SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice seiko, Rogue. I am resisting that one, but the price helps.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I understand. There was something about it that really called to me. I wanted a diver, and there weren't any others that really did. I've had other Seiko LEs that gained value over time. "Time will tell". For now, no intent to resale anyway.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

"However, for those whom the SL017 is out of reach, there is an alternative, such as it is. Seiko has also announced a “re-interpretation” version of the 62MAS in the form of the SPB051/053, which also falls under the Prospex line. “Re-interpretation” is the key phrase here. It retains the general shape of the original, but is considerably larger at 42.6mm. The dial is somewhat faithful to the 62MAS, as is the bezel, but the hands are another matter entirely."

http://wornandwound.com/return...ex-sla017-spb051053/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
There are 62MAS mods on eBay that are in the $200 range. They take a base Seiko and change a few bits to make it look similar. Pretty close looking. Very nice in my eyes.

But the dial on this Re-Ed LE, and the crystal, and hands and lume, oh!, and the bezel,.. and the case.... ahhhh....

I guess I REALLY fell for this one! Big Grin

"You had me at 39.9mm"....

posted Hide Post
Since this is the place where it's most likely to be seen by the forum watch nerds, a deal on a Marathon JDD. $882.95 and two days to your door with prime. That's $317 off authorized dealer Wilson Watch Works price, and a whopping $677 off MSRP. Factory warranty included.

Oh yeah, the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are so inclined, hurry up before Amazon figures out someone fat fingered the wrong price in.

BTW this thing is ginormous. You've been warned.

Rob

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. 46MM, but a very good price if you can deal with the size.

Fortunately, not being a small person, large watches work for me. Knowing my penchant for the "different" the latest: a Benarus Sea Devil, #10 of 50.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Yep. 46MM, but a very good price if you can deal with the size.

Fortunately, not being a small person, large watches work for me. Knowing my penchant for the "different" the latest: a Benarus Sea Devil, #10 of 50.

RMD

Nice. I like the beveled bezel/cuts - different than the usual approach. What's the upper crown for?

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Manual Helium release valve. For me: decoration.

Smile

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Stopped at a local Breitling AD yesterday to look at the SOH II. Damn it. It's a very nice looking watch. The 46 fit me pretty perfect with the mesh bracelet. So now I have something else to put my pennies toward.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
Stopped at a local Breitling AD yesterday to look at the SOH II. Damn it. It's a very nice looking watch. The 46 fit me pretty perfect with the mesh bracelet. So now I have something else to put my pennies toward.

For me, a 46mm watch would have to be molded convex on the back to conform to the size/shape of my wrist. Smile I like <39mm.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I thought it wore smaller than it was. The lugs were nicely tapered and layer nicely on the wrist. I really felt no difference between the SOH II and the Luminox 4221 ANU I wore in there which I think is 44.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The Seiko SLA017 62MAS seems very luminous - is it self illuminating or does it require a light source? Is that typical of seiko luminous watches or special for that model?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The Seiko SLA017 62MAS seems very luminous - is it self illuminating or does it require a light source? Is that typical of seiko luminous watches or special for that model?

Tritium tubes are self-illuminating, lume requires a light source to charge it.

Seiko's have always been famous for the quality lume. I'm not aware of any Seiko watches that utilize tritium tubes. I may well be wrong.

RMD

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seiko's have always been famous for the quality lume. I'm not aware of any Seiko watches that utilize tritium tubes. I may well be wrong.

Ok, so the Seiko above can be assumed to be not self-illuminating (ie - not tritium). I tried to find a Seiko with tritium (at least in my price range) and couldn't find one. So, it didn't appear that they use tritium (as far as I know, they choose not to - radiation concerns).

The Seiko luminosity above is amazing, especially given what seems to be ample ambient light. I would like a watch like that (in fact, maybe even less bright).

Wish there was some sort of spec (lumens or something) that watch makers could indicate. Very hard to determine how good the lume for a watch is online.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Lume varies greatly from watch model to watch model as well as by manufacturer. Diving watches generally are "supposed" to have good lume. Not always true. If you want to see real lume, look at a Helm Vanuata II! Mine is easily readable at 0500 when I get up.

A little trick, take that tactical flashlight you have on the night stand and hit your Seiko with it for 10 or so seconds before you go to bed.

Lume all night long!

Crazy wild lume: Steinhart Triton 100:

RMD

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've taken the 350 lumen surefire to my casio (30 seconds) and it's luminous for 15 seconds and then dims quickly. Not happy with the casio luminous capability. Perhaps all the more amazed am I with the Seiko picture.

I'm looking for a high contrast hand/face analog watch with exceptional luminosity (even if just hands) - bright and long lasting. And of course reasonably priced Smile

I envy you guys with these nice watches that are beyond my budget Smile

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I've taken the 350 lumen surefire to my casio (30 seconds) and it's luminous for 15 seconds and then dims quickly. Not happy with the casio luminous capability.

Yep. I dive with a Casio Duro, and the lume is just about useless. In fact, it's said that the lack of lume is the only thing holding it back from being an ISO-certified dive watch, because everything else about it is great! I consider it the best dive watch one can buy for less than $100...let alone the >$50 it usually goes for. But if I ever need to look at it in the dark I'll have to pull out my flashlight. :-(

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yeah the SLA017 is just lume, not tritium. Here's a pic someone else just put up. It is bright!

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Yeah the SLA017 is just lume, not tritium. Here's a pic someone else just put up. It is bright!

r0gue, you have too much time on your hands Wink

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's his time to shine brightly.

Or, these are bright times for him.