SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Seiko 5 fans, a question. I started using mine six months ago, and although at first it was gaining a few seconds a day, it began losing time gradually, and now it's losing 8 seconds a day.

Yep; that's pretty normal. Once the break-in period is over the rate would settle down to a more-constant level. If it's losing 8 seconds per day, you could definitely adjust it to something closer to zero, although it's unlikely you'll get it perfect since ambient temperature changes will affect the rate on a Seiko 5 more than on higher-end watches. If you don't have a case wrench with which to take off the back, you might be able to get a friendly watchmaker to open it for you, and you can then do the adjusting yourself over the course of a few days, nudging the adjuster on the balance cock just a TINY bit each time until you get an acceptable rate. Or a watchmaker's fee for doing the adjustment may be within your budget. It just depends.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
...nudging the adjuster on the balance cock just a TINY bit each time until you get an acceptable rate...

Well, I guess I better find a watchmaker, then, since I don't see an adjuster or a balance cock through the clear case back. Of course, I have no idea what they would look like...

Seriously, though, I'm glad you both suggest it can be adjusted. A little fast is fine, I'd even be happy if it was gaining eight seconds a day, but not losing it.

Should I try and find a Seiko dealer so I don't screw up the warranty? It's good for another 2-1/2 years.

Other than the accuracy issue, it's a fine watch for my purposes, and I'm glad I read about it on this thread, and bought it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've been pretty happy with my Seiko Dolce (HAQ quartz), keeping within +/- 1 second/month. Also my Marathon WW194015SS (not HAQ), keeping +/- 2 seconds/month. The Marathon is for sale in the Classifieds, as I have come to love the Seiko.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:...I don't see an adjuster or a balance cock through the clear case back. Of course, I have no idea what they would look like...

You may need to tilt the watch so the rotor moves out of the way in order to see the balance.

The way moving the balance adjustment changes the rate is by making the active length of the balance spring shorter (faster) or longer (slower). Here's a short video on YouTube about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_QnDKciBU

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brian, it does look simple to do. Unfortunately, I don't have a case wrench, so I'll try and find somebody to do it for me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I may, you might look into an app for timing your watch (I use Watch Tracker) and test your Seiko's positional variance. There's a decent chance you can find a resting position that either the slows the loss or actually goes positive. If so you can regularly place it in that position when it's off your wrist (e.g. when sleeping) to balance it out.

Positional variance (for example, -10 dial down but +6 dial up, -3 9 up and -12 6 up) is the biggest +/- with any mechanical watch, and more so with less expensive movements. I'd try that first before breaking it open, because if your difference between positions is huge you are only addressing part of the problem.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always leave it on the nightstand overnight, face-up, so I'll try it face-down for a couple days and get back. Thanks for the suggestion, which reminds me of a Rolex ad from the early 1960's making the same observation.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:...Positional variance...is the biggest +/- with any mechanical watch, and more so with less expensive movements.

That's a very good point. At the shop we used various methods for correcting for positional variations. First, of course, was making sure the watch was as free as possible from excess tolerances: end-shake in the gears, out-of-poise balance wheels, non-concentric hairsprings, etc.

Then we'd check the timing in various positions. The timing machine I had on my bench had an automated pickup that would move to the different testing positions as needed, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwUXg4YNgrY

Then overnight I'd put all the day's watches on the Cyclomotion for the night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoeGnGszymc

It worked pretty well, but every now and then I'd get a customer coming back who always sat with his wrist in one position on his desk all day, or at the controls of her jet for eight hours, or whatever, and wasn't getting accurate rates; so I'd have them track their rate for several days, and then I'd make an ad hoc adjustment for their particular variation. It was fun. Uh huh. Sure.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Great links. Thanks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can contribute!
Seamaster Professional Chronograph.
I always eyed the Planet Ocean and Speedmaster "moon watch"

I understand the chrono of this watch is not as popular but I quite like it.
It was a present (a very generous one!) so no way in hell would I trade it for anything.

Besides, it's nice having a date feature and it feels like it can handle the world ending.

Forgive the smudges on it, my girlfriend's dog already tried to eat it off my wrist.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
I can contribute! Seamaster Professional Chronograph.

...it's nice having a date feature...

I really like that one; congratulations. The date is very understated and fits the "feel" of the dial very well.

posted Hide Post
I like the red hands against the blue background.

I've got a couple of chronographs with difficult to read dials due to low contrast. Not the case with that one.

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I'm not a watch guy, but this Rolex my biz partner just got makes me all warm and fuzzy.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Skydwellers are some serious hardware!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:

He's the "money partner" I see twice a week haha. I have no idea what the Rolex costs, his "beater" is a carbon fiber AP, im working on him setting me up with a payment plan on his submariner Big Grin

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076: ... I have no idea what the Rolex costs...

A new, gold Sky Dweller will sell for a little over US$30,000.

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076: ... I have no idea what the Rolex costs...

A new, gold Sky Dweller will sell for a little over US$30,000.

He drove a new Bentley betayaga in today. That doesn't really shock me. I couldn't imagine ever spending that on a watch (or anything other than a house or car)

├┼┼╕
246R

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:

He's the "money partner" I see twice a week haha. I have no idea what the Rolex costs, his "beater" is a carbon fiber AP, im working on him setting me up with a payment plan on his submariner Big Grin

Forged carbon is not the best material for a "beater". It definitely dents and dings. AP's only all forged carbon watch is still the Alinghi Team Chronograph. I owned one for a year and never had a problem, but if you are prone to hitting things, the material is not durable.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
quote:

He drove a new Bentley betayaga in today.

That thing is so ugly, even if I was a billionaire I'd save the money and get the fastest Cayenne on the market. I've seen 5-10 of them on the road so far, from every angle, and man it's an ugly thing.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:
quote:

He drove a new Bentley betayaga in today.

That thing is so ugly, even if I was a billionaire I'd save the money and get the fastest Cayenne on the market. I've seen 5-10 of them on the road so far, from every angle, and man it's an ugly thing.

I drove it a little, it is FAST. I agree, not the prettiest thing in the world.

├┼┼╕
246R