SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Picked this up a few days ago on a layover.

It”s big (46.2 mm) but the more I wear it the more I like it. I had been doing more complicated faces recently and I really am enjoying the simplicity of this one. Plus I am a sucker for a blue face.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
You guys are a bad influence.

I picked up another SKX last week, this one in orange, since it looks like the SKXs are being discontinued now.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For the longest time I rarely wore this inherited piece. It is completely original including the signed "hidden" crown (1965 ST168.004). Stainless case, champagne dial, gold accents.

It's 36mm case size is significantly smaller than my normal tool watch. But in point of fact the dial size is indeed comparable to them as their cases support functioning bezels or chunkiness befitting their design objectives.
It is very lightweight on the wrist. Indeed a timeless classic. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Glycine watch question if you can stomach it. This is a bit long but I'll eventually get to my point about their bronze Combat Subs.

A friend bought a stainless Glycine Combat Sub last week from Costco. He paid $299. It has the older crown logo on the dial and stem instead of the newer winged logo, which surprised me. I thought that prior to Glycine being bought by Invicta, Glycine had already changed over to their new winged logo. That would have been in the 2016 time frame I think.

I looked online at Costco and the Combat Sub photograph shows the watch sporting the newer winged logo. Its just a stock photo I'm sure so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The watch online is the GL0076 and is priced at $299.

On Amazon the Combat Sub photos have the newer winged logos too and are priced at $595 +/-, as are all of the Combat Subs on Amazon.

In the online photos none of them appear to have drilled lugs either but I've always heard they had drilled lugs in years past. Maybe eliminating drilled lugs was one of Invicta's cost cutting measures.

I think its been too long for Costco to have found some new old stock after almost 3 years. And, Costco wouldn't sell refurb's as being new stock either (I don't think). So maybe Glycine is cobbling together watches with some older parts or they are changing back to the older logo to try and distance themselves from their parent company Invicta due to declining sales.

Anyway, I want a bronze Combat Sub - I think the bronze Combat Sub is the best looking bronze watch available and I wouldn't mind having one at a good price. So I'm just curious what the deal is with the Glycine watch logos. Is there any consistency or is this just Invicta messing around too much with Glycine.

Has anyone seen new Combat Subs with the original crown logo?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
For the longest time I rarely wore this inherited piece. It is completely original including the signed "hidden" crown (1965 ST168.004). Stainless case, champagne dial, gold accents.

It's 36mm case size is significantly smaller than my normal tool watch. But in point of fact the dial size is indeed comparable to them as their cases support functioning bezels or chunkiness befitting their design objectives.
It is very lightweight on the wrist. Indeed a timeless classic. Big Grin

beautiful

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The IWC pilot is nice.

And the mid-century Constellation is great.

Good choices.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I love the pie plate Connie!

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I scooped up a neat Hamilton Khaki King Scuba. I love the dial and day date locations on this watch. Shame Hamilton discontinued this version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Picked this up for a pittance. I don't like day/date/month windows, but I thought the calendar dial and hand were cool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I scooped up a neat Hamilton Khaki King Scuba. I love the dial and day date locations on this watch. Shame Hamilton discontinued this version.

Oh dude, that's amazing.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
WWII Record British Army ATP

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
WWII Record British Army ATP

Lots of wabi on that piece!

(For those that don't get the reference: http://www.thetimebum.com/2013...ection-wabi-and.html)

Anyone have a Bauhaus or Max Bill style watch, especially with a white, off white, or silver face?

I've always been basically a tool / military watch guy with chronos, divers, and GMTs. But the minimalist style is intriguing. Models from Junghans, Sternglas, and Klasern have tweaked my interest. All are 38mm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone here have one of these? I’ve really enjoyed my Tissot T-Navigator. It got me looking at some of their dive watches (my fav type of watch) and I kinda like this one. I might get one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Based on looks, you should get that Tissot. Very handsome.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might be the best place to ask this question-

I have an old Bulova, easily from the 50's. The band is leather and in good shape, but it is drying up and getting brittle. How would I go about getting it back into shape.

I'm thinking mink oil. Would that ruin it?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Try a leather restorer called Lexol. Most tack store should have it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We used “Blackrock leather enrich” on older, dried out leather items we renovated at the saddlery. We all preferred it to Lexol, although Lexol is a good bit less expensive. Lexol has a lot of water in it.

https://www.blackrock-leather....krock-leather-n-rich

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

I need to find a good photo hosting site, and toss up some pictures

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
CPD SIG,

This is a pretty good image sharing site. Link to Post Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I acquired something interesting. While waiting on my real Omega Seamaster to get a MUCH needed and detailed service from Omega as well as lots of new and expensive factory parts I came across the opportunity to get a Super Clone for the price of a real bezel/insert.

I did a bit of quick research and discovered this particular Super Clone/ fake was considered to be one of the best regarding detail and accuracy and even used a Swiss high beat movement (Asian copy but damn accurate). I decided to see how it stacks up against my more obvious fake Seamaster, a sterile dual Chinese made piece of junk that I will eventually disassemble as I learn more about my newfound hobby/obsession.

The fit, finish and accuracy of this thing is shocking. Matching serial numbers on the case and movement and even damn good lume that is correct for this reference. It even has all the anti counterfeit etchings and they look professional. Eek

No way in the world I’ll ever buy an Omega from a 3rd party after looking at this clone. It’s scary good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~