SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

They sure did. I wouldn't mind replacing my 1st Gen. Orange Monster with a 3rd Gen., with its upgraded 6R15 movement and date cyclops, but not for $500 - $600 (if you can even find one).

I'm not sure that the 6R15 is enough better that it warrants the extra money. I understand the 6R15 ought to be capable of a little more precision and it has a longer power reserve, but it is still quite a similar, basic Seiko workhorse watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Vostok Amphibia 'Scuba Dude' in the 090 tonneau '1967' case. Switched to a bigger crown, replaced the standard back with the scuba dude caseback, replaced the bezel with the 'rebel' bezel from OneSecondCloser, and added a steel Doxa sub-style bezel insert. Such a fun watch.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to run to JCPenny to pickup something for my wife. I wandered by the watch counter and found this on clearance for $200. I couldn’t resist. I needed a solar powered quartz with radio sync anyway. It’s a bit larger than I would have preferred at 44.5mm diameter but it fits me pretty well. It’s an SG009 Seiko Coutura.

BTW I’ve picked up a couple nice finds at JCP on clearance for about $100 less than you can find it elsewhere. Plus they are an AD. If you have a store nearby it’s worth a stop by every now and then.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:...added a steel Doxa sub-style bezel insert. Such a fun watch.

What do the "Ft" markings indicate? Does it have a capillary depth gauge? (If so, can you post a closeup of that?)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by agony:...added a steel Doxa sub-style bezel insert. Such a fun watch.

What do the "Ft" markings indicate? Does it have a capillary depth gauge? (If so, can you post a closeup of that?)

No, you use a separate depth gauge. Once you hit your desired depth the inner ring tells you how much time you can spend at that depth before you have to decompress. I don't dive so I have no clue how it works. I had to look it up via google. Smile

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony: No, you use a separate depth gauge. Once you hit your desired depth the inner ring tells you how much time you can spend at that depth before you have to decompress.

Ah, okay. That makes perfect sense. It's a simplified NDL (no decompression limit) table in a circular form factor. It's a little less conservative than the PADI tables, but not excessively so. If you compare it to the PADI table here -- http://www.scubatoronto.com/images/rdp1.jpg -- the outer ring on the bezel would correlate to the top row of the table, and the inner ring of the bezel would be like the black boxes at the bottom of each depth column on the table.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Have you guys heard of the Colion Noir “#SteelWaiting” challenge? As in still waiting for this gun to come alive and shoot someone. Basically guys post pictures of their guns with watches with the steelwaiting hashtag on instagram. I think it’s a fun idea.

Dusty78, I agree it's a great idea. Since social media (except SF) is against my "religion", I'll put my submission here.

Over 100 years and zip. Zero. Nada. I even left a spare clip for the old guy.

Posts: 4018 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I picked up a Vostok Amphibia 'Scuba Dude' in the 090 tonneau '1967' case. Switched to a bigger crown, replaced the standard back with the scuba dude caseback, replaced the bezel with the 'rebel' bezel from OneSecondCloser, and added a steel Doxa sub-style bezel insert. Such a fun watch.

I have one of those bezel inserts in transit with some other stuff. Damn! Hong Kong must be a really long way from Alabama! Its taking forever.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm itching for something new and missing a lot of watches that have come and gone. Here was a great one. The Rolex Milgauss GV with a green crystal. Long gone now.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I'm itching for something new and missing a lot of watches that have come and gone. Here was a great one. The Rolex Milgauss GV with a green crystal. Long gone now.

The Milgauss with the green crystal is a lovely watch. One of the docs at my office has one and I've eyeballed it with envy.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Hi, Rogue.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Have you guys heard of the Colion Noir “#SteelWaiting” challenge? As in still waiting for this gun to come alive and shoot someone. Basically guys post pictures of their guns with watches with the steelwaiting hashtag on instagram. I think it’s a fun idea.

Dusty78, I agree it's a great idea. Since social media (except SF) is against my "religion", I'll put my submission here.

Over 100 years and zip. Zero. Nada. I even left a spare clip for the old guy.

That should be on a T-shirt

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

That's very striking...I've never seen a watch with a colored cystal before, certainly not one so finely and subtly done. Really attractive.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
For those with a Ball itch................Trainmaster Streamliner on MassDrop for $699........I may not resist much longer

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/b...iner-automatic-watch

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's an ETA 2824-2.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
It's an ETA 2824-2.

Not savy.... What is the significance?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It's a solid Swiss workhorse movement.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Some days, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. Lost a click spring for a vintage movement I'm working on. Shit!

Started a Seiko mod that promises to be spectacular and munged up the crystal gasket. I'm going to bed before I screw up anything else.

RMD

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Some days, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. Lost a click spring for a vintage movement I'm working on.

I know how you feel. On my certification exam I lost points because I lost control of a click spring, and after searching on hands and knees for 15 minutes I gave in and had to get a replacement. I ended up third in my class, and if it hadn't been for that I would have been 2nd. (The first-place finisher went on to be lead watchmaker at Panerai/Richemont in Dallas for awhile, and is now at Rolex there.)

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
^

I detest this spring! I knew it would give me trouble. It did on a prior rebuild.

Congrats on making it through.

RMD