SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
...Thanks for the info and link, I'll give it a try.

The problem with a daily-wear watch is that you're likely to keep enough of a wind on it that it'll power through attempts to back-wind it. If it were me, I'd just accept a 30-second or less difference from "official time."

Agreed if it were a daily wear watch but he stated
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
These are ones I wear when I’m kickin’ around and don’t want to risk my nicer watches.
so I'm confident what I've provided will be of help to him.

You're both right... I'm really not concerned if I'm within +/-30 sec of real time, but it would be nice to know that I could set it close if I wanted. I do keep all my autos on watch winders, so they're generally powered up. I'm letting this one sit on my desk for a couple of days and then I'll give bald1's suggestion a try. I did try it last night and, as you said BrianO, it just powered through my attempts. I'll keep you posted.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice work on the Willard.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
When shopping for a metal bracelet, how does one determine if straight or curved ends are needed?

I am specifically wanting a bracelet for the Citizen Promaster Nighthawk BX1010-11L. I have spent several calls and emails with Citizen to learn that they (Citizen) are unable to suggest anything that is not OEM to the watch (leather strap only). The lugs are 22mm.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
When shopping for a metal bracelet, how does one determine if straight or curved ends are needed?

I am specifically wanting a bracelet for the Citizen Promaster Nighthawk BX1010-11L. I have spent several calls and emails with Citizen to learn that they (Citizen) are unable to suggest anything that is not OEM to the watch (leather strap only). The lugs are 22mm.

Thanks in advance.

Google search for bracelet for XXX. Alternatively, you can look on Amazon, Uncle Seiko, Strapcode, eBay, and Gecko.

Certain Nighthawks came on metal bracelets.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
straight ends are easier to fit assuming you have the right lug width. curved are more difficult, particularly the solid end ones. for the solid ends its best to go with OEM for good fit. the curved ends that are not solid can be 'fitted' a little by bending but with some watches you will not be able to achieve a good fit.

quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Certain Nighthawks came on metal bracelets.

The lug widths on all of those are different.

I am suprised Citizen is of zero help, I would think options would increase sales....

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by bald1:

Agreed if it were a daily wear watch but he stated
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
These are ones I wear when I’m kickin’ around and don’t want to risk my nicer watches.
so I'm confident what I've provided will be of help to him.[/QUOTE]

Just to close the loop... tried setting the watch again this morning and, as you figured, worked like a champ. Was actually able to stop the second hand completely by just nudging the minute hand backwards. Thanks again for the tip bald1.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Finally tracked down the source for the rare private label 1977 vintage piece sold by the then Edward Louis Kiek Jewelers of Amsterdam, NL (ELKA) that I picked up NOS back in 2001. Kiek passed in 2000 with no heirs so the store was shuttered. The remaining stock was liquidated including the piece I have. It's a based on the Lemania 9803 watch. Really like the ELKA and its 22J Lemania 1340 movement (yes, not the 17J 1341). Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a handsome piece, Bald1.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got another Citizen lefty automatic for under $100. I wish these watches had hacking but it’s still a neat watch. This one has a great looking dial from about a foot away or more. Big Grin I ordered it a loooooong time ago and had almost forgotten about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Not much action for me lately. Thought I'd post some macros of the 1946 all-original dial on my Breitling Premier. Interesting to see the print type and softness of it all. Something about the open "6"s on the outer and small registers makes me smile.

These are highly magnified. The watch is only 37mm wide. I think Breitling makes crowns that wide now! Smile

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is indeed gorgeous.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I met craigcpa this past Friday and picked up a neat Seiko PADI!

(Craig's pic.)

Thanks, Craig! Ol' Skinnywrists here has to take it tomorrow and get a couple of links taken out. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been pretty quiet on this group for a while but I haven't stopped buying watches... Wink

So, picked this up at the IWC boutique in Chicago this past summer. Bronze Spitfire chrono on Erika's Original MN strap with bronze hardware. It'll take a long time for the patina to build up
and even out since I don't wear it everyday.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
Been pretty quiet on this group for a while but I haven't stopped buying watches... Wink

So, picked this up at the IWC boutique in Chicago this past summer. Bronze Spitfire chrono on Erika's Original MN strap with bronze hardware. It'll take a long time for the patina to build up
and even out since I don't wear it everyday.

Very nice!

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice PADI vthoky. That one is solar correct?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Some great watches! Love the bronze! and Congrats on the PADI!

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Nice PADI vthoky. That one is solar correct?

Correct!
And thank you, r0gue.

Talk about disappointing: I went to three local shops today (my favorite, plus two more) at lunchtime to get the band sized for my old skinny wrists. My favorite was closed today, the owner and "watch guru" at the second was on his way out the door, and the watch man at the third had gone out on errands for the shop.

Tomorrow I will be wearing this watch!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A few white dials. White is a little uncommon. White without Romans?,.. nearly impossible.

KiCkin around Sunday with my Explorer II² and at work today with my GeoP!

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
After nearly 50 years, I decided my Seamaster needed a companion. In 1970 I bought my first nice watch, a Seamaster Electronic f300 Hz. It's been a great watch and has been ticken' (or hummin’) away all these years. Picked up a newer (circa 2007) Seamaster recently and have been enjoying it as well. Quite a difference in both size and weight. Not really comparable, other than having the same nametag. Plan on keeping them both in the wearing rotation, depending on the occasion.

Abraham Lincoln