.com/5s...s/products/50th.html

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I know this watch is a lot bigger than what I wanted (42mm vs 38mm) but does anybody know how to find one? It's a 50th Anniversary Seiko 5, model SRP415K1. Priced right, I'll risk it being too big.

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-S...P417K1/dp/B013UUXW7O

http://www.chrono24.com/seiko/...rsary--id5296184.htm

http://www.rubytimes.com/SRP41...tches-p/srp417k1.htm

also, google "seiko 5 sports automatic" and you'll see a lot of other nice looking options.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
OK, the 2006 Seiko Flightmaster I won off E-Bay.
For $76 I thought is would be a fixer but it's PERFECT!
Just needed the case and bracelet cleaned!

Shaman
posted Hide Post

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a pleasant surprise. Looks good!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
It's a heavy chunk of metal! Eek
It dwarfs my Speedy. And my Speedy is big.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, YellowJacket, but it's the 415 I'm looking for, those are all the 417. One seller had the 417 priced at $189, and if I could get the 415 for that I'd probably buy it.

I tried Googling with no luck so far.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
By the way, SC, that's a nice Seiko. They sure do make some interesting stuff.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Shaman
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I too went looking for a 415, apparently it's rare or no one is giving one up yet.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The Timex Expedition Chrono. Apparently highly prized by Timex collectors. Me? I'm not sure at this point.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
The Timex Expedition Chrono. Apparently highly prized by Timex collectors. Me? I'm not sure at this point.

RMD

Awesome!!!

Want!