SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:... yet.
Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Need some help from the watch experts: Looking to pick up a nice, new watch for $350 - $500, and at present I've narrowed it down to either a Seiko or a Tissot -- specifically, these two models:

Seiko MECHANICAL SARB033 Mens Wrist Watch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A...oliid=I181OAX285ELUU

Tissot Men's T0604071105100 T-Tempo Analog Display Swiss Automatic Silver Watch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051...coliid=IFUGEO8BAQNDY

Or maybe a Hamilton:
Hamilton Men's H32515135 Jazzmaster Viewmatic Black Guilloche Dial Watch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026...coliid=I9RYH6Y9UGZB6

I have a Seiko Orange Monster which I love (though am looking for something a bit more classic this time around), and the above Japan-domestic Seiko is supposed to be the closest thing to a Grand Seiko w/out the GS price. The latter two...nice-looking, and I am kind of taken by the idea of a Swiss watch, rightly or not.

Here is the public Wish List at Amazon of the watches I've saved for consideration:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/regis...universal-price-desc

Any thoughts on the three above watches or any or the others in my list -- specific to the watch(es) or Japanese vs. Swiss movements or general about the differences in brands or whatever -- are much appreciated.

Feel free to suggest any watch I may not have seen or considered...I think from my list you get a pretty good sense of the look I'm after (after some consideration, probably not chronograph). $500 is a hard limit, and I'd like to keep it closer to $400.

And, yes, I would have loved to use Dave Truong, but this will be purchased through Amazon as I have about half the $$ in gift-card credit.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
Or maybe a Hamilton

Here's another Hamilton Khaki idea.
It's got half the WR rating as the Khaki on your list -- but it's significantly less expensive as well -- and similar in case size.

I have this watch. I love its look with the black face and brown leather strap, despite missing my Seiko titanium so badly (I broke the band). I do have to adjust the Hamilton periodically, as it's not as accurate as a quartz. (I know now why my granddad was so frustrated with automatics.) The anti-reflective sapphire crystal is a plus for me. I like a number of the Citizen models, but the crystals are often flat, making sure I get an eyeful of glare from time to time. The curved crystal on this Hamilton avoids that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need some help from the watch experts: Looking to pick up a nice, new watch for $350 - $500....

Here are my votes:

SARB033

SARB017

The SARB017 has much better fit and finish than the SARB033, but it's a bit pricier and does not have an exhibition back. Also, the 017 comes with a horrible strap so you'll most likely opt for the Seiko bracelet at ~$120 or a different real leather strap.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mentioned the SARB017...I had looked at it previously and really do like it, to the extent that it would likely be tied w/ the 033 for my current top pick of the list, but I do prefer a stainless band so discounted it. I guess I could substitute the band...the two together would still probably fit in my $500 budget. I'll have to think about that.

vthoky, thanksk, it is a good-looking watch, but just not a fan of the large day of the week at the top.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny you should mentioned the SARB017...I had looked at it previously and really do like it, to the extent that it would likely be tied w/ the 033 for my current top pick of the list, but I do prefer a stainless band so discounted it. I guess I could substitute the band...the two together would still probably fit in my $500 budget. I'll have to think about that.

vthoky, thanksk, it is a good-looking watch, but just not a fan of the large day of the week at the top.

Check out Massdrop.com. The SARB's are a favorite of the group buying community so they come up often. I got my 017 and two 033's (I bought one for my dad) through them and had no issues. I think I got my 033 for under $290 and 017 for a hair over $320.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
vthoky, thanks, it is a good-looking watch, but just not a fan of the large day of the week at the top.

Maybe this one then? Gets you back to the 100m water resistance, too.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I picked up a nice Swiss Made Epos for close to the $500 mark from Watchseller.com.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

That's my Grail watch. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing (and making me jealous as hell Smile )

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a new Citizen eco drive stainless case $140 watch about 5 years ago from a watch store in the mall. The Citizen catalog back then referred to it as a dive watch. Since that time I bought a $400 Citizen eco drive which receives the radio signal every day. The $140 watch came with a very stiff cheap looking black nylon strap and is a stainless case. It has 3 hands and a smallish date window. I synchronized the two watches to the second. I didn't compare the two for three months and when I did they were two seconds off. I synchronized them three weeks ago and when compared them again there was one second difference. I did a long search to see if I could locate a new one which is identified as a GN-4W-S, WR with module E 111. Apparently Citizen does not make or sell this model anymore but I did find several used watches on one site that sells used watches. They were priced at $665 (leather strap) and $900 (Titanium Bracelet) and were Titanium cases. They referred to them as special editions and they were identical to the $140 watch except for the titanium case. Isn't one second a month very accurate for a $140 Quartz module. Maybe it was discontinued because it was too good for the price point. Any comment?

Posts: 705 | Registered: April 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Is there something wrong with the watch that you want to replace it?

Can you post a photo of its appearance so we can suggest an alternative?

To be honest, the accuracy you write about is not astounding for a quartz watch.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Running at approximately +1 second per month is perfectly acceptable for a quartz movement. You'd likely have to spend far more to get a watch that runs any better.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I picked up a nice Swiss Made Epos for close to the $500 mark from Watchseller.com.

Pictures, or it didn't happen. (This is The Gallery, after all!)

Wink

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hiend
posted Hide Post
Working hours in NYC, Panerai Pam 321,GMT, PR72h

SIG|BERETTA|HK|SA TRP|DAN WESSON|

Posts: 42 | Location: NYC, State of Empire | Registered: May 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hiend
posted Hide Post
HK P30 V1 9mm + Pam 273, 10Day GMT

SIG|BERETTA|HK|SA TRP|DAN WESSON|

Posts: 42 | Location: NYC, State of Empire | Registered: May 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caption This
Picture of Buzzzerker
posted Hide Post

My Vizio with a Qing dynasty sword and scabbard.

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: June 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need some help from the watch experts: Looking to pick up a nice, new watch for $350 - $500, and at present I've narrowed it down to either a Seiko or a Tissot -- specifically, these two models:

Seiko MECHANICAL SARB033 Mens Wrist Watch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A...oliid=I181OAX285ELUU

Tissot Men's T0604071105100 T-Tempo Analog Display Swiss Automatic Silver Watch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051...coliid=IFUGEO8BAQNDY

Or maybe a Hamilton:
Hamilton Men's H32515135 Jazzmaster Viewmatic Black Guilloche Dial Watch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026...coliid=I9RYH6Y9UGZB6

I have a Seiko Orange Monster which I love (though am looking for something a bit more classic this time around), and the above Japan-domestic Seiko is supposed to be the closest thing to a Grand Seiko w/out the GS price. The latter two...nice-looking, and I am kind of taken by the idea of a Swiss watch, rightly or not.

Here is the public Wish List at Amazon of the watches I've saved for consideration:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/regis...universal-price-desc

Any thoughts on the three above watches or any or the others in my list -- specific to the watch(es) or Japanese vs. Swiss movements or general about the differences in brands or whatever -- are much appreciated.

Feel free to suggest any watch I may not have seen or considered...I think from my list you get a pretty good sense of the look I'm after (after some consideration, probably not chronograph). $500 is a hard limit, and I'd like to keep it closer to $400.

And, yes, I would have loved to use Dave Truong, but this will be purchased through Amazon as I have about half the $$ in gift-card credit.

I think the Seiko SARB is the most watch in that price range. Those have really nice movements. I really like the classic oyster watch as interpreted by Seiko. They do a good job.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Running at approximately +1 second per month is perfectly acceptable for a quartz movement. You'd likely have to spend far more to get a watch that runs any better.

One second a month is more than acceptable for a quartz, and is damn good.

A run of the mill quartz can be expected to be accurate to about ten seconds a month. Fifteen seconds isn't out of what you would expect for a cheap quartz watch.

Seiko makes a high accuracy quartz movement that is spec-ed at 10 seconds a year. I have one of those, and mine is better than advertised at about four or five seconds a year. (It is hard to be more precise than that - 5 seconds a year isn't much.) Citizen also makes a 5 second a year quartz movement. That is top-notch accuracy, though.

The main enemy of quartz accuracy is thermal variation. The quartz crystal's vibration is affected by temperature. A purer crystal will vary with temperature in more predictable ways, but you still have to compensate for that temperature variation in some way. Different makers do it differently, and they are secretive about their techniques.

One second a month is quite good for a quartz watch. Under that is getting into excellent territory.

By contrast, the best mechanical watches can't be expected to do much better than 4 seconds a month, and that is the best of them. A "normal" mechanical could be off by 15 or 20 seconds a month, and that isn't bad at all.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawrad:
I bought my wife a new Citizen eco drive stainless case $140 watch about 5 years ago from a watch store in the mall. The Citizen catalog back then referred to it as a dive watch. Since that time I bought a $400 Citizen eco drive which receives the radio signal every day. Apparently Citizen does not make or sell this model anymore but I did find several used watches on one site that sells used watches. They were priced at $665 (leather strap) and $900 (Titanium Bracelet) and were Titanium cases. They referred to them as special editions and they were identical to the $140 watch except for the titanium case. Isn't one second a month very accurate for a $140 Quartz module. Maybe it was discontinued because it was too good for the price point. Any comment?

When you mentioned the Eco Drive dive watch priced around $400, was it this one? I purchased this one for a little over the $400 point and used it mainly for diving. It just sits these days gathering dust. It is a good watch nonetheless..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
That's my Grail watch. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing (and making me jealous as hell Smile )

Thanks Brad. I could give you a heads up if I decide to sell it in the near future if you'd like. Most likely I'll be selling both of the Rolexes for something that I'll wear instead of them just sitting in a drawer.

Regards, Will G.