SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
That’s an interesting watch! How loud was the hum? I am not familiar with that movement. Was it a very accurate watch?

These were VERY accurate for their time. Not as accurate as today's thermocompensated Quartz, but quite an innovation for Bulova.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Just back from service. Langendorf movement, 1931 Scottish hallmarked case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s an interesting watch! How loud was the hum? I am not familiar with that movement. Was it a very accurate watch?

Plenty accurate. Probably superb when it was new. Loud enough to irritate the fuck out of me in a quiet office. With any kind of background noise, you wouldn't hear it. It was almost like having tinnitus.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Just back from service. Langendorf movement, 1931 Scottish hallmarked case

That's VERY nice. Enamel dial assume?

posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a Tsao Baltimore Torsk diver, it was assembled in Baltimore MD and was designed by a young watch enthusiast who lives in Maryland. It’s named after the WWII era submarine USS Torsk which you will find next to the Maritime Museum in Baltimore’s inner harbor. It is one of my favorite micro brands though it took me a while to find a strap I liked. I had it on either a red white and blue NATO (seen in one of the pics) or a blue NATO with a thick white stripe. Then yesterday I tried one of my new elastic straps and it was love at first sight. Finally a strap that looks perfect!!

That is a really cool watch and that strap is absolutely perfect on it. It looks like it should have come with it.

I like visiting the Torsk. If you're at all claustrophobic, however, do NOT go inside.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like visiting the Torsk. If you're at all claustrophobic, however, do NOT go inside.

Can you explain?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:

Can you explain?

The USS Torsk is a 75-year-old former US Navy submarine, open for public tours. It's tight quarters inside. See: http://usstorsk.org/ for more information.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrocket:
Snapping Twig the actual nomenclature is ...

104 St SA A B E

The bezel can move in both direction. This is a first for Sinn having both a color matching face and bezel other than black I believe.

Found a video review. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...BuY&feature=emb_logo

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrocket:
Thought I would add my modest and recently acquired Sinn to this fine watch thread...

I thought I had satisfied my watch desires then you show me something new. Thank you for sharing, now I have to decide if I should pursue one.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snapping Twig, thank you for posting the Sinn 104 LE video review. I hadn't seen it and the fellow reviewing it has outstanding lighting and display skills.

Very cool of you to share.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Just back from service. Langendorf movement, 1931 Scottish hallmarked case

That's VERY nice. Enamel dial assume?

Thanks. I believe so. Just enough cracks to be considered to be patina, not damage.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's easy to forget the hundreds of hours that it used to take to surf forums and classified hoping to get a little gem like this one. And people wonder how I'm doing so well with all this social distancing...

1958 Tudor Rolex Oyster Royal model 7934. Also known as "Small Rose", it had a very unique waffle dial, a heat blued second hand and wonderfully patinaed tritium.. Powered by a cal. 390, this little gem wore wonderfully at only 34mm. I kind of miss it. It was a charming little watch for almost no money at all.

posted Hide Post
That Tudor is stunning, exactly what I think of for a “dress” watch....

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
1958 Tudor Rolex Oyster Royal model 7934.

Beautiful!

Here's my 1951 Regent 7903. Couldn't believe no one else bid on it. Appears to be all original. Wears larger than 32mm would suggest. A keeper.

-Bomber Harris

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brian.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of those Tudors are stunning.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Thanks, Brian.
You're welcome.

When I was a boy, a navy sub came to my town of Everett, WA (30 miles north of Seattle) and my dad took me on one of the tours. Having been watching the TV series "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" for a couple of years at the time, I was shocked by how small the spaces in a REAL submarine were. I imagine it's the same for people who have grown up watching "The Hunt for Red October" and similar films when they visit the Torsk.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I realize it was only a week or so ago, but remember some years have passed in terms of the collection...
Today we have a return of the Yobokies modded Seiko Orange Monster. This time in a 4:00 crown format and with an airplane second hand. Similarly bead blasted case and bracelet.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Another one from my father's stash, one of the few non running projects he bought. Needed a second hand, a crystal, and a service. I need to find a strap that fits it better.

-Bomber Harris

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Those modded Seikos really turn me on.