SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Seiko makes the most beautiful dials

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Just back from service running like a Swiss watch (Duh!).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's so uncommon for a photo of this to pop the heat-blued hands that I thought I'd share it.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
One shy of a baker's dozen to chose from ... too much time

EDIT: Wearing the Tisell today

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Okay, just the 40mm Tisell Pilot

- 40mm is a good size for me. My wrist is small.
- The leather strap is short (made for Asian market) and is perfect for my small wrist.
- Thin case 9.5mm
- Super-Luminova BGW9.
- Hack second hand.
- Heat treated blue hands, not painted.
- Sapphire crystal.
- Diamond Crown (hammer crown available).
- Lot of watch for the money. $209 (shipping included).

Dislikes:
- Wish the hands were a tad wider.

Observations:
- Came with a second leather keeper that I slid off and removed from the strap. If the sewn in keeper were closer to the buckle and/or the strap longer, MAYBE the second keeper would be needed.
- The Miyota 90S5 is not timed as well out of the box as most ETA 2824 movements. So far, the Miyota seems accurate but as timed, is losing 6 to 8 seconds a day. I'm sure that can be improved with adjustment. Still quite acceptable for an automatic watch.

EDIT: And yes, I turned the strap backwards/upside down LOL. It's the way I prefer a strap.

http://www.tisellkr.com/produc...no=1&display_group=2

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking fleiger, Hobbs. Nearly any competent watch maker can regulate that Miyota a little better, maybe a lot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
It's so uncommon for a photo of this to pop the heat-blued hands that I thought I'd share it.

Nice photo. That occasional glint of fire blue is eye catching.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Two new turtles.

I’m going to be wearing this one often. The red minute hand is a neat touch.

And Nemo. Cool This thing has a BRIGHT dial. I love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been fixating on turtles lately. Where did you score the nemo?

Posts: 236 | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
eBay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Two new turtles.

Stickman as a little kid: Linky! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love turtles! The 4R36 movement is super sweet! I set my black faced turtle (I assure you it is not a racist watch) yesterday and it is keeping perfect time down to the second today. Still in synch with my cheap but shockingly accurate quartz Flieger style watch.

I typically see a slight variation from my Seiko and seiko movement watches. My 7S26 movements typically run a little fast and my two NH35 movements run slightly slow when set down for 8-10 hours then catch back up as they get shaken/wound up. So far the turtle and it’s 4R36 has impressed the heck out of me.

These Seiko automatics are addictive.

I have a 1983 6309 and an all original 7002 with a neat looking patina and lots of character heading my way. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Man you’re hooking up! It’s funny how I love all watches and am fascinated by lots of hands and bells and whistles, but I find myself drawn to simple watches. And Seiko has done a nice job on some of their new interpretations of early watches. Wish I didn’t have so many hobbies that have to share my money!

Posts: 236 | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like the metallic orange on the Nemo.

I saw one of the Mini-Tunas the other day in metallic yellow gold with a dark blue bezel. It is an south Asian release, and very handsome. There are a few on Ebay for $600 or so.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks JHE888. I am really loving the Asian limited release Seiko watches. The yellow butterflyfish ( SRPD15K1 ) is VERY tempting.

I’m a sucker for dark blue dials. There is a rare Asian market diver that I’m finding good deals on in Australia that I’m probably going to buy next.

I’d love to buy a green reflective dial limited edition turtle but they are expensive as hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
I didn’t need to see this. I like Hamilton’s. Fortunately it’s a bit more than I’d like to spend. It’s a Hamilton Intra-matic automatic chrono.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Got the other old Waltham running. Strung it apart, cleaned it up, a good oiling, adjusted the balance and good to go!

That late '50s goodness!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve always purchased moderately priced watches, and only have one watch that I wear everyday. My current watch is a Luminox Series 1820. I’ve been happy with it, but just recently the luminescence in the minute hand faded out and I can no longer look over on my night stand at night to see the time. We don’t have an alarm clock in the bedroom any longer; my wife uses her phone for an alarm. I’ve also had watches from Wenger—a nice titanium cased watch, and Seiko.

Now I’m looking to step up to a nicer watch. I still can’t justify (to myself) spending over $2k on a watch, but there are some nice watches in the $1k - $2k range, as well as some just under $1,000 that look pretty nice too, like some of the flieger-type watches. Lots of expertise here and I’m looking for help.

I’ve looked at the certified watches from Crown and Caliber, as per recommendations here. Even used, many premium watches are out of my self-imposed price limit, i.e. Rolex and Omega. There are certified Tags that are in my price range and the Carrera model in particular is attractive to me (we own a 911). Seems like I’ve read that the watch aficionados here don’t care much for Tag Heuers though—is that right?

Criteria: sport-type, luminous dial. I have a small wrist, so it can’t be great big either. I saw the size chart, but haven’t yet printed it to determine exactly what size range to look at. The Luminox I spoke of is about as big as I can wear, and I believe it’s a 42 mm.

Any other used/certified watch sellers I should look at? Appreciate the advice.
T

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
check out a sinn 556
https://wornandwound.com/review/sinn-556i-review/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nasig,

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
TMats,

If you want a higher end watch with the same type of lume that the Luminox watches use/have, check out Ball watches.

I believe that our own davetruong is an authorized Ball dealer.

Good luck with your search.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post