SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Just got my Dad's watch repaired. It was his wedding gift in 1954 and is inscribed as such on the back.

It's a bump wind, hasn't run in 60 years. Watchmaker opened it up in front of me and the bridges are beautiful! Shiny copper like rose gold.

Found the problem, full service, now it's like new. Smile

Here's the band he had on it.

Underside

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snapping Twig,

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful. If money was no object an Omega would be what I would own. No question about it.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Just got my Dad's (Omega) watch repaired. It was his wedding gift in 1954

Well done!

Had to laugh as the 1965 Omega Constellation Pie-Pan I inherited had a broken Spidel bracelet much like yours on it. The watch wasn't running either but a repair by a reputable watchmaker and a new cognac crocodile strap to offset the champagne dial and gold highlights brought things back to life in style. Big Grin

Not reposting an image of it as it can be found in this thread already here:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...400096964#7400096964

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got my Dad's watch repaired. It was his wedding gift in 1954 and is inscribed as such on the back.
It's a bump wind, hasn't run in 60 years. Watchmaker opened it up in front of me and the bridges are beautiful! Shiny copper like rose gold.

I've never owned a bumper. Been considering them for a bit now. In particular one fro Jaeger-LeCoultre.

Congrats on getting your dad's watch going. A father's watch is the entry to this silliness for many of us.

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
A little custom strap action for the weekend! H. Moser & Cie. on a hand stitched alligator strap, with round scale alligator backing.

That watch deserves a fancy-pants strap like that. Nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Omega is a beauty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post

It' back! 5 week turnaround, which I'm happy with as they quoted 10. They replaced about half the pins and collars in the bracelet, judging from the baggie of parts they sent back with it. Replaced the crown, but kept the original hands. The bezel is now smooth turning and they did a wonderful job of removing all the scuffs from the underside of the bracelet clasp. It tested on their machine as being -30 slow when they got it and +2 sec/day when they finished. It looks very nearly new. I'm extremely pleased.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Could you direct me to a quality 18mm strap for the Omega?

I picked up this lizard strap cheap and... it's cheap. Watch sits off my wrist 1/4" when I tried it. Sort of like the Alpinist strap I threw away.

Looking at brown, no stitches if possible or discrete stitching, something period correct.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
copaup, whoa! They did a fantastic job! I love that model Seamaster. I have one just like it that I plan on giving my father next year as a retirement gift. He comments all the time on how much he loves his Glycine Combat because of how thin and comfortable it is. He is hard on his watches and tends to beat the snot out of them so it’ll be interesting to see how long the Seamaster stays nice looking. Those older wavy dial Seamaster watches were perfect as far as dimensions go, not too small, thin and so comfortable I often forget I’m wearing a watch.

Congrats! That’s a fantastic watch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've loved this particular Seamaster variant since it came out. It's the rare occasion that I actually prefer the smaller version of a watch. It's light and thin enough that it fits under a shirt cuff without issue. The wave dial is a thing of beauty when it catches the light. Stunning watch and I like it more every time I put it on.

My father in law bought it in 2001 and rarely wore it outside of business meetings. I intend to give it a bit more wear than that. Assuming travel opens back up a bit next year I intend to take a long motorcycle trip. Rick was big into bikes as well and it seems appropriate that his watch goes with me.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Also, I just checked the timing with the ol Mk 1 Eyeball and NIST. After 24 hours of wear it appears to still be LESS than 2 seconds off of NIST time.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on the Seiko SNZG09J1? (Made in Japan)

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Buy it from a reputable source. Believe it or not there are LOTS of fake Seiko’s on the market including that model.

Otherwise it’s a great watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was given a very interesting watch to attempt to fix this past weekend.

This watch belonged to my cousin who unfortunately died in a bad car accident when he was 18. He was an avid surfer and apparently loved this watch. Yep..thats the crown sitting there in the first pic. Frown I wasn’t expecting it to break so easily.

Upon first glance I was thinking ok it’s some sort of rebranded SKX007. This should be easy. Then I opened the caseback....

Wasn’t expecting to see this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys!

I picked up this lizard strap cheap and... it's cheap. Watch sits off my wrist 1/4" when I tried it. Sort of like the Alpinist strap I threw away.

Looking at brown, no stitches if possible or discrete stitching, something period correct.

Price range? A great strap makes a humble watch great. A cheap strap makes a great watch ghastly. I have never found a strap I liked for much less than $100. It's your dad's watch. Treat it right.

Any of these -- particularly the Berthold, would be superb on that!

https://www.crownandbuckle.com...hop-black-label.html

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Any thoughts on the Seiko SNZG09J1? (Made in Japan)

I believe that's got the same 7S36 movement as SNZG16J1 -- I have SNZG15J1 and it's a solid everyday watch. I'd recommend it. It's not fancy, but it's certainly one that can take everyday use.

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Thanks guys!

Price range? A great strap makes a humble watch great. A cheap strap makes a great watch ghastly. I have never found a strap I liked for much less than $100. It's your dad's watch. Treat it right.

Any of these -- particularly the Berthold, would be superb on that!

https://www.crownandbuckle.com...hop-black-label.html

Thanks!

I'm torn between the Berthold and the IMRE.

Your thoughts?

ETA

I went with the Berthold. I looked at vintage Omega straps and it is similar. This watch is @ 1952, the arabics and no Seamaster on the dial are unique to 52/53.

Matches my Sig P210 from 51/52. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snapping Twig,

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm torn between the Berthold and the IMRE.
Your thoughts?

ETA

I went with the Berthold. I looked at vintage Omega straps and it is similar. This watch is @ 1952, the arabics and no Seamaster on the dial are unique to 52/53....

I think the IMRE might have drawn the yellow gold warmer colors a lot, which I personally like to tone down. I think you went the right route. Do you have a springbar tool? If not, you will need to get one. You can't go wrong with Bergeon (6767), but that said,, this is a simple tool, so you could go cheaper with good success ....I would assume.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spr...ool&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Two days ago I scheduled a DHL pickup (it was free) and my watch was headed to Singapore later that day! Yesterday it was in Los Angeles. Cool It has been a pleasure dealing with both DHL and Gnomon thus far. I was told I should have my beautiful Le Jour back in about 1-2 weeks tops. Hopefully the sub dial hand issue doesn’t return after they realign the hands.

The blue anti reflective coating on this baby is quite blue. It will even throw off a bright blue reflection when the sun catches it right. The flat crystal really helps it do that.

You can see in this picture why it’s headed back to Gnomon. Look at the minute sub dial hand. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Something like that drives me nutz.

My sweep seconds hand was offset on the Sinn. Not enough to send it back to the mothership, but it constantly reminded me when I looked at it.

(UN)fortunately, I changed the time in the evening and broke the calendar function, so I had a reason to send it back. Knowing the dial had to come off, I said nothing about the alignment since they'd have to redo it anyway, and they did it right.

Also, while it was there anyway, I asked them to regulate it, which they did.

Advice hard earned...

Do not set the time on your 7750 after 7p. Calendar engages and things can go sideways.