SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite watches I own is a Hamilton Khaki King Scuba. It has a super cool vintage vibe going with the black dial and I love how they arranged the day and date locations. Unfortunately this watch has been discontinued for a few years now so I didn’t really plan on finding a clean silver dial automatic example with the blue bezel insert ref: H64545153 for a VERY good price. I have the Quartz version but it is soulless and is in pretty rough condition.

In the sub $500 category this was my grail watch. I have a minty example inbound!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the find! That is a looker. Cool

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's a sweet Hamilton, stick!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
One of my favorite watches I own is a Hamilton Khaki King Scuba. It has a super cool vintage vibe going with the black dial and I love how they arranged the day and date locations. Unfortunately this watch has been discontinued for a few years now so I didn’t really plan on finding a clean silver dial automatic example with the blue bezel insert ref: H64545153 for a VERY good price. I have the Quartz version but it is soulless and is in pretty rough condition.

In the sub $500 category this was my grail watch. I have a minty example inbound!!!

Very nice -- congratulations. I really need to add a Hamilton to my rotation...I keep looking at the Jazzmaster chronograph line, both in black and blue and in automatic or quartz, and they all look very nice to my eye. One of these days it'll happen.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Well, another micro-brand strikes again! After getting all the Helms, and an Aquatico, Zelos, a couple Richard LeGrand, etc. I figured I had enough… until I saw this Direnzo Eclipse. The retro style really struck my fancy and I decided I had to have one. Ordered it back in June and just got it 2 weeks ago. Came with the bracelet, a very nice leather band and a NATO. It’s Swiss made (SW-200-1) and, so far, keeps very good time. I set it when I got it and this morning it was 10 seconds fast, not bad after a couple of weeks. I opted for the no-date version.

Here it is… figured I’d show it with all the bands.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a beautiful watch! I was quite tempted by their blue dial version. That dial has a vintage and extremely unique vibe going on.

Nothing against Hamilton’s bracelet, it’s ok I guess but this watch feels MUCH better on a nice brushed 20mm shark mesh bracelet. There are elements of this watch that remind me very much of it’s corporate cousin Omega, specifically the old Seamaster (Pierce Brosnan era) as well as the newest Seamaster. The bezel insert on this baby looks to be almost the identical color and catches the light the same as my 1999 Seamaster. The overall appearance is similar to the silver dial unofficial Daniel Craig era Bond watch.

And into the heavy rotation it goes. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I love my Rolex James Cameron DSSD but, while traveling I'd really like to have a watch with a GMT complication, that's not as valuable as the Explorer II (Polar) that I'm still lusting for. After an extensive search, I found a great deal on a Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT that seems to fit the bill quite nicely. A pretty watch that looks very different than my "Diver" style, is quite reliable (according to posters here) and it's a lot of watch for less than $1000.00. Pics from the internet, since I'm going to have to wait a bit for mine to arrive. I'll have the stainless steel band on it when it arrives, but I'm considering an Alligator strap as an alternative. Suggestions?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
That Alpina is stunning!

I'm partial to Beads of Rice stainless for it.
Give it a vintage look.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In respect for the passing of Sir Sean Connery I will post what I am wearing tonight at work. My tribute to Goldfinger. I know it isn’t a vintage Rolex Submariner no-date but, I do enjoy this Casio diver. Someday when the kids are gone and the house is paid for I will get that Submariner. Let’s see what you have!!!

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
That Casio diver, despite being just $50 is a long standing heavy hitter bargain. One of my sons has one and like you, immensely enjoys it. Don't be embarrassed by owning one. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
That Casio diver, despite being just $50 is a long standing heavy hitter bargain. ...Don't be embarrassed by owning one.

I concur. I've had mine down to 60 feet multiple times, and in both warm and cold water, and -- as the old TV commercial for a different brand used to say -- it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I, too, put mine on a "Bond" strap, even going so far as to buy an RAF strap that was slightly too narrow, in homage to Goldfinger. (After taking some pictures I put it on a properly-sized NATO strap.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No embarrassment here. I discovered that watch last year by posts here. Reviews online were/are top notch. Love this thread. I do have an older Tag chronograph and a Tissot chronograph as my “high end” watches but, will get an Omega someday.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Came across this site which I found interesting. Build your own watch kits. Not sure about how the kits are in terms of value as I don't know what sourcing individual parts costs. I'm sure someone will weigh in.

https://diywatch.club/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Came across this site which I found interesting. Build your own watch kits. Not sure about how the kits are in terms of value as I don't know what sourcing individual parts costs. I'm sure someone will weigh in.

https://diywatch.club/

That is cool!!!! Now you got me thinking....

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s finally happened. Frown I’m going to get to experience Gnomon’s customer service.

I bought this as a daily beater so I didn’t beat the hell out of my Ball Fireman. The Valjoux 7750 movement inside keeps exquisite time. Better timekeeping than my Ball actually averaging about +1 second a day! I hate that I have to send it back but the minute subdial had a slight misalignment that I could originally live with BUT has only gotten worse in the less than two weeks I’ve owned it and worn it exclusively. The hour subdial looks like it has an ever so slight misalignment as well.

This sucks. I’ll keep y’all posted on the situation. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the 7750 is an outstanding movement for durability and accuracy.

It isn't a fancy movement by any means, but it offers the ultimate bottom line of any mechanical watch - it works and it works well.

Accuracy should not shift over time either.

My 7750 is keeping 3+/day every day. Rivals any Rolex I've had or my Marinemaster 8L35. By this I mean consistency, no change in error. Same thing every day no matter what.

Hope you get the alignment sorted. Had the tach sweep hand offset and it bugged the crap out of me, now it's made right.

7750 has a peculiarity of the hands needing to be applied HARD, so unless the shop has the right tools, it's tough for them. I'm sure Gnomon has either the right tools or people to do this.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Gnomon offered to reimburse me up to $40 USD if I have a local watchmaker fix the alignment. I’m tempted to just send it back to them for repairs as they are an authorized dealer.

What should I do? What would you do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Gnomon sent me as shipping label and has thus far been an absolute pleasure to work with. I’m thinking it’s best to send it back to them as they are an authorized dealer.

I live 35 min from the nearest DHL drop off location. Ugh. Hopefully I can arrange some sort of way for them to pick it up? I really don’t want to drive to Greensboro because of this.

I'll keep y’all posted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I love my Rolex James Cameron DSSD but, while traveling I'd really like to have a watch with a GMT complication, that's not as valuable as the Explorer II (Polar) that I'm still lusting for. After an extensive search, I found a great deal on a Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT that seems to fit the bill quite nicely. A pretty watch that looks very different than my "Diver" style, is quite reliable (according to posters here) and it's a lot of watch for less than $1000.00. Pics from the internet, since I'm going to have to wait a bit for mine to arrive. I'll have the stainless steel band on it when it arrives, but I'm considering an Alligator strap as an alternative. Suggestions?

That is a good-looking watch. What is the bezel, marked with 1 to 36 measure?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I found a great deal on a Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT that seems to fit the bill quite nicely. A pretty watch that looks very different than my "Diver" style, is quite reliable (according to posters here) and it's a lot of watch for less than $1000.00. Pics from the internet, since I'm going to have to wait a bit for mine to arrive.

Very nice -- congrats. I'm a big fan of Alpina, and have two of my own.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post