SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I see myself selling far more watches than I acquire in 2021. Realistically there are only a few select watches that tempt me at this point....the Zenith El Primero & Sinn 206 Arktis II are at the top of my list along with a limited run Ball chronograph diver that is coming out soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Dfens, big thanks for that site recommendation. I only took a quick glance so far, but it that site is legit, that may very well be the way to go.

Definitely going to looking around at pre-owned, but I figure I’ve got nothing to lose and only knowledge to gain by stopping in a boutique. I’ll have to see who all around here sells them. Maybe BrianO has a suggestion. It’ll be the boutique in Bellevue that I’m going to. I’ll also be keeping an eye on jomashop.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Thanks, guys. Dfens, big thanks for that site recommendation. I only took a quick glance so far, but it that site is legit, that may very well be the way to go.

Definitely going to looking around at pre-owned, but I figure I’ve got nothing to lose and only knowledge to gain by stopping in a boutique. I’ll have to see who all around here sells them. Maybe BrianO has a suggestion. It’ll be the boutique in Bellevue that I’m going to. I’ll also be keeping an eye on jomashop.

Chrono24 can be a good site to use, but it's a mixed bag. Like eBay. Good people and bad people use it.

When you decide which Omega model you want, please feel free to reach out to me and I'll help you get what you want without getting burned. Not through me mind you, I'll just point you to places/people whom I would trust. What you want will be easy to find for a fair price.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that, I will absolutely shoot you an email once I’m a bit more dialed in. A little guidance to help keep from getting screwed would be highly appreciated.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Todays choice, Glycine Combat Sub

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites is back on my wrist this week after hibernating for a few weeks.

This somewhat rare/difficult to find Phantom Green Steinhart Ocean GMT might be my favorite in my growing DLC/PVD blacked out watch collection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Wow. That looks great. The face and hands are nice on their own, but what especially sets it apart are how the bracelet and bezel edge compliment each other. Very nice.

posted Hide Post
That face looks easier to read than the Hamilton Khaki from Jack Ryan.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Never seen a pvd coated mesh bracelet before. That's slick.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It didn’t originally come on mesh but it feels and IMO looks better on the PVD mesh bracelet and strap code butterfly clasp that has a ton of micro adjust built in. The adjustment is wonderful to have on mesh since it doesn’t require you cut off nearly as many links to fit a mesh bracelet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My Sinn 142StS is ALL PVD: case and bracelet. Manufacturered in December 1999. Big Grin One of my favorite Sinns along with the 156 Military. Smile Shows NO signs of PVD wear.

This is a shot MOZ took which is better than any of mine. (Screwdown crown pulled out in picture)

As an aside I liked this style Sinn bracelet so much that I bought one (Sinn 157 model) to fit my Heuer 510.503 and bead-blasted it to match the case. MUCH better than the factory bracelet shown below. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hey Stickman, any chance of a lume shot on that Steinhart? I've looked at, and thought about some of the stealth type Glycine Combat Subs, but side by side, that Steinhart looks much nicer.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My Sinn 142StS is ALL PVD: case and bracelet. Manufacturered in December 1999. Big Grin One of my favorite Sinns along with the 156 Military. Smile Shows NO signs of PVD wear.

So, not having any experience with PVD, should one take this to mean that the watch has been a safe queen and is mint condition, or that the finish holds up so well it looks brand new after more than twenty years?

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

quote:
My Sinn 142StS is ALL PVD: case and bracelet. Manufacturered in December 1999. Big Grin Shows NO signs of PVD wear.

So, not having any experience with PVD, should one take this to mean that the watch has been a safe queen and is mint condition, or that the finish holds up so well it looks brand new after more than twenty years?

Absolutely not! It sees a LOT of wrist time and has held up remarkedly well. Big Grin

I must not be too hard on my watches. When I recently had my Glycine Airman 46 (2002 vintage) and Marathon SAR (2001) sent in for service, the watchmaker commented that the SAR looked almost brand new.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Modern Sinn watches tegiment the parts they color.

Ultra hardening of the metal allows the color treatment to adhere and remain best.

Tegemented cases, bezels and bracelets rarely show any scratches, no matter the abuse.

Damasko does a similar thing and Sinn even does it with their solid gold cases.

Seikos' DLC (diamond like coating) pales by comparison, it's only a slight improvement in hardness. I have a Marinemaster with this coating and it scratches. Slight improvement, but nothing to write home about.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
bald1, I love that Sinn!!!!!!!! It’s perfect. Cool I have a Le Jour that is right now on its 2nd trip back from Singapore that is styled to look quite a bit like your beautiful Sinn. There is just something about that case shape that I adore. One day I hope to add a nice Sinn Chrono or two to my collection. Fingers crossed that this time the watchmakers were able to install the hands correctly on my Valjoux 7750. This last time the dang minute hand came flying off when I reset the chronograph. It was already having alignment issues.

Here ya go P220 Smudge,

Full disclosure this pic is right after I supercharged the lume with a VERY bright flashlight. In the pic it looks almost turquoise or bright green but it quickly fades to a deep green then slowly fades away. The lume on this watch sucks and is basically useless in all but an extremely dark environment with your eyes completely adjusted to the darkness. It’s a stealthy style watch so having bright lume doesn’t really make sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm still wanting to get my hands on a Seiko SKX007J.

Anyone here dealt with Creation Watches? Seems they're based in Singapore; I don't know if that really means anything one way or another.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge there is another DLC variant of the Ocean GMT with lots of lume. It’s also a limited edition/release item so when they are gone they are gone....

Link to Gnomon / Ocean 1 DLC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely not! It sees a LOT of wrist time and has held up remarkedly well. Big Grin

Ok, gotcha. That's a pretty impressive finish, then!

quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Modern Sinn watches tegiment the parts they color.

Ultra hardening of the metal allows the color treatment to adhere and remain best.

Tegemented cases, bezels and bracelets rarely show any scratches, no matter the abuse.

Thanks for that info, I feel like I've heard the name of the process before, but never really paid attention. I think I'll look into this.

Thanks for indulging me, Stickman. I hadn't really thought about the lume being understated on a stealth watch, but it makes sense. I think it looks good.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm ordering a new Breitling Superocean and to my pleasant surprise that Tudor is supplying movements now.

Breitling didn't go the cheap way like TAG with Sellita or STP.

The Tudor MT5612 they are using is light years better than the 2824-2. Even worlds above the 2892-2.

https://watchbase.com/breitling/caliber/b20

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post