SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Mmm that Speedy is a stunner.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Its finished (for now). NH36 movement, new stem, jumbo crown, new dial and hands, new chapter ring, bezel insert. Still trying to decide if I like the dial, hands, and insert. Maybe, maybe not. Running -5 seconds per day so far in multiple positions.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post

new hammy Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: side_shot,

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
SWEET!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Its finished (for now). NH36 movement, new stem, jumbo crown, new dial and hands, new chapter ring, bezel insert. Still trying to decide if I like the dial, hands, and insert. Maybe, maybe not. Running -5 seconds per day so far in multiple positions.

RMD

Looks great.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys have an Alpina watch? Just ordered an all PVD Alpina Startimer Pilot Chrono. It’s a Swiss quartz movement but the reviews look to be good.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Any of you guys have an Alpina watch? Just ordered an all PVD Alpina Startimer Pilot Chrono. It’s a Swiss quartz movement but the reviews look to be good.

Alpina is well thought of. Their mechanicals can be quite pricey. The quartz should be fine. The majority of movements are made by Ronda and are fine.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Alpine is well thought of. Their mechanicals can be quite pricey. The quartz should be fine. The majority of movements are made by Ronda and are fine.

RMD

Just got it. I like it. Seems like a quality watch. I’m thinking changing it to a brown strap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is the watch that I posted in the first post of this thread. Since that web hosting service went to a pay-only model, the photo is gone.

I still like this watch. It is a self-charging electric watch. There is a rotor that creates a small current that is used to charge a capacitor and a battery. It is quite accurate for a medium-priced quartz, and I like the GMT complication. The button triggers the second hand to move to show how much power reserve the watch has - a ten second movement shows a days' power, and longer sweeps show more power in reserve. Seiko puts that on all the Kinetic line.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Check out these vintage ads from 1958 in Flying magazine.
Look at the prices then vs today and adjust for inflation.
Todays watch prices are ridiculous.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just got it. I like it. Seems like a quality watch. I’m thinking changing it to a brown strap.

Atsa nice a watch. Congrats!!

RMD

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Check out these vintage ads from 1958 in Flying magazine.
Look at the prices then vs today and adjust for inflation.
Todays watch prices are ridiculous.

Rolexes were never cheap, but as you said, $240 in 1958 is about $2000 now. A GMT will cost you $9000 today. They have crossed into the luxury/status category. They are very fine watches, but the prices reflect more than their quality. A triumph of marketing for Rolex.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Omega has went from a fine useful tool to "luxury marketing" item. Swatch is making a killing off of them.
And Rolex never made it to spaceflight.
At least Omega is still riding the coat tails of the NASA program thanks to the fine Lemania movement Omega bought and stuck in a case.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You can always look at Grand Seiko. I am convinced you don't get a better watch unless you go all the way up to Patek or something similar - and those are about half hand made even for the "lesser" Pateks, and they make Rolex look cheap.

With Grand Seiko, you get a movement that is as good as Omega or Rolex, and probably more accurate than the Swiss makers' comparable automatics. There is no doubt that the case finishing is better from Seiko. The price will be about half what a similar Rolex would cost.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
I agree the Grand Seiko is as good if not better than an Omega. And just as good as a Rolex.
The Omega cases are mede in Hong Kong.

Orient makes their own movement in house.
In freaking house and offer a reasonably priced quality timepiece.

posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, do you think the GS will have the long-term durability and accuracy of a Rolex?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Out of curiosity, do you think the GS will have the long-term durability and accuracy of a Rolex?

I don't know why not. Seiko has been making autos and hand winders in the GS line for decades, and they know what they are doing when it comes to watch movements. They last as long as anything the Swiss make. I know a guy who has his father's, which is an early one from the '60s. Of course, Seiko made less fancy mechanicals long before that.

The quartz GS watches are simpler than mechanical watches with fewer moving parts. GS' 9F quartz movement is entirely sealed, and they claim it should need no lubrication or service for 50 years, except to replace the battery, which is on the outside of the sealed movement.

The only unknown to me is the GS Spring Drive movement, which is an electro-mechanical hybrid (Wiki describes it well). Those have only been around since 1980-ish, so are less time-tested. Still, that is 35 years, and I haven't heard any complaints that they wear out early.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This is the watch that I posted in the first post of this thread.

Thank you, jhe, for re-posting that photo. I'm a long-time fan of the Seiko Kinetic line, and I'm loving the one you posted.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
My first "nice" watch was a Seiko Kinetic that my mom got me for graduation from College... unfortunately it has aged stylistically about as well as everything else from the 90's. I still own it and always will.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/BZSiNv7_ODE