SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
My mistake. I wasn't clear there. The SNZG15J1 I keep drooling over is a 42mm.

I'm not sure the non-hacking bit is important to me, but I'm open to learning. Why is it a deal-breaker for you? And which Seiko 5 movements are hacking, if any?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's important to me because I get pretty anal about accuracy, and when I reset a watch I like to reset it to the exact second. I may be the only person in this thread who is so afflicted.

As to which movements can be hacked, it seems that all those with the crown at 4 o'clock are non-hacking, but most -- not all -- of those at 3 o'clock can be hacked. Watchsleuth.com deems it important enough to include this information in the description of all the Seiko 5's.

Your SNZG15J1 can be hacked.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, man, you've placed the last straw. I'm ordering this watch!

I'm picky about accuracy with certain operations at work (sync to USNO time weekly), but for everyday watch wear... I'm okay with a minute or two a week. This is, of course, the benefit my ancient Seiko has -- quartz movement! Smile

For kicks this afternoon, I dug out the old Seiko Kinetic I've had for roughly 23 years. Shook it a bit to get it started, and it took right off! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HOLD ON, I SCREWED UP!!!

THE SNZG15 CANNOT BE HACKED!!!
http://www.watchsleuth.com/sei...search/?MOD=SNZG15J1

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
HOLD ON, I SCREWED UP!!!

If it is like many Seikos I have owned (and I'm fairly sure it is) you can fake hack by applying back pressure to the crown. It'll hold until you are at the right time (or more appropriately, until the right time is with you) and then you release.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOLD ON, I SCREWED UP!!!

Thank you for raising the flag! I had gone ahead and clicked the Buy button... no worries.

quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
If it is like many Seikos I have owned (and I'm fairly sure it is) you can fake hack by applying back pressure to the crown. It'll hold until you are at the right time (or more appropriately, until the right time is with you) and then you release.

And thank you, r0gue! We'll find out about this in about 4-5 days. Cool

God bless America.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue: If it is like many Seikos I have owned (and I'm fairly sure it is) you can fake hack by applying back pressure to the crown. It'll hold until you are at the right time (or more appropriately, until the right time is with you) and then you release.

I can "fake hack" mine if it doesn't have much of a wind on, but if I've been fairly active during the day, the next morning there is so much power from the mainspring that it'll push right through any back-winding. Of course that's not all that critical to me; if I need more than 59-second accuracy I'm not going to be depending on my Seiko 5 anyway. I have several quartz watches for that, and they're synchronized to a pocket-sized GPS receiver that is way more accurate & precise than any wristwatch.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

Thank you for raising the flag! I had gone ahead and clicked the Buy button... no worries.

I know you said you weren't sure hacking was important, but I still feel bad about it, and apologize. I was comparing hacking and non-hacking watches for you and goofed up, in part because yours is one of those with the crown at 3 o'clock.

I've used rOgue's "fake hacking" technique myself, not with Seiko watches but with others I owned before them, and it works.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
You said the date function is not important, but I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to see the date on that Marathon, if your doddering age is anywhere near mine.

First, thanks to all that replied with suggestions. They are appreciated, at least to see what is out there. newtoSig765, vision is not an issue for me, though the date position (and size) on that Marathon will probably never be looked at that much. More importantly, for me, since this will be a watch for everyday use/abuse, are stainless case, sapphire crystal, quartz movement, and plain Arabic numerals. I did look at everything suggested and after finding a good discounted price, went ahead and ordered the Marathon WW194015SS. I just like its simple looks, and hopefully it will prove to be sturdy as well. It has been many, many years since I have worn a wrist watch.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I still feel bad about it, and apologize.

No worries, sir. Provided it's not "yuuge" on my wrist, it'll be just fine.
And r0gue has given us something to learn from. Bonus! Smile

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Thanks! Cool

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Another piece of trivia, there are many very VERY good (expensive, fine) watches that do not have a hack. The finest watch I ever owned (for a short period of time until I came to my senses) was an F.P. Journe. It did not hack. It was a work of art more than a timepiece. If I'm honest, it did bother me that a watch with the word Chronometre in it's name shouldn't have a hack. Ahhh well, water under the bridge.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue: The finest watch I ever owned (for a short period of time until I came to my senses) was an F.P. Journe.

Do I see two barrels?

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...It was a work of art more than a timepiece...

I suspect that everybody in this thread considers their watches the same way. I, for one, know that I can get a much more accurate quartz watch for a lot less money than even the lower-end Seiko 5's I've been looking at lately. I won't let a thing like that stop me, though! Big Grin

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
Do I see two barrels?

Yep! and the going train concealed by the mainplate with a floating escapement. But... no hack. haha

compromises. Honestly, it did bother me. And this watch also taught me that I prefer a central seconds, rather than a small seconds. And I prefer a tapered strap to a straight. In many ways, I didn't like this amazing magnificent watch.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...It was a work of art more than a timepiece...

I suspect that everybody in this thread considers their watches the same way.

Absolutely true. I guess there's a reason this thread is in the gallery! haha!

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
It's MINE!
A 1998 Seiko 7T92 Aviators chrono!
$43 - ebay.
It has a little character but that's just fine with me.
I will wear this one every day.
The photos do not do the blue dial justice!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Nice, indeed!
I do like a blue dial on some watches.

God bless America.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I like it! and I love chronos!