SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
r0gue,
That Omega '56 Seamaster is a kissing cousin of my '65 Constellation PiePan. Big Grin It sports a 24 jewel 5 way adjusted Cal. 561 and is slightly larger at 35.5mm but as a big watch guy I find it wears bigger than that. :thumbsup:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16191 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a pie pan Connie. Never threw down on one though. .... yet.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I've always wanted a pie pan Connie. Never threw down on one though. .... yet.

Learned when I had this serviced after inheriting it that the crown has an integral seal which reflected its age. They're no longer available so if replaced it would be with an aftermarket one which doesn't have the Omega logo. I opted to keep the original with logo as the seal's 3 BAR wasn't much to begin with.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16191 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by r0gue:
Moving on, but still into vintage, the Omega Seamaster Ref. 2846. Powered by a caliber 501 automatic movement, this watch wore impressively well at only 34mm. Circa 1956. The two tone dial was nice, the applied indices very nice, and the strap was to die for!

[/QUOTE

Another great dress watch, the more watches I consider, the more I prefer those with no date

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
What is the general consensus on Luminox today? Have they worked their way through quality problems I've been hearing about?

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m loving this white dial, the grooves around the minute indices and skeletonized minute hand which allows the hour hand to be seen is pretty cool. The details on this Ocean Two Premium are amazing especially when you consider the price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My first taste of haute horlogerie. I saved and sold my way into this one back in 2014. F.P. Journe's Chronomètre Bleu. At the time Journe was making about 700 watches a year. Perhaps not much more than that even now. I didn't realize how VERY fortunate I was to have been allocated one. I soon sold it because it felt like too much to have invested in a watch. I actually took a small loss on it! Now just six years later, they trade used at 4x what I paid for it! Needless to say, ... mistakes were made.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I’m loving this white dial...

Nice white dial watches sans-Romans are quite uncommon.

posted Hide Post
Nice looking Ocean watch

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I dont care what Patton would say. I like that mother of pearl.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:Now I need to get my scuba certification so I can join my wife on a dive when the world returns to normal and we can go on a MUCH needed Caribbean vacation.

Do it! It's a life-changing experience.

I did my PADI Open Water course in home waters (Seattle. Brrr!), but I know many people who combine a Caribbean vacation with a diving certification class so they can dive in warm, clear waters in the beginning. You can even do the classroom or online portion in your home locale, do the confined water (pool) dives locally, and then do the open water dives in a tropical resort. Since all PADI instructors follow the same curriculum, it's not a problem to split your program, and if I recall you have several months allowed between the CW and OW portions, so you can plan accordingly.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
BrianO,

Thanks for the info!! I am going to do just that. I live about 30-40 minutes from an excellent dive facility but if I can get a head start by getting the classroom aspect out of the way I might as well do it now. Thanks man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The first version of the revised 39mm Rolex Explorer (39mm with a non-lumed numerals dial). Ref. 214270 with the new cal. 3132 movement.

This one didn't last long at all for me. While the movement was buttery, but the hands were too short in the larger case, and the numerals should have been lumed. They later fixed these complaints.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Found this going through boxes today. Have had it for over 40 years. Has never run, someone Roll Eyes tried to open the back. Can't find anything online about it. Anyone know if it has any value?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first version of the revised 39mm Rolex Explorer (39mm with a non-lumed numerals dial). Ref. 214270 with the new cal. 3132 movement.

This one didn't last long at all for me. While the movement was buttery, but the hands were too short in the larger case, and the numerals should have been lumed. They later fixed these complaints.

I never minded the hands, but I do wish the numbers were lumed. I still have mine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:...someone Roll Eyes tried to open the back.
That's too bad about the back. It can be cleaned up quite a bit, though. Get some very fine grit sandpaper and lay it flat on a hard surface. Then lay the caseback on the sandpaper and, moving in random circles and figure-eights, run it across the sandpaper using moderate downward pressure. Using a large piece of sandpaper and moving the caseback around the whole sheet while keeping it perfectly flat is the key to keeping the lettering from being obliterated.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:...someone Roll Eyes tried to open the back.
That's too bad about the back. It can be cleaned up quite a bit, though. Get some very fine grit sandpaper and lay it flat on a hard surface. Then lay the caseback on the sandpaper and, moving in random circles and figure-eights, run it across the sandpaper using moderate downward pressure. Using a large piece of sandpaper and moving the caseback around the whole sheet while keeping it perfectly flat is the key to keeping the lettering from being obliterated.

I'd first make certain it doesn't have collectible value before you start fixing it with sandpaper. I'm guessing it isn't worth much, but I could be spectacularly wrong.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I never minded the hands, but I do wish the numbers were lumed. I still have mine.

I went back at it several watches later when they fixed those items. Then I found I still couldn't live with it because it wasn't a 36mm. I'm a loon when it comes to watches.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My first taste of haute horlogerie. I saved and sold my way into this one back in 2014. F.P. Journe's Chronomètre Bleu. At the time Journe was making about 700 watches a year. Perhaps not much more than that even now. I didn't realize how VERY fortunate I was to have been allocated one. I soon sold it because it felt like too much to have invested in a watch. I actually took a small loss on it! Now just six years later, they trade used at 4x what I paid for it! Needless to say, ... mistakes were made.

That’s also beautiful. I love the numerals.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by rOgue:
quote:
I'm a loon when it comes to watches.

Big Grin I think we all are my friend. I consider them to be one of my finest addictions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~