SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Snake 207, those Omega autos are nice. I think Omega service will work on them, and they do a good job, but they are pricey. Any good watchmaker should be able to service them, they aren't rocket surgery to work on.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK,
I picked this up for $140 +$5 shipping.
I have to say I'm actually impressed.
It has the Chinese Venus 175 with a 24hr register at 6.
It's hand wound like my Speedy. This must be the improved model as the screw down crown is easy to unscrew and return.
The chronograph buttons are not too hard or snappy to use. It starts and stops smoothly and the seconds recorder sweeps very smooth.
The return is very smooth and not a hard reset.
I'd swear this was a Swiss movement.
It's 40mm case is absolutely perfect for me.

The original bracelet is utter garbage. So it's got one Marzy gave me on it off his Ball I think.
I have a black rally leather strap( ugh I can't believe I'm not gonna wear a bracelet) on it's way.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
I used to wear this every day for a few years, but it's in BAD need of servicing and I'm not 100% where I want to send it to.
My Grandfather's retirement watch.

I'd only trust a watch of that sentimental value to RGM or Omega, although I'm sure there are many others as good or better. But I have confidence and knowlege only of those two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am really liking this Phoibos Wavemaster and Sharkey Marinemaster 300 homage. The Phoibos has a NH35A movement and overall the fit and finish is way better than I expected for the price. The micro brand from Hong Kong is actually kinda neat. I love the octopus / crowned Cthulhu looking thing they have for their logo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, R0gue!

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Man I am LOVING my Wavemaster! Smooth NH35A movement and great looks for only $259 shipped. I really like the bracelet, it’s hefty but feels and looks wonderful. I have a new summer time everyday watch. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Just got this back from service. Locked solid, needed a mainspring & barrel arbor. Now ticking away...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Just got this back from service. Locked solid, needed a mainspring & barrel arbor. Now ticking away...
I love it! I've always been a fan of Elgins.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
I love it! I've always been a fan of Elgins.

Thanks, here's another. $30 ebay find, polished small scratches out of crystal, runs strong.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I bought leather.
Here's my Alpha on a rally strap.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Seiko’s new solar digital tuna is pretty cool. I love the blacked out screen and super light weight. It has something unique on a digital watch a functional rotating bezel and a minute tracker around the edge of the screen. Very cool touch for people like me who LOVE spinning bezels.

The tap to light up function is also pretty cool. You can adjust the sensitivity easily enough.

It has some shortcomings for sure but overall I am happy with the watch and would buy one again. The more I think about it’s competitors and price point the more I understand the use of plastic in its design, it is a watch I am quite interested to see go up against my mighty G-Shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post

For the Elgin fans: One that came in yesterday. Bad re-dial job, but i have a friend who can fix that. 484 movement is happily ticking away after so many years.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Seiko’s new solar digital tuna is pretty cool. I love the blacked out screen and super light weight. It has something unique on a digital watch a functional rotating bezel and a minute tracker around the edge of the screen. Very cool touch for people like me who LOVE spinning bezels.

The tap to light up function is also pretty cool. You can adjust the sensitivity easily enough.

It has some shortcomings for sure but overall I am happy with the watch and would buy one again. The more I think about it’s competitors and price point the more I understand the use of plastic in its design, it is a watch I am quite interested to see go up against my mighty G-Shock.

I have been tempted by one of those. How legible is the negative display? Some G-shock negative displays are not contrasty enough.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I have zero complaints on the display. It is very legible at the pool. It suffers a bit in low light but a quick tap or two and the entire display lights right up for two seconds. ^^^ just like pictured above.

This one is a SBEP003, which has a blue/red bezel insert and blacked out case. On Seiko blue silicone straps it’s gorgeous. I like it more than my trusty G-shock and Seiko PADI Turtle. (I added the blue staps, black silicone straps are standard and they are surprisingly comfy too).

Pros:
-great feel and fit
-accurate
-easy and intuitive interface
-neat power reserve/ solar power recharge real-time function
-super light weight
-rotating bezel that is actually functional (look at the outer ring of the lcd)
-inexpensive
-hard to move bezel (stays where it’s set)

Cons:
-liberal use of plastic/composite in build/design
-bezel is plastic and doesn’t click
-yeah, the bezel didn’t click
-serious concerns about longevity of LCD
-watch may be designed to only last 7+ years

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
This just came FedEx from David Truong. 1946 Rolex ref 6426. Dial was refinished badly. He worked magic.

Before refinishing:

-Bomber Harris

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kz1000:
This just came FedEx from David Truong. 1946 Rolex ref 6426. Dial was refinished badly. He worked magic.
\

David is true master ! I would never use anyone else!

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. He really did work magic.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Love the simplicity/minimalism of that Rolex. Very nice.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Before refinishing:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the riveted bracelet!
Take it off that NATO!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:

Before refinishing:

Beautiful!!

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post