SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
the $400 watch was subject to a double Xmas/Open a credit card discount and I walked out the door for $240 plus tax. The model number is GN 4W S 120 WR 20BAR RADIO CONTROLLED PERPETUAL CALANDER.

Posts: 705 | Registered: April 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That Yachtmaster is something. I prefer the steel and platinum model, but I'd wear that two tone if I had it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just1tym, that looks like a professional dive watch. The watch I bought for $140 has a great face but I would describe it as a dive in the pool watch.

posted Hide Post
Any way when my wife dives in the pool she doesn't have to worry about a decompression rate. She gets out when her fingers start to shrivel up.

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
Need some help from the watch experts: Looking to pick up a nice, new watch for $350 - $500....

Here are my votes:

SARB033

SARB017

The SARB017 has much better fit and finish than the SARB033, but it's a bit pricier and does not have an exhibition back. Also, the 017 comes with a horrible strap so you'll most likely opt for the Seiko bracelet at ~$120 or a different real leather strap.

brminpin (and others), thanks for the comments/advice. It's come down to these two from my earlier posted list of a half-dozen or so -- I'll pick up a Swiss later down the road -- and, interestingly enough, your mention of the SARB017 made me consider that watch again, and at this point it's now become my focus and I've spent way too much time reading up and watching YouTube videos on it...everything about it has really grown on me (except the band, which will have to go...will probably opt for a stainless bracelet), and I think it'd be a bit more versatile dresser than the more classic/formal SARB033. But I do love the 033 as well...hope to (finally) pull the trigger on one tomorrow. No idea which one it'll be, though if I had to guess at this moment it's probably going to be the 017.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Running at approximately +1 second per month is perfectly acceptable for a quartz movement. You'd likely have to spend far more to get a watch that runs any better.

One second a month is more than acceptable for a quartz, and is damn good.

A run of the mill quartz can be expected to be accurate to about ten seconds a month. Fifteen seconds isn't out of what you would expect for a cheap quartz watch.

Seiko makes a high accuracy quartz movement that is spec-ed at 10 seconds a year. I have one of those, and mine is better than advertised at about four or five seconds a year. (It is hard to be more precise than that - 5 seconds a year isn't much.) Citizen also makes a 5 second a year quartz movement. That is top-notch accuracy, though.

The main enemy of quartz accuracy is thermal variation. The quartz crystal's vibration is affected by temperature. A purer crystal will vary with temperature in more predictable ways, but you still have to compensate for that temperature variation in some way. Different makers do it differently, and they are secretive about their techniques.

One second a month is quite good for a quartz watch. Under that is getting into excellent territory.

By contrast, the best mechanical watches can't be expected to do much better than 4 seconds a month, and that is the best of them. A "normal" mechanical could be off by 15 or 20 seconds a month, and that isn't bad at all.

Why I love my Casio Gulfmaster, everynight it syncs to the nearest atomic clock. Have never seen it off for even a second. I need to turn it off and see how it does.

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzzerker:
My Vizio with a Qing dynasty sword and scabbard.

As a Movado fan, thumbs up from me. Love my Fiero.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
In keeping with my history of unashamedly showing off my bargain-basement acquisitions, here's my latest.

I bought it because it was the only under-$25 watch at my local Wal-Mart that had a real rotating bezel. Several others LOOKED like they did, but when I tried them they were just molded to resemble a rotating bezel...no good unless you plan all your dives to turn at the top of the hour.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I dig it, Dave!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice Dave.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:

David, thats a fantastic photo for an iPhone 6S+, well done! Love the strap too.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Father's Day gift from wife/kids:

Not sure why it's posting sideways.

Edit: Photo removed, Flickr isn't cooperating at work & the photo was huge Eek

Third time's the charm?

Another shout out/thanks to our own Dave! Happy customer (indirect) here!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked this little beauty up from my dealer. Really digging it. The smooth sweeping second hand of the Spring Drive is totally intoxicating. Though at 44mm, it's a big watch, it wears smaller since the lugs are short and nicely curved.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ I was a little concerned with wearing a 44mm (posted just above yours) but it wears just fine.
I don't think I could pull off anything bigger, though.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very nice, I like it. Actually it really doesn't look to be 44mm, it actually looks smaller.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
brminpin

Nice watch, brminpin.

I'd like a spring drive, but they always put those power reserves on them, and I don't care for that complication. Seiko loves power reserve indicators, which seem useless to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Looks great on you, brminpin!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just picked this little beauty up from my dealer. Really digging it.

Very nice. My GS is my favorite watch right now.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
brminpin

Nice watch, brminpin.

I'd like a spring drive, but they always put those power reserves on them, and I don't care for that complication. Seiko loves power reserve indicators, which seem useless to me.

A SD without an indicator:

https://www.hodinkee.com/artic...-micro-artist-studio

A bit out of my price range though.... ;-)