SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yes, lume is often the weak spot on many of these watches. You can always have it re-lumed, but doubtful it is worth the effort and costs for most of us.

Who restored your 6105 for you, Jack Alexyon?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
First new watch of 2016. Two out, one in for the year. I'm running a pretty tight ship now (for a watch nerd).

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Yes, lume is often the weak spot on many of these watches. You can always have it re-lumed, but doubtful it is worth the effort and costs for most of us.

Who restored your 6105 for you, Jack Alexyon?

RMD

I had considered Mr Alexyon, but decided to try Spencer Klein, in Colorado.

I don't think there is any lume that matches what Seiko uses. Mr Klein has his own formula when he re-lumed my 6105, he told me that Seiko's lume is superb, but it tends to fog up the inside of the crystal over time.

I can't believe how much money I have tied up in my 6105, and how much they are selling for now.

Pictures of restored 6105
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...330043904#4330043904

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
First new watch of 2016.

Why doesn't this site have a "Like" button. Anyway, I really like this one.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
First new watch of 2016. Two out, one in for the year. I'm running a pretty tight ship now (for a watch nerd).

And a nice one it is! Beautiful!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

I can't believe how much money I have tied up in my 6105, and how much they are selling for now.

Looking at your pictures, I would say it was money well spent! Beautiful work.

RMD

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Stowa - a lesser known but innovative and reliable German brand, has just released a matte version of their Marine line. Got an email from them promoting it, the first few pieces going for much less than standard price.

For a simple piece I really like it. Have one of their watches already, an Antea Classic Museum Edition. Really don't need another. Which, of course, means nothing if I keep that page open and looking at it..... Eek

Link to their page for this, and the rest of their collection.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous piece r0gue!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd like a shot at that when you decide to retire it! Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek Just looked up the Glashutte, be a while before I'm in the market for anything like that.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Very nice Rogue.

That watch would only look good on a strap. But I find that in Houston's climate, leather always feels sweaty and sticky, so I am saved from myself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Looking at your pictures, I would say it was money well spent! Beautiful work.

RMD

Thank you for that compliment, I was very, very pleased wih Mr Klein's work.

Mr Alexyon of IWW, has done watch work for me in the past, his work is excellent, but for some reason I chose Klein Vintage for the resto.

For me, Good Seiko watches are hard to beat. Would live to have a Sawtooth!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
What is the consensus on Orient watches? I love orange divers, and the Orient Men's SEL03002M0M-Force Stainless Steel Watch with Link Bracelet and 40 hour power reserve indicator has really caught my eye -- even if the date isn't where I'm used to having it:

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think Orient makes a good watch for a fair price.

I don't care for that one, though. I have never been a fan of a power reserve complication. I also think the black and silver bezel is too busy.

But that is just personal preference.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Great thread. I don't have thousands to spend. Maybe up to 300 for a nice dive watch. Been kicking around. What is the consensus on Victorinox and Stuhrling?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Seiko divers, $300 and up. These are all good watches.

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-S...K36D68SYMVD9FVSZRMSR

https://www.amazon.com/PROSPEX...keywords=seiko+diver

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-S...keywords=seiko+diver

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I like the Seiko line as well for their value, utility, and general good function. They lack exclusivity, but at $300 most watches will unless you find a micro maker from Asia and that can be a bit of a risk.

Victorinox and Stuhrling are both fine lines, though I think one tends to pay a bit for their names as well as their hardware.

Good luck,

RMD

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the Seiko line as well for their value, utility, and general good function. They lack exclusivity, but at $300 most watches will unless you find a micro maker from Asia and that can be a bit of a risk.

Victorinox and Stuhrling are both fine lines, though I think one tends to pay a bit for their names as well as their hardware.

Good luck,

RMD

Thanks for your response. Seiko seems to be very popular with the membership. I need a beater watch for work. I'm a welder/fabricator and I don't look to spend very much on that at all. I have a dress watch my wife bought for me, but I'd also like a weekend watch. I've always wanted a Luminox but recent reviews here have me looking at other lines. For some reason this watch really caught my eye.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008...e93a50ad8ba2f42c9d_S

And of course this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...oliid=I20HVXLRBABS1O

Now can someone please explain what an automatic is? I understand the term in the firearms world, but have no clue what it means in the watch world.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:

Good luck,

RMD

Thanks for your response. Seiko seems to be very popular with the membership. I need a beater watch for work. I'm a welder/fabricator and I don't look to spend very much on that at all. I have a dress watch my wife bought for me, but I'd also like a weekend watch. I've always wanted a Luminox but recent reviews here have me looking at other lines. For some reason this watch really caught my eye.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008...e93a50ad8ba2f42c9d_S

And of course this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...oliid=I20HVXLRBABS1O

Now can someone please explain what an automatic is? I understand the term in the firearms world, but have no clue what it means in the watch world.

And automatic watch is simply one that does not require a battery. Quartz means a battery operated movement.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
...An automatic watch is simply one that does not require a battery...

I believe it would also be self-winding.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post