SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nice seiko divers.

About ready to pull the trigger on another timepiece and I’m really warm for a Seiko shogun in titanium. We’ll see what happens.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the face have a metallic sheen?

Yes, they have sunburst dials.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

RMD

Almost seems like a matte/metallic....if thats a thing.

Todays score was an Oris diver, pics to follow.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

RMD

Thanks. Now it is a greater temptation.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

RMD

Take a close look at the chapter ring. Note that the marks at each 5 minute interval are red. This little detail bugs me and is the reason why I wouldn't personally buy one. If they were all white, I'd be all over this one.

But, hey, to each his own!

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:
quote:
quote:
quote:

RMD

Take a close look at the chapter ring. Note that the marks at each 5 minute interval are red. This little detail bugs me and is the reason why I wouldn't personally buy one. If they were all white, I'd be all over this one.

Compliments the bezel Big Grin

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I liked that. I wish I had bought the Blue Lagoon turtle - I liked that color, too. But they are going for $800 now, and that is too much.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Probably my most prized watch:

My Dad bought this in 1978. Every picture I have of him or us, he's wearing this watch. He wore this watch every day as a police officer his entire career and then occasionally after that until last year when he gave it to me. The watch obviously shows this. The chapter ring is off by quite a bit, it loses about 10-15 minutes a day. The bezel and face show 30 years of duty use. I acquired a Seiko SKX007 not long after and the the 6309 was only brought out when I was feeling nostalgic.

My question is, rather than have it live in the watch box the rest of its life I was considering having it repaired and maybe cleaned up. Should I simply get it working mechanically or have the case refinished, bezel replaced and maybe domed sapphire.

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Should I simply get it working mechanically or have the case refinished, bezel replaced and maybe domed sapphire.

Get it working mechanically and do not touch the rest. It'll ruin the value of that watch, both financially (which may not matter to you) and, to me, sentimentally.

If you get it restored to as-new condition, it won't really be your dad's watch anymore. It won't have the unique "signature" of his years of use.

A good service and cleaning for the movement, a replacement crystal same material as the original (or a good polish of the current crystal), new seals, and gaskets, maybe a new crown stem but don't touch the rest. Or, at least that's what I would do. It's gorgeous watch and I wouldn't change a thing.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Should I simply get it working mechanically or have the case refinished, bezel replaced and maybe domed sapphire.

Get it working mechanically and do not touch the rest. It'll ruin the value of that watch, both financially (which may not matter to you) and, to me, sentimentally.

If you get it restored to as-new condition, it won't really be your dad's watch anymore. It won't have the unique "signature" of his years of use.

A good service and cleaning for the movement, a replacement crystal same material as the original (or a good polish of the current crystal), new seals, and gaskets, maybe a new crown stem but don't touch the rest. Or, at least that's what I would do. It's gorgeous watch and I wouldn't change a thing.

That was my initial thought as well. Thanks for confirming.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That's honest wear that tells a story. Get the watch serviced and cleaned up internally, replace the crystal and gaskets for functional reasons, and wear it with honor.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This. That watch is history personified. It deserves the love and attention you will give it and you deserve the memories it will give you.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warpig. That watch is amazing, Great story. As suggested, Get it running and that’s it. Hopefully my son and daughter will have similar feelings toward my automatic watches one day when they are old enough to appreciate it.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That was my initial thought as well. Thanks for confirming.

Totally agree. And with a Seiko, I would often use just about anyone for a service, but for a spacial Seiko, I'd definitely contact Seiko directly, I think for this, even straight to Joe at the Miami boutique and give him the story and ask for them to take great care of it. He would do you right, and I think he'd love the story. He's done very well by me and truly loves the watches.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I dislike Seiko sword hands, but adore the quality and function of a great Seiko diver. In my mind, it was the Marine Master like yours, or this 62MAS throwback/tribute. The MM is what? 44mm. This is 39mm.

Rogue, have you done any monitoring of the accuracy of the 62MAS? The movement is one Seiko uses in Grand Seikos after a little tweaking. I am curious about how accurate it is.

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rogue, have you done any monitoring of the accuracy of the 62MAS? The movement is one Seiko uses in Grand Seikos after a little tweaking. I am curious about how accurate it is.

You didn't ask me but my MM300 has the same 8L35.

Mine averages between +2-+5 seconds per day when worn. It's not super consistent but the change is always somewhere in that range.

I suppose that's the penalty for the unregulated movement, a bit of inconsistency.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mine averages between +2-+5 seconds per day when worn. It's not super consistent but the change is always somewhere in that range.

I suppose that's the penalty for the unregulated movement, a bit of inconsistency.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know they had the same movement.

I have a Grand Seiko that is the most accurate watch I have by a long shot, but it has the 9F quartz movement. It is rated for 10 seconds a year, but mine is better than that, I think. It can be hard to measure accuracy that good, but when I reset the hour at the time at the end of summer, it is typically only two or three seconds off.

I am fascinated by super-high accuracy. +2/-5 is very impressive.

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have a Grand Seiko that is the most accurate watch I have by a long shot, but it has the 9F quartz movement. It is rated for 10 seconds a year, but mine is better than that, I think. It can be hard to measure accuracy that good, but when I reset the hour at the time at the end of summer, it is typically only two or three seconds off.

Yup. It's an undecorated and unregulated version of the 9S55.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My Japanese market Seiko Dolce (haq) has maintained within one second for 10 months now.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which 9F do you have? I almost bought a SBGV009 once. But I decided I liked the 011 more (black dial). And I never found one pre-owned. Found one at a boutique, but couldn't bring myself to pay retail and tax. I have oodles of respect for the 9F.

I'll have to check the accuracy of the 62MAS²

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post