SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I've had three significant sell-mistakes in my watch nerd wanderings. This was one of them. It's the only one I'll be able to rectify. I'll try not to make the same mistake twice! Smile

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Stickman, is the bezel on the Tissot metal?

I agree, the compass bezel isn't the best choice, but I do like the watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
JHE888, I’ll know for sure in a few days. Wink I think it is probably metal. If the dang thing is plastic then I’m definitely going to be looking into replacement options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My Oct 2001 initial military contract Marathon SAR (aka GSAR) just came back from servicing. It has been bulletproof for 18 years! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a thick bezel. Looks like it has bulletproof glass for that initial contact!

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My Certina DS-8 HAQ is now sporting a new strap, Nubuck buffalo leather.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Wow! That's a thick bezel. Looks like it has bulletproof glass for that initial contact!

It is a pretty thick bezel. Easy to grab with gloves or wet fingers.

IIRC, side by side, a Marathon is really close to the overall thickness of a Rolex.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
r0gue, that's a stunning Geophysic you have. Great pictures too!

ELKA (Edward Louis Kiek jewelers of Amsterdam) private label watch uses the Lemania 1340 movement. Looks to be based on an Omega of the same mid-70s period.

It, along with a 1965 Omega Constellation Pie-Pan I inherited, are my only "dress" watches as I normally favor larger "tool" watches be they chronos, divers, or GMTs. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

IIRC, side by side, a Marathon is really close to the overall thickness of a Rolex.

From MWR archives: Marathon SAR and Rolex Seadweller

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone got a bronze watch? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a micro brand diver that is available with a bronze case. The way they patina and all age differently is interesting. Any reason to avoid bronze?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wonder if your arm will turn green from the bronze reacting to your sweat.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yes that is an issue. Most bronze watches have a stainless steel case back to avoid or minimize that issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

They're tall watches. The bezel was designed to be easy to grab with gloves on. Same with the crown.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Anyone got a bronze watch? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a micro brand diver that is available with a bronze case. The way they patina and all age differently is interesting. Any reason to avoid bronze?

I've got one coming in October. It has a steel case back.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
JHE888 that Tissot you asked about does indeed use a metal compass bezel. I like it so far. It came with a very nice box and book on the complete history of Tissot. It’s a neat looking watch and looks pretty good on a black mesh bracelet.

This is what’s got me really excited. ARA watches are hand made in Canada and from what I’ve been reading and have experienced thus far (I’ve only had mine a few days) they are pretty dern good. It has an undecorated Swiss ETA 2824-2 that has been regulated before leaving their shop. Their website is truly basic and he apparently wants to talk to his customers because the website says multiple times to contact them for a better price. Small shop operation fun by father and sons with 50+ years experience. One watch forum mentioned the owner occasionally follows up with his customers to make sure they like the watch. That’s good to read.I think I am going to get another one. It’s such a great little watch.

Link to ARA’s website

Anyone here have one of these?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
My Certina DS-8 HAQ is now sporting a new strap, Nubuck buffalo leather.

Nice! Smile

Like henryaz I just picked up some new straps. Mine are very soft leather NATOs from G&Co. Previously bought a gray one to replace a mesh bracelet on a Sinn 156 which I liked enough to order more.

This black one, delivered today, is on a 2001 Limited Edition of 300 Zeno Sea Hunter 485 GMTs.

And this gray one on my Seiko "Jumbo" AV013 6138-3009 I bought back in 1975.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I scooped up a new and a well worn Tissot watch recently. The diver style one has a neat look to it. I love the overall smaller feel of this watch.

I am actually liking this big thing a lot more than I was expecting. Stylistically it sort of has a diver vibe going on but the bi-directional compass bezel messes that up, though it is different. The lume on the hands and dial doesn’t last too long but the trade off is a watch that is quite visible during the day and easy to read. There is no lume indicator for each hour, just 6,9,12 so it’s not the best low light watch. It keeps good time and is comfy on a black mesh bracelet. The turbine style sapphire case back is also a nice touch. Seems like a pretty good bang for your buck watch at Jomashop’s current price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
These arrived today in a jobber's lot with two crap pieces and two decent Seikos. They'll get restored and moved onward. The Driver on the left is Rose Gold (hard to tell in the work lighting) and reasonably valuable.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this pie pan, great piece...

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
r0gue, that's a stunning Geophysic you have. Great pictures too!

ELKA (Edward Louis Kiek jewelers of Amsterdam) private label watch uses the Lemania 1340 movement. Looks to be based on an Omega of the same mid-70s period.

It, along with a 1965 Omega Constellation Pie-Pan I inherited, are my only "dress" watches as I normally favor larger "tool" watches be they chronos, divers, or GMTs. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

From MWR archives: Marathon SAR and Rolex Seadweller

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I scooped up a new and a well worn Tissot watch recently. The diver style one has a neat look to it. I love the overall smaller feel of this watch.

I am actually liking this big thing a lot more than I was expecting. Stylistically it sort of has a diver vibe going on but the bi-directional compass bezel messes that up, though it is different. The lume on the hands and dial doesn’t last too long but the trade off is a watch that is quite visible during the day and easy to read. There is no lume indicator for each hour, just 6,9,12 so it’s not the best low light watch. It keeps good time and is comfy on a black mesh bracelet. The turbine style sapphire case back is also a nice touch. Seems like a pretty good bang for your buck watch at Jomashop’s current price.

I picked up one of the Navigators with the SS band and white face. I end up wearing it more often than not because it’s built like a tank but also because I hate when I scratch the AR coating on my Fortis.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I recently found out we are related to the Thommen families in Switzerland and it’s pushed me to want a Revue Thommen watch for the namesake. The diver GMT has really been tempting. Does anyone have any experience or input with either the model or brand?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post