SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Tempting! I was lucky enough to get a Helm Vanuatu earlier this year (I ordered it last year). That Orange Komodo looks especially nice. For the money Helm is just outstanding.

Helm has sort of managed to copy Rolex’s business model to a certain degree. Much like Rolex Helm figures out the demand for their watch and massively underproduces to make sure the demand is not met. This creates a situation where their watches are worth more used than new so long as you are lucky enough to get one before they sell out. Helm will probably sell out of every single one of those 150 Komodo watches today. Sales start at 10 eastern time. It’ll be quite interesting to see how quickly they sell out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Tempting! I was lucky enough to get a Helm Vanuatu earlier this year (I ordered it last year). That Orange Komodo looks especially nice. For the money Helm is just outstanding.

Helm has sort of managed to copy Rolex’s business model to a certain degree. Much like Rolex Helm figures out the demand for their watch and massively underproduces to make sure the demand is not met. This creates a situation where their watches are worth more used than new so long as you are lucky enough to get one before they sell out. Helm will probably sell out of every single one of those 150 Komodo watches today. Sales start at 10 eastern time. It’ll be quite interesting to see how quickly they sell out.

Regret I missed the Vanuatu last time - underestimated how quick they go.

As for today - pushed the button at 10:00 and 1-second----got the order confirmation on the Black face with Lume.
Checked backed at 10:06 - SOLD OUT !!!!!

Pics to follow on arrival...……………...

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
When I saw Helm encouraging use of PayPal at checkout to expedite the process I figured they might sell out super fast. Six minutes!?!? Dang Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Wow.

If I hadn't blown the watch budget for the year, I would've been seriously temped to try to snag one of the orange face models. Six minutes is impressive.

Anyways, congrats on scoring one! I look forward to the pictures. Cool

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Steinhart & Gnomon should collaborate more often. This is a fun little Tudor homage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was seriously tempted, but I just bought an Axios Ironclad, so maybe next time...

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LMLarsen:
I was seriously tempted, but I just bought an Axios Ironclad, so maybe next time...

Pics or it didn't happen............ Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You guys see Elshan’s latest creation yet? The new Horizons field watch & diver are looking better than I was expecting.

I especially like the teal diver and the blue diver with the white bezel insert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I especially like the teal diver and the blue diver with the white bezel insert.

Those are nice. I quite like that teal with white bezel insert, nice contrast. The dial isn't exactly like it, but it does seem strongly influenced by the Phoibos Voyager.

You asked me some pages back about it, and I replied, and accidentally edited out my reply. I think the Voyager dial would be awesome on a 42mm watch that's a few mm thinner, and a non-GMT bezel and maybe dot and bar indices and ditch the sword hands. I also think that dial would look amazing in a deep red and a bright orange as well. Teal would look great, too. If you're going to go flashy, you might as well go big or go home, and that dial is too nice to simply be a "one and done" so I hope they make at least a few other variants with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I agree. Hopefully Phoibos will expand the Voyager line. Zelos has two very similar dials that look a lot like they Voyager except one has a slight swirl and the other has a different texture as well as a swirl effect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:

Pics or it didn't happen............ Wink

Big Grin Should have thought of that.
D336C991-AF56-4483-8497-3C3F4AF6C5E0

One of the last Rising Suns from the latest run. 500m WR, Selitta SW-200 movement, lume for all night and then some. Got it as a replacement EDC for my TAG Aquaracer Chrono quartz that goes thru a battery in about 20 months and is losing bezel inlays after only 10 years. Disappointing.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Finally, after all these years I have managed to acquire two Balls. Big Grin

I scooped up a nice used Ball Fireman for a crazy good price. It has blue tritium too and 66 gas tubes total. There are a few dents and small dings I've found on the case but overall the watch is in pretty good shape. If you’re not looking for the dents/dings they are not obvious and easily seen. The DLC finish appears to be quite robust. Two of the lugs have dents, one appears to have been quite an impact and yet the DLC finish is still intact.

The leather strap is in decent shape but my tiny wrist is almost too small for this strap. It fits loosely even on the smallest setting. I might change it out for the rubber straps some of these watches come with from the factory. My other Fireman has rubber straps. The cheapest I’ve found the OEM Ball rubber straps is $250. Eek And that’s on eBay. That price is almost as obscene as the $500 Omega NATO straps.

Being 21mm and having a DLC case limits bracelet options a bit.

Look at that all that blue!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I like that a lot!
I've still been dailying my Dave Troung sourced Citizen.

Definitely been some from here that hold my interest, it's only money. Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally, after all these years I have managed to acquire two Balls. Big Grin

Hey Stickman, I, too, have a pair of Balls Cool. They both came via David, when he was still a Ball dealer.

The Fireman Victory, which gets a lot of wrist time, is sporting the Ball rubber strap.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Those are awesome Tooky! I had one from Dave years ago. A lot of watch for the money!

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Those are VERY nice! I’ve been QUITE tempted by Ball’s heritage chronometer diver which has a different crown design but nearly $2k is a lot of money for a watch without a display case back to showcase that gorgeous movement.

My (probably unending) quest for the perfect dive watch trudges on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those are VERY nice! I’ve been QUITE tempted by Ball’s heritage chronometer diver which has a different crown design but nearly $2k is a lot of money for a watch without a display case back to showcase that gorgeous movement.

My (probably unending) quest for the perfect dive watch trudges on.

You need a nice red Sub, but the Comex Sub isn't bad either.

https://www.hodinkee.com/artic...-rolex-world-records

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Does Rolex still offer any Subs with drilled lugs? Those vintage Subs look amazing. A bit out of my price range though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wish Marathon made this watch in a smaller size. 46mm is not going to work for me. If that damn thing was 39-40mm it would be perfect.

Sinn makes something similar in a more appropriate size but it lacks tritium.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Stick, that is one of my two regrets in the watch world.

#1- I could have gotten a Rolex Submariner for $1200, and I didn't take the deal.

#2- When I was in the market for another watch and looking at Marathons, I went with the GSAR and not the Chrono. The extra $ was no big deal at the time. IIRC, the GSAR was +/- $800, the Chrono was +/- $1200... I don't think you can find a (new) Chrono for under $2500 now.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post