SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I must learn not to comment on things that require good vision until my eyes can focus (that'd be 4 cups of coffee minimum).

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue: I must learn not to comment on things that require good vision until my eyes can focus (that'd be 4 cups of coffee minimum).

In your defense, that barrel bridge DOES look a lot like a battery strap. And not many people have seen a ONE JEWEL mechanical movement. Your confusion was understandable.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
anybody have a rec for a nice watch box? I have a caddy now and would like to replace it with a watch box for 5 or 6 watches but with a drawer and/or tray for all of my other EDC crap.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket: anybody have a rec for a nice watch box?

How many watches total, and how many of those are automatics?

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket: anybody have a rec for a nice watch box?

How many watches total, and how many of those are automatics?

I want one that will hold 8 or 10 watches. I have a few autos but do not need a winding box but would like a glass top so my EcoDrives stay wound.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket: I want one that will hold 8 or 10 watches. I have a few autos but do not need a winding box but would like a glass top so my EcoDrives stay wound.

Here's one you might like:

http://www.watchboxco.com/coll...-storage-compartment

The company has a large assortment of other models, including some with winders, as well.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What are my choices for luxury brand GMT watches? I'm starting my research for my "wedding watch."

The Rolex GMT Master II is high on the list. I currently have a Submariner No Date and an Air King.

What are some other interesting choices out there?

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
What are my choices for luxury brand GMT watches? I'm starting my research for my "wedding watch."

The Rolex GMT Master II is high on the list. I currently have a Submariner No Date and an Air King.

There are lots, but I have to admit the only Rolex that I could see having would be that one, preferably a Batman!

Some of the others that have options (budget notwithstanding) include Lange, AP, Blancpain, Breguet, Frank Muller, Glashutte Original, Jaeger, Nomos, Patek(!), Mille(!!!), Omega, Sinn, Ulysse Nardin, probably others.

With an unlimited budget, those could all be fun. With a more sane budget, still lots of good options!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket: I want one that will hold 8 or 10 watches. I have a few autos but do not need a winding box but would like a glass top so my EcoDrives stay wound.

The company has a large assortment of other models, including some with winders, as well.

That's pretty nice, especially with the drawer for tools, straps, etc.

I'm still using a cheap-ish 4-winder plus 2-static box, with no additional storage. That means all the extra bits are in a drawer in dresser, not ideal.

Of course after one failure, that is actually on a 3-winder now, but I keep a 7-day movement watch on the dead slot.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

thanks. I do like that one and one other on that site.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

Omega makes a number of GMT's... Seamaster, Planet Ocean, and this stunning Aqua Terra.

http://www.authenticwatches.co...01.html#.WD89jbIrIUE

Rolex also makes a GMT Explorer.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YellowJacket:

...this stunning Aqua Terra.

And only $10,595.00 this week! Eek

A nice watch, nonetheless.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

And only $10,595.00 this week!

In all seriousness, price in stainless is in the range of Rolex GMT, and not quite as nutty for a mere Omega (says the guy who loves his Planet Ocean)

Even available lightly used......

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

This thread is probably not a great place for those looking to avoid sticker shock.

He mentioned a GMT Master II which is $7600 in SS, $10,500 in two-tone, and almost $26,000 in gold.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

This thread is probably not a great place for those looking to avoid sticker shock.

He mentioned a GMT Master II which is $7600 in SS, $10,500 in two-tone, and almost $26,000 in gold.

I know, I bought my SS Rolex GMT Master (pre-Master II) in 1983 and hardly a day goes by that I don't wear it. Thirty-three years ago my watch cost just less than 10% of what they're going for now. That's right, I paid $700 for it. Best $700 I ever spent, too, and if I could afford it, I'd spend $7,600 for a new one! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Rumor floating that Breitling is for sale. Independent for now, but maybe not for much longer.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20301 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you want sporty and casual, or a more dressy style?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd look for the older Rolex GMT myself. An original would be expensive but many of the later GMTs are not too expensive and I think they are better looking than the current models.

Grand Seiko makes some nice GMTs, if you want something a little different. The movements are beautiful, and the cases are better finished than all but the very best of the European watches. GS is, I think, better made than a Rolex.

The dial is nice on this one:

http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/9s86/

A review:

https://www.hodinkee.com/artic...-gmt-with-green-dial

Others:

http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/mechanical.php

http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/springdrive.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
One other brand you might consider that has a solid reputation, is built pretty tank-like and is a little off the beaten path (which always appeals to me)

Stowa

German company, ordering is direct unless you spend three years chasing an out of production model like I did for my last.

On their GMT model you also can select hand color, strap type, and with or without date. Very cool.