SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness. I am shocked at the glee this watch is bringing me. I think in part it's the long period of desire. I've wanted a B-Uhr since the days when they only came in larger, larger and largest. It's easily been a decade singe I pined for a Glashutte Original Navigator.

This is so so much better for me. At 39mm, it wears like a 41 or 42. Beats a 42mm that wears like a 48.

I suppose I must now forgive jhe888. Smile

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Oh my.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking watch. Now I know what I'm asking Santa to bring me...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll try to get a shot in the daylight today. The edges of the hands are a wonderful fire blue (think pre-war Colt). But I have to hold it too close to artificial light to get it to show up on camera, and unfortunately that brings a lot of glare.

Thankfully, Pennsylvania is pretty reliable for diffuse lighting via our protective layer of clouds from around October through May. So....

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am glad to be partially responsible for your happiness.

It does look good. Very Bauhaus and German. All function, and great form.

How big are your wrists? (I'm still wrangling with which size.) How is the strap - enough to go around a 8.25" wrist, or should I get the longer strap? Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My wrists are 6.5". I think if I were you, I'd go with the Laco Dortmund which is my watch but in 45mm. The 42mm version of mine was almost another cm tip to tip, so the Dortmund will extend on that to maybe 5/8" taller?. In that case, I might chance the standard strap.

I will say they were pretty responsive to a post on WUS in the Laco forum. In a day I had a factory person advising me. If you tell them what you're after, I think they'll get you there. The quality is superb. Could be priced at twice this and they'd still sell.

You definitely should go with at least the 42mm Leipzig if not the Dortmund 45mm. I'm jealous. I'd like a bigger one to be truer to the original. Plus, the bugger ones have wider straps so the rivets fit within the contrast stitch -- unlike mine.

Hell, you should get the 55mm reproduction! Smile

posted Hide Post
Is it wrong g that smart watches have ruined traditional nice watches for me? My watch collection isn't nearly as nice as many have on this forum, but now I only wear my Galaxy watch as opposed to any other. Anyone else have the same opinion?

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
Anyone else have the same opinion?

I wear my Garmin Forerunner 645 Music more than any other watch. Though the B-Uhr seems poised to push it only into use when I run. No more wearing it to work.

Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
1973 Seamaster Chronograph, reference ST 176.001 Cal 1040 Big Grin

Posts: 723 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That is AWESOME!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
That is AWESOME!

Thanks, it was my dads. He bought it in BCN when we went to visit the family there for the first time in '73.

Posts: 723 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
WWII Soviet Air Force pilot watch. Paper dial.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Oh man! Good stuff coming out on SF! That Omega is quite uncommon! Love it. And the Soviet watch condition is superb for the age --- particularly the dial!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The vintage Seamaster got an new old stock Omega BOR bracelet.

All I have left to do is drop it off and have the crystal replaced.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The vintage Seamaster got an new old stock Omega BOR bracelet.

All I have left to do is drop it off and have the crystal replaced.

I want one of those!

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
1917 Tavannes Submarine watch.

The story behind it.

-Bomber Harris

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Total impulse buy, but so happy with it!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Splendid Omega!

That submarine is awesome!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Elgin Trench style?

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
AN-5740 Master Navigation Chronometer. Used by B-17 & B-24 Navigators WWII. Also used by the Navy attached to a sextant. (GCT stands for Greenwich Civil Time):

-Bomber Harris