SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is nice looking. I like moon phase indicators. It is a cool complication.

Thanks, I think it's cool as well, not anything I was looking for, per se...sure glad it's part of this watch, though. There's a full moon tonight at 5:43pm, I believe, so while I think I have it set appropriately (this is my first moon phase), I'll be able to tweak it a bit if not, to try and get it as close to precise as a moonphase complication allows. This shot was taken yesterday, and it's just a hair shy left of center...

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is my favorite moonphase complication (that is, my favorite not in a Patek or Vacheron grand complication). It is still not an inexpensive watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The JLC is a hell of a Moonphase. Didn't they used to make that in a 37mm too.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
The JLC is a hell of a Moonphase. Didn't they used to make that in a 37mm too.

I think so.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Patek open work. I love open worked watches.

Does anybody know what the subdial is at 9:00?

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: Does anybody know what the subdial is at 9:00?
My first guess would be second time zone, but since the minutes hands don't match that might be wrong.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Second zone/UTC.
The watch needs to be set.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post

My 1981 production date Seiko 6309-7049 Suwa. I bought it the same year while in high school. I have worn it off and on since then. Just had it cleaned and lubricated. Running like the fine tuned timepiece that it was when new. The original rubber strap is long gone, but it looks right at home on a OD green NATO strap with SS hardware.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p220cop:

My 1981 production date Seiko 6309-7049 Suwa. I bought it the same year while in high school. I have worn it off and on since then. Just had it cleaned and lubricated. Running like the fine tuned timepiece that it was when new. The original rubber strap is long gone, but it looks right at home on a OD green NATO strap with SS hardware.

Those 6309s are cool. Some call them Willards because of "Apocalypse Now."

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The setting bridge was broken on my old Seamaster 501 when I bought it for almost nothing. For the past year I have been taking the online course and buying tools as needed just to get to this point where I can competently make this simple repair and do a complete cleaning and lubrication. The CHEAPEST quote I could get for the $20 repair was $600.

While I'm at it, I will be replacing the crystal.

Here's a shot of it out of the case.

Omega made BEAUTIFUL movements before the SWATCH takeover to save them after the stupidassed bean counters decided that quartz was more profitable in a world of $20 quartz watches.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Beautiful. Swatch sucks! They ruin everything they touch and much that they don't.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Patek open work. I love open worked watches.

Does anybody know what the subdial is at 9:00?

I surely don't, but that is fascinating. Definitely have a lot of respect for the folks that post about disassembling and cleaning their watches!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
p220cop,

That’s a gorgeous 6309! They are amazing watches, one of my favorites. I gave my brother his first 6309 recently for his birthday. It definitely got him interested in Automatic watches. Cool

Next month I should be receiving a neat blacked out and modded 6309. I can’t wait!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wearing one of of my favorites today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Quick question, this is probably a good place to ask.

When demagnetizing a watch with hacking is it ok to pull the crown and stop the movement then demagnetize or should I let it run down and stop ticking before demagnetizing it?

Does it matter?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

When demagnetizing a watch with hacking is it ok to pull the crown and stop the movement then demagnetize or should I let it run down and stop ticking before demagnetizing it?

Does it matter?

I can't think of a reason why it would matter, but I am not a watchmaker.

Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Do not know if this helps, but this Seiko was running during the process:

https://youtu.be/ni_N9d06JD4

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Does it matter?

It really doesn't matter. But, I prefer to demagnetize movements that are not running . Either way should work just fine.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t seem to have harmed the movement. It might be a bit too early to say for sure but I think demagnetizing did the trick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I found this absolutely perfect Orient Ray I today and snagged it for $80.

He was selling it because he got a Seiko SKX013 and had to hide the expense from his wife.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post