SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I'm warming to it. Very legible dial and indices. Stout mi!itary look to it, instrument-like.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
How about a new Hamilton Khaki, in all black.

Oh, very nice!!

rduckwor, I'm liking that Bulova, too.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Not posting a watch but a question:

I have a Seiko 6105 I had restored, but do no wear it every day. It has a reproduction style 2 piece rubber strap.

Okay, sometimes the pins have been known to dislodge, what is a good strap that would contain the watch from loss if a pin came loose?

You would be wanting a NATO strap. It's designed to keep the watch from falling even if one springbar let's go.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
quote:
New Halloween watch

Nice Fortis.

Thanks! I'll also have to pick up their Flieger & Cosmonaut one day.

I have a B42 Cosmonaut with a leather band I recently bought and I'd like to find a factory deployment clasp in stainless and rubber band for a decent price. Kind of nervous about fleabay. Any reliable resources?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
New Halloween watch

Nice Fortis.

I have a B42 Cosmonaut with a leather band I recently bought and I'd like to find a factory deployment clasp in stainless and rubber band for a decent price. Kind of nervous about fleabay. Any reliable resources?

I'm sort of in reverse. Gotta buy the Fortis PVD titanium deployant and leather strap. Deployant is $255 and Fortis strap is $130.

Watchbuys.com (Fortis authorized dealer) has the combo you're looking for, $220. I looked at some Fortis parts on fleaBay and a couple other joints before and most joints cost more than Watchbuys. Crazy.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store...nd-Bracelets-c58.htm

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:...I have a Seiko 6105 I had restored...what is a good strap that would contain the watch from loss if a pin came loose?

As mentioned by brminpin, a NATO strap would work. Another option (and one that people sometimes confuse with NATO straps) is an RAF strap, which predates the NATO strap and is a slimmer design with less metal hardware. RAF straps are also called "USM NATO" straps. I think an RAF strap would look very good with your Seiko Turtle. Yet another option, and one that would simulate the original two-piece rubber strap but with the fail-safe benefit of a NATO strap would be a one-piece rubber strap. See: https://www.watchgecko.com/zul...bber-watch-strap.php

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:...somewhere along the way the day phase has gotten a little wonky.

I haven't worked on that model, but sometimes a misaligned day or date can be rectified with a little lube on the teeth of the day/date ring. With some quartz movements, though, it's a problem with the stepper motor for that function, and would be best left to a watchmaker to repair because it requires removing the plate, resetting the motor, and replacing the plate...and getting the pinions of all the motors aligned with the holes in the plate at the same time is what gives most watchmakers grey hair.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, sometimes the pins have been known to dislodge, what is a good strap that would contain the watch from loss if a pin came loose?

I don't remember if that model had the drilled lugs. If so, a good pair of SHOULDERLESS fat bars will help. But as others have said, a NATO strap or any one piece strap will provide some security. Amazon is a good place to shop.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Not posting a watch but a question:

I have a Seiko 6105 I had restored, but do no wear it every day. It has a reproduction style 2 piece rubber strap.

You would be wanting a NATO strap. It's designed to keep the watch from falling even if one springbar let's go.

Thank you, I've seen those, only in photos, never in person.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:...I have a Seiko 6105 I had restored...what is a good strap that would contain the watch from loss if a pin came loose?

As mentioned by brminpin, a NATO strap would work. Another option (and one that people sometimes confuse with NATO straps) is an RAF strap, which predates the NATO strap and is a slimmer design with less metal hardware. RAF straps are also called "USM NATO" straps. I think an RAF strap would look very good with your Seiko Turtle. Yet another option, and one that would simulate the original two-piece rubber strap but with the fail-safe benefit of a NATO strap would be a one-piece rubber strap. See: https://www.watchgecko.com/zul...bber-watch-strap.php

Thank you for the website, I may order this NATO strap instead of the rubber strap. My Seiko is 19mm lugged.

https://www.watchgecko.com/com...ato-by-zuludiver.php

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post

Wish I had a better background....

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
New Halloween watch

Nice Fortis.

I'm sort of in reverse. Gotta buy the Fortis PVD titanium deployant and leather strap. Deployant is $255 and Fortis strap is $130.

Watchbuys.com (Fortis authorized dealer) has the combo you're looking for, $220. I looked at some Fortis parts on fleaBay and a couple other joints before and most joints cost more than Watchbuys. Crazy.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store...nd-Bracelets-c58.htm

Much appreciated! My Google-fu was weak.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
This just in, Bulova Moon Watch. I'm not really a chrono guy, but I thought I should try once more.

RMD

YES!!
I LOVE this watch!
It's on my short list!

WHEN you get bored with it, we may work something out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ScreamingCockatoo,

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
My wife got me this for my birthday! Just opened it! Damn Photobucket...

It the Blue Angel World AT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phantom229,

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Citizen makes THE aviators watch now, hand down.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
This just in, Bulova Moon Watch. I'm not really a chrono guy, but I thought I should try once more.

RMD

YES!!
I LOVE this watch!
It's on my short list!

WHEN you get bored with it, we may work something out.

Yes, we may do just that.

RMD

If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
My first name brand piece. Traded g43 (which I disliked a lot) for it. Came with ss bracelet but I think that it's much nicer with leather.

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crni4:...Came with ss bracelet but I think that it's much nicer with leather.

I think that looks really nice.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crni4:
My first name brand piece. Traded g43 (which I disliked a lot) for it. Came with ss bracelet but I think that it's much nicer with leather.

That's a beauty! Enjoy!

RMD

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My poor, old, first nice watch, from my late teens (mid to late 80s), bought it with money from my highschool era burger-flipping job. I've worked in it, wake boarded, skied in it, got in fights while wearing it, rarely ever took it off for several years, and the original battery in this thing lasted almost 10years. Still works fine, if it had a working battery, but it definitely needs some love, crystal is scratched and a little chunk is missing, and the colored numbers and dots on the outer bezel are mostly worn off.. Stumbled across it looking for something else today. My old Tag Heuer, was about $275 back then. Seems tiny now, dare I say - almost girly sized by today's standards:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post