SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
#2 Everyday Wear Watch...
My Dad's Submariner.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice Sub.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A build I finished yesterday. A group called "Crystal Times" made up a limited number of 3 o'clock crown cases for Seiko movements and I was lucky enough to get one. Pulled an NH35 from an older build, clipped and filed the dial feet off an old SKX dial and stuck it on with dial dots. Eventually, I will find another dial and hand set for it, but for now it will do. Flat sapphire crystal from the Ebay. Of course, the chapter ring is mis-aligned.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've finally taken pics of my Dad's watch that was given to him by my Mother, I believe as a birthday gift. I'd like to get a fine quality leather strap for it. Any suggestions?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I've finally taken pics of my Dad's watch that was given to him by my Mother, I believe as a birthday gift. I'd like to get a fine quality leather strap for it. Any suggestions?

Amazon. Cheap to really expensive.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Go custom. https://www.gregstevensdesign.com/

I show off one of his straps on page 191.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to get a fine quality leather strap for it. Any suggestions?

SF's own sureshot45.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Measure the lug width! I know all kinds of great sources and have a nack for finding straps that work well with a particular vintage watch. I'll try to help.

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. It's small. I measure 15mm.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Any chance it is actually 16mm? That would be a pretty common size. Sometimes the way the lug edges are, these things can be hard to measure.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
r0gue, you're right, it is 16mm. I was measuring the width of the existing strap. Thank you!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Perhaps something like this? Bought this while back for my Grandpa's watch. Ended up going a different direction.

Gorgeous genuine Teju lizard. 16mm. You'd need to source a 14mm buckle that roughly matches the patina of your watch. I would think that would be under $5 on the Bay.

This is yours for free if you want it. Just email me your address!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rduckwor, that’s a neat looking Seiko! How hard is it to realign the chapter ring? (I have two I’d like to get realigned)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
My Pops gave me his submariner just like that with our family crest engraved on the back. He actually has it now because I didn’t wear it much. One day, I’ll wear it everyday.

quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
#2 Everyday Wear Watch...
My Dad's Submariner.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Perhaps something like this? Bought this while back for my Grandpa's watch. Ended up going a different direction.

Gorgeous genuine Teju lizard. 16mm. You'd need to source a 14mm buckle that roughly matches the patina of your watch. I would think that would be under $5 on the Bay.

r0gue, that's a very generous offer and I'd love it. Thank you! I'll start researching buckles and see what I can find. That's a classy strap for sure!

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
rduckwor, that’s a neat looking Seiko! How hard is it to realign the chapter ring? (I have two I’d like to get realigned)

Technically, not difficult, but you have to pop out the crystal. The real problem is aligning it and keeping it aligned. Hypo Cement is probably the best way to do it. Its a semi-solid cement that will allow for some adjustment early on before it fully sets. Be aware that you will need a press to reset your crystal and maybe a new crystal gasket as well. Good Luck.

RMD

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I used to wear this every day for a few years, but it's in BAD need of servicing and I'm not 100% where I want to send it to.
My Grandfather's retirement watch.

And in a weird twist of irony...

My Grandfather's "hobby" was watches and clocks. He would buy them (plus bands, parts, etc.) in bulk from Thrift Stores, garage sales, and whatnot and fix them up. I mean, by the box full. Old Automatics, manual winds, etc. One of them he came upon was this...and it actually runs REALLY well - all things considered.
The irony is that The University of Alabama won the National Championship that year, so an Auburn Alum has an Alabama watch. (And yes, I want to sell it LOL) Big Grin

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to wear this every day for a few years, but it's in BAD need of servicing and I'm not 100% where I want to send it to. My Grandfather's retirement watch.

I use this guy. He does great work & his prices are reasonable. I wouldn't send it to Omega. If they are like Rolex, they may replace valuable original parts (dial, hands etc) with service replacement parts & not return the yours (they do it to prevent fakes being built up from parts). I'm sure those dials are rare.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^^
Thank you SO much.
Yes, I wasn't real keen on sending it to Omega in the first place.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

r0gue, that's a very generous offer and I'd love it. Thank you! I'll start researching buckles and see what I can find. That's a classy strap for sure!

I have an old Hamilton tank watch that I have on a lizard strap, and it is a good combination. My watch isn't as old as yours, but they have a similar vibe.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post