SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
Seiko Alpinist today. Smile

[/URL]

Love the finish on the dial. What's the 4 o'clock pusher for?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Not a pusher. It's for rotating the internal bezel.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:

That's to turn the internal compass bezel. Using the sun as a reference point, you can use the watch to figure out north. It should be able to keep me from walking in circles, well, at least not small circles...

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Just putting this here as a nod to the best watch strap dude there is: Greg Stevens. This strap was custom made by Greg, so that it could be sewn onto the lugs. The strap is more than ten years old and just gets better and better Smile

Greg Stevens Design

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
quote:

That's to turn the internal compass bezel. Using the sun as a reference point, you can use the watch to figure out north. It should be able to keep me from walking in circles, well, at least not small circles...

That's a neat trick. Smile

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Tudor Black Bay Black

and with its big brother:

I have a soft spot for black dialed divers....

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
^^^

Good looking pair!

How does the Black Bay wear compared to the Sub?

-ShneaSIG

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larger. But not in a bad way. It is slightly larger in diameter. And that's visible.

However, from the dimensions I can find online, the BB is a slightly thinner watch but feels thicker. There's more case and less bezel. Plus the case sides are less contoured more slab-like. Also, the large crown that protrudes a fair amount without guards adds to the feeling of size.

Overall, I'm very pleased and it's definitely a keeper. But it's a different watch from the Sub, especially on leather.

A side note on the leather strap is that Tudor installs it "backwards" with the short side at 6 o'clock. I'm not sure I like this and may swap it around. A day or two at the office with some typing will be the deciding factor. I already had to pull the second keeper off the strap as, with my big wrist, it wasn't doing anything to hold the strap in place and was just flopping around. But I end up doing this to most standard straps anyway.

posted Hide Post
That's a great looking BB.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
Some old one I got lying around. Still runs like a champ.

Oh, that old thing? Wink

How long have you had it?

I've had it for a few years since my dad gave it to me. His good friend gave it to him way back, because I recall first seeing it in the early 80s.

As for the date of this watch, I haven't dated it by serial# yet, but I think late 50s early 60s. Gonna get it serviced soon, so it can last another 50 years or so. It's too lightweight for my taste. I prefer big/heavy watches like the Sea Dweller, or for dress, the Datejust in 36mm or larger.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:
quote:

Larger. But not in a bad way. It is slightly larger in diameter. And that's visible.

However, from the dimensions I can find online, the BB is a slightly thinner watch but feels thicker. There's more case and less bezel. Plus the case sides are less contoured more slab-like. Also, the large crown that protrudes a fair amount without guards adds to the feeling of size.

Overall, I'm very pleased and it's definitely a keeper. But it's a different watch from the Sub, especially on leather.

A side note on the leather strap is that Tudor installs it "backwards" with the short side at 6 o'clock. I'm not sure I like this and may swap it around. A day or two at the office with some typing will be the deciding factor. I already had to pull the second keeper off the strap as, with my big wrist, it wasn't doing anything to hold the strap in place and was just flopping around. But I end up doing this to most standard straps anyway.

I love the look of the Black Bay. I tried one on recently, and it's probably as big as my flimsy little wrists can bear, but I think I can pull it off.

The leather strap looks great, too - I think most watches look better on straps v.s. bracelets, but I think bracelets wear more comfortably.

I'm waiting for the new version of the Black Bay, with the in-house movement, which likely won't be available in my area for some time. I am very attracted to the 70 hour power reserve. So, I'm trying to be patient.

-ShneaSIG

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Some old one I got lying around. Still runs like a champ.

Oh, that old thing? Wink

How long have you had it?

I've had it for a few years since my dad gave it to me. His good friend gave it to him way back, because I recall first seeing it in the early 80s.

As for the date of this watch, I haven't dated it by serial# yet, but I think late 50s early 60s. Gonna get it serviced soon, so it can last another 50 years or so. It's too lightweight for my taste. I prefer big/heavy watches like the Sea Dweller, or for dress, the Datejust in 36mm or larger.

Very cool to have an heirloom piece like that. Might make a great gift to pass along in your family when the time is right.

-ShneaSIG

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
This is a few months old, but it is my latest and greatest, Bremont Supermarine s500/bk

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Black Bay looks great.

Those Seiko Alpinists are a really great color of green. I've been tempted.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
The leather strap looks great, too - I think most watches look better on straps v.s. bracelets, but I think bracelets wear more comfortably.

I'm waiting for the new version of the Black Bay, with the in-house movement, which likely won't be available in my area for some time. I am very attracted to the 70 hour power reserve. So, I'm trying to be patient.

TBH, I'm somewhat the opposite. I find straps to be more comfortable than bracelets but I do agree that straps are nicer looking.

This Tudor is the first "real" watch I've bought on a strap, though. Something about the combo of the aged leather plus the signed deployant plus owning a Sub that stays on its bracelet was the reasoning for this purchase. I've always bought on bracelet and then swapped to a strap. Buying a watch on a bracelet, even if seldom used, is cheaper than buying the watch on a strap and then adding the bracelet later and the option of the bracelet is nice to have.

I pulled the trigger on this BB now instead of wating for the in-house if only because I like the original dial layout more. A longer power reserve is a plus, though.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Leftnose,

I keep re-opening this thread and scrolling up to your Black Bay pictures. Such a good looking watch!

-ShneaSIG

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
A little bit of a wrist shot for you then:

Unfortunately, my camera phone skills lag far behind my real camera skills.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:
A little bit of a wrist shot for you then:

Unfortunately, my camera phone skills lag far behind my real camera skills.

I love it! Big Grin

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
Marathon GSAR on a perlon strap.

[/URL]

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
You've got some mighty nice toys, brminpin!

-ShneaSIG