SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin: A SD without an indicator:

Well, it HAS a power reserve indicator; it's just on the back. ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by brminpin: A bit out of my price range though.... ;-)

You and me both...especially me. Frown

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Nice GS! I've wanted an MM300 for a long time but I've never seen one in person to try on. That's a bit too much coin to drop sight unseen for me.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
brminpin

Nice watch, brminpin.

I'd like a spring drive, but they always put those power reserves on them, and I don't care for that complication. Seiko loves power reserve indicators, which seem useless to me.

A SD without an indicator:

https://www.hodinkee.com/artic...-micro-artist-studio

A bit out of my price range though.... ;-)

That is very Seiko, isn't it? Lovely. I'd love to see the dial in person.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted May 17 by jhe888:
I think that watch would look good on a Zulu strap. Or a leather Zulu strap. It has a classic oyster case, and those look good on sporty straps.

Having failed to find an exact replacement or any replacement parts, I contacted David Truong. His suggestion was much like yours, and he sent me a strap super-quick. Looks great! My "old faithful" Seiko is going back into service.

Thank you, jhe for the suggestion, and thank you David Truong for your generosity.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It looks great. Glad you can use it again.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted May 17 by jhe888:
I think that watch would look good on a Zulu strap. Or a leather Zulu strap. It has a classic oyster case, and those look good on sporty straps.

Having failed to find an exact replacement or any replacement parts, I contacted David Truong. His suggestion was much like yours, and he sent me a strap super-quick. Looks great! My "old faithful" Seiko is going back into service.

Thank you, jhe for the suggestion, and thank you David Truong for your generosity.

Did you call Seiko in NJ? It's my understanding that they keep an excellent inventory of end links and are happy to send out a set.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:

Did you call Seiko in NJ? It's my understanding that they keep an excellent inventory of end links and are happy to send out a set.

I made the same suggestion. No luck.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:

Nice, I like that band, wonder if it would fit on my Rolex, be a nice change from the gold and silver stock band...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
quote:
Need some help from the watch experts: Looking to pick up a nice, new watch for $350 - $500....

Here are my votes:

SARB033

SARB017

The SARB017 has much better fit and finish than the SARB033, but it's a bit pricier and does not have an exhibition back. Also, the 017 comes with a horrible strap so you'll most likely opt for the Seiko bracelet at ~$120 or a different real leather strap.

brminpin (and others), thanks for the comments/advice. It's come down to these two from my earlier posted list of a half-dozen or so -- I'll pick up a Swiss later down the road -- and, interestingly enough, your mention of the SARB017 made me consider that watch again, and at this point it's now become my focus and I've spent way too much time reading up and watching YouTube videos on it...everything about it has really grown on me (except the band, which will have to go...will probably opt for a stainless bracelet), and I think it'd be a bit more versatile dresser than the more classic/formal SARB033. But I do love the 033 as well...hope to (finally) pull the trigger on one tomorrow. No idea which one it'll be, though if I had to guess at this moment it's probably going to be the 017.

Just a quick update: I did end up buying the SARB017 Alpinist...received it a couple weeks ago, and replaced the leather band with a stainless bracelet...thankfully some research uncovered a Seiko-brand bracelet that was cheaper than the $150 bracelet marked for this particular 017 and fit just fine...looks a lot like this one (stock Internet shot), except my bracelet has a couple thin polished lines going down the center, which actually picks up the polish on the bezel very nicely:

I continue to be very comfortable and pleased with my decision. I haven't given up on the idea of the SARB033, though...maybe in a few years I'll pick that one up as well.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
Although it's nothing like other examples posted in this thread, here's my favorite. Number 1790 of 2500.
Orient TT0Z002B

Posts: 76 | Registered: November 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I continue to be very comfortable and pleased with my decision. I haven't given up on the idea of the SARB033, though...maybe in a few years I'll pick that one up as well.

Good looking watch! ;-)

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Laptop:
Although it's nothing like other examples posted in this thread, here's my favorite. Number 1790 of 2500.
Orient TT0Z002B

Got a close up?

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Having changed my 2-tone band on the Yachtmaster as of late. I was just recently sent this image in an email by one of the company's that I bought a leather strap from. Having a blue dial fetish, in the past I've had a coupe of blue dial Sub's and thought this would have been a welcome change from the 2-tone bands on them also.

I just switched the 2-tone for this leather band with the metal links at the case..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I both enjoy and dislike automatics, but I keep going to Amazon and staring at this Seiko SNZG15K1.

Thoughts, anyone?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:...Thoughts, anyone?

I like it. In case you're not familiar with Seiko 5s, just be aware that (unless it's different than mine) you can't manually wind it; it's self-winding only. That's a little strange, but you'll quickly get used to setting it every time you put it on and then doing some jumping jacks for a few minutes. ;-)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marathon GSAR with dark brown leather. It's been on for a couple of weeks and I'm digging the look and feel.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
I like it. In case you're not familiar with Seiko 5s, just be aware that (unless it's different than mine) you can't manually wind it; it's self-winding only. That's a little strange, but you'll quickly get used to setting it every time you put it on and then doing some jumping jacks for a few minutes. ;-)

Good to know! That sort of knowledge is exactly why I wanted to ask about it here.

The only thing that bugs me is that -- like most of the Citizen models I look at now -- the crystal is flat. That bugs me in my work environment, as there are tons of light sources from which to catch the glare. Most of my other watches have curved crystals, not presenting the glare problem.

God bless America.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I both enjoy and dislike automatics, but I keep going to Amazon and staring at this...

I've had one for several years. Great watch, no complaints. As mentioned, self-winding only, and no hacking (second hand doesn't stop when you pull the crown). The crystal is mineral, so it will scratch. I put a NATO band on it, and wore it on patrol for several years.

I've never really taken it into water, so I don't know how well it really does. My Marathon GSAR (similar to the one above) usually enjoys the water duties Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post

Quick shot of my new Trident. Going to be my daily watch. My Seiko Orange Monster will be my rough duty watch.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Got a close up?

Posts: 76 | Registered: November 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post