SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I try to avoid servicing chronos as parts can be hard to come by and people generally are shocked at the costs of servicing a chronograph watch.

RMD

Really don't like reading this, as I have a Seiko SNAF71P1 that I love.

Not an expensive watch, and it has been discontinued.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
I really like the radiused bezel on that Squale chrono!

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Seiko SNAF71P1 that I love.

Very nice!

(Pic grabbed from web search.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I try to avoid servicing chronos as parts can be hard to come by and people generally are shocked at the costs of servicing a chronograph watch.

RMD

Really don't like reading this, as I have a Seiko SNAF71P1 that I love.

Not an expensive watch, and it has been discontinued.

There are a few watchmakers that I've used in the past who won't touch them. Which is fine with me, because I wouldn't trust mine to them anyway. We agree on their limitations, so to speak.

Your's is unlikely to break for a long time because it is quartz powered vs mechanical.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
vthoky, thank you! I'm drawn to watches with roman numerals, and they are polished (and appear to be raised)
on this watch. Perhaps the price point wasn't in Seiko's favor with this model.

r0gue, I guess I can see how working on a watch with multiple movements, if
that is correct terminology, is... not desirable work.

Glad to hear it should live a long life.

I've been frantically searching for a backup. No dice.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not that it's not desirable work so much, it's just that it can be extraordinarily complex and nuanced work. Many watchmakers simply do not have the required skill. Not all are as complex as those I've chosen to illustrate the differences, but these particular ones (not mine sadly) are beautiful examples.

The 7T62A shown is what is in your Seiko. Very unlikely to fail for decades. Few moving parts, and made by a very good brand.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not really separate movements, but a lot of complex machinery added to a movement whose specific duty is only to tell time.

More modern chronographs are modularized so that most servicers simply buy a new module and add it to the serviced basic movement. The older chronos were built on movements by adding the individual components required to make the chrono function(s).

They are beautiful and complex works of mechanical art.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
The 7T62A shown is what is in your Seiko. Very unlikely to fail for decades. Few moving parts, and made by a very good brand.

^^^^^

He's right. I've got a Seiko chrono with the 7T62A that I've had for at least 25 years. Until the last two years or so, it was literally my every day watch. It's been absolutely faultless, and is probably the major component in my draw toward Seiko watches. The only reason it's not still my every day watch is that I have picked up a couple more Seiko watches.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Lots of thanks to Gnomon! Bad news travels further and faster than good news but THIS is an exception. Gnomon fixed one of my favorites and now she is as good as new!

I own more expensive watches sure but something about this watch and it’s shape/aesthetic seems perfect to me. I can’t keep it off my wrist for too long...

Perfect alignment. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I like it! I'm a sucker for orange hands.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks rOgue! It’s definitely one of my favorites and a brand you don’t see too often. The sub dial hands and large second hand for the Chrono are all a bright shade of fluorescent Orange. They really stand out on the black and gray dial.

I got a gorgeous and surprisingly small diver yesterday. My first Squale is quite a looker! So far I am QUITE impressed with this little watch. I was worried about the day wheel not being in English but thankfully that is a non issue. Gnomon claims only 50 of these will be made using new and old parts found in their factory in Italy. The case back is stamped 2006, which was a VERY good year in my life. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I like it! I'm a sucker for orange hands.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Looks like factory KTM MotoGP colors. I like it!

Orange and black is the way to go.

My recent tiny Valjoux 7750 powered diver next to old faithful who is also Orange and black (SKX011J1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
r0gue, rduckwor, and vthoky, thank you for the explanations about mechanical vs quartz,
and positive thoughts on the movement in my Seiko.

Hope it keeps on keeping on. Funny how I get so attached to a $125-ish watch!

Stick, crossthread points for the Luminox/cycle comparison! Big Grin

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That Squale is a seriously good looking watch, and I usually don't like chrono divers.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
(SKX011J1)

Great, stickman, just great. Keep posting SKX pics... you're gonna end up costing me money. Razz

Somewhere out there, there's an SKX007 that wants to be mine.

quote:
r0gue, rduckwor, and vthoky, thank you

Glad to be encouraging! Or enabling, perhaps. Cool

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Vthoky, I don’t own a SKX007. Prob never will. I’m too enamored with my orange dial made in Japan English/Arabic SKX011J1. Like a mad scientist I’m about to meld a SRP775 turtle (the gilt/ black and gold version with a dial/movement from a SKX011J1). It has an identical bezel insert to the SKX011 and should be pretty cool looking. To my knowledge Seiko never made a flat orange dial SRP/Turtle. The “Nemo” limited edition version has a sunburst orange dial, SRP/Turtle indices and a blue/orange bezel insert. A turtle with SKX markers & a SRP775 case/ bezel insert will look quite different and unique.

Basically this case/ bezel

I’ll use the dial & complete movement from this watch. I’ll lose hacking but the 7S movement I am using is more accurate currently than the 4R36 it will be replacing. I love orange dial Seiko divers so it should be a neat finished product.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's a bold strategy, Cotton....

Kidding!

I think it's way cool you're willing to custom-build one. I haven't convinced myself yet that i like the Turtle case. I'd probably say something different once I got one on my wrist. I'd try the custom thing -- mechanically, I'd enjoy it; I'm not sure I'm creative enough to do one well.

That said, I'm way intrigued by a few models at Mad Mod World (I forget who posted that link, but it's a rabbit hole for sure!). Like this one.

God bless America.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
One from today... Probably my best yet of this watch.

posted Hide Post
quote:
r0gue, rduckwor, and vthoky, thank you for the explanations about mechanical vs quartz,
and positive thoughts on the movement in my Seiko.

Hope it keeps on keeping on. Funny how I get so attached to a $125-ish watch!

Stick, crossthread points for the Luminox/cycle comparison! Big Grin

For whatever it is worth, I owned one of the Montblanc watches rOgue pictured from SJX (original blue dial steel case 100 piece edition), Super cool manual winding Minerva Swiss movement until it literally seized a month or so into ownership. Sure, it can happen to any brand. But let me tell you something, Montblanc's customer service is the worst, so bad I will never own any of their products again.

Your $125 Seiko will serve you just fine. Enjoy it!

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post