SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've not heard of Seiko 5 before so I was looking online at them. Are these good watches for $75-$120 or so? Are they short term to failure junk?

I've had Seikos before, have one now, but they were at least a couple hundred bucks.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my cheapest of the Seiko 5 line for over 2 years now, wear it every day. Not a single hiccup.

Oh, and I'm kinda rough on watches...

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Seiko 5 is Seiko's "entry level" line. They are fine, reliable, serviceable watches, but normally have more basic movements, less features, less water resistance, and a lower level of fit and finish over the higher end Seikos. This is not to say they are "crap." They are not.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13482 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Japanese market watches won't generally come to the U.S. with a warranty. A lot of those watches are just that - watches Seiko doesn't sell to the U.S. or European market. It isn't the retailer, it is Seiko. If you want the watch, it isn't going to have a Seiko warranty.

The company selling the watch on Amazon, CDI Watches, is in California. My question to them was "seiko 5 SRP241 which you are selling on Amazon -- is it available with the Seiko warranty?"

Their reply was "We are authorized Seiko dealer, we will stamp the warranty card, it will cover three year U.S. Seiko warranty."

So I guess they will have the Seiko warranty. When I discussed non-US watches with Seiko USA a few weeks ago I think they said they honored the international warranties, and definitely said they would repair them.

If I can determine that the case is really 40mm I think I'll risk it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Anyone else waiting for Shinola's automatic watches?

Which one(s) you looking at?

I want something like this in Automatic

https://www.shinola.com/mens/w...rono-44mm-27931.html

I really want a good quality American made watch in the $1500-2000 range. I've been looking at Kobold too.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

My very basic Marathon came today, and I couldn't be more pleased. I was concerned the 36mm might be a bit small, but it fits my wrist just fine. It does all I want, with a stainless case and sapphire crystal. Any sites recommended for basic leather bands in 16mm width?

Nice! Perfect utility watch.

I've been very happy with every transaction from Crown and Buckle

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really want a good quality American made watch in the $1500-2000 range. I've been looking at Kobold too.

American made is a tough order order I think. I mean, Kobold (last I'd heard) cased up Swiss movements. Shinola (presumably Chinese made parts). Best bet that I'm aware of is RGM in PA. Roland Murphy. I have a vintage Breitling with him now for service. He's a master, and many of his creations are (100%?) American made.

http://www.rgmwatches.com/

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
My very basic Marathon came today, and I couldn't be more pleased. I was concerned the 36mm might be a bit small, but it fits my wrist just fine. It does all I want, with a stainless case and sapphire crystal. Any sites recommended for basic leather bands in 16mm width?

Strangely, that watch should support an 18mm easily at 36mm, but they used a wide lug. It'll limit some of your strap choices.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's a master, and many of his creations are (100%?) American made.

Well, he's probably a balance-spring-hostage like most of the rest of the world too.

Love what they've done with the RGM line.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm this RGM pro diver looks suspiciously a lot like the old style Tissot Seastar 1000 automatic from the early 2000's

http://www.rgmwatches.com/watches#/300/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also Weiss if you're looking for "American" made.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

American made is a tough order order I think. I mean, Kobold (last I'd heard) cased up Swiss movements. Shinola (presumably Chinese made parts). Best bet that I'm aware of is RGM in PA. Roland Murphy. I have a vintage Breitling with him now for service. He's a master, and many of his creations are (100%?) American made.

Shinola uses imported Swiss components that they then assemble in Detroit. Their stuff is pretty, they have a shop in Ann Arbor that is worth wasting some time in. I'm not sure their watches justify their prices though. Lots of other watches I like in the $800-1,200 price range. I will say their store has a really, really nice display of leather bands.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any mass produced American movements at that price. RGM uses ETA movements in its less expensive models, and modifies them. RGM does make some custom watches with handmade movements. They are expensive. Shinola uses Swiss movements. Others use Miyota movements. There are some other American watches with handmade movements, but those are not in the $2000 range.

The closest you can get is American-ish watches. American cases and dials with a Swiss or Asian movement. In my view, there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't think anyone has made factory made movements in the U.S.A. since Hamilton closed up in Lancaster. (Even by the '60s, Hamilton was using some Swiss movements.) Maybe Timex made some mechanical movements later than Hamilton.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well I will keep looking. This weeks wat h came in today. I'm addicted to NATO brands lately. Watch isna Seiko Prospex Solar Diver.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I believe Filson's endeavor into the watch arena was a joint effort with Shinola. The watches looked pretty good, but carried a "Filson" price tag, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmm this RGM pro diver looks suspiciously a lot like the old style Tissot Seastar 1000 automatic from the early 2000's

Similar as heck? yeah. But I don't believe one is of the other, do you? Different, lugs, crown, crown-guard, data location, dial and hands etc... Are you thinking Roland is reworking NOS Tissot?

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

Similar as heck? yeah. But I don't believe one is of the other, do you? Different, lugs, crown, crown-guard, data location, dial and hands etc... Are you thinking Roland is reworking NOS Tissot?

Not really sure just thought they are strikingly similar. Those old Tissot's fetch a pretty penny these days. More then they did when they were new.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So for the longest time I have been ignoring my watch collection. Just recently I started buying new ones and wearing them. In all honesty I think the fact that I had an Apple Watch was the problem. I ended up relying on it too much. This week I sold my Apple Watch, picked up a new Fitbit Alta and renewed my passion for traditional time pieces. I needed something for work that could stand up to the demand (i.e. Bodily fluids) at work in the ER so I decided on a Casio G-Shock G100A. I had a brand new Luminox that I never wore (I actually forgot I bought it and found it in an un-opened Amazon box) which would have fit the bill perfectly but I gave it to a friend. Hoping the G-Shock does the trick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
This weeks watch came in today. I'm addicted to NATO brands lately. Watch is a Seiko Prospex Solar Diver.

Looks great! How do you like it? How big is the case? (Looks like it would be Yuge on my skinny wrist.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13482 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post