SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
I sent it in to Omega for service and they quickly sent it back, saying they don’t carry parts for them anymore.

I ran into a similar issue with my 1965 Constellation PiePan (ST168-004). When I had the Cal 561 serviced a few years back, I was advised that the crown with stem's integral O-ring (which provides a dust seal and 3 BAR water resistance) had disintegrated. No original replacements with the Omega ῼ logo on the crown existed anymore.

So I had a choice to keep it original without a functional seal or use an aftermarket crown/stem that had no Omega ῼ. I opted to keep this dress watch original.

Esslinger carries marked Omega crowns.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
I sent it in to Omega for service and they quickly sent it back, saying they don’t carry parts for them anymore.

I ran into a similar issue with my 1965 Constellation PiePan (ST168-004). When I had the Cal 561 serviced a few years back, I was advised that the crown with stem's integral O-ring (which provides a dust seal and 3 BAR water resistance) had disintegrated. No original replacements with the Omega ῼ logo on the crown existed anymore.

So I had a choice to keep it original without a functional seal or use an aftermarket crown/stem that had no Omega ῼ. I opted to keep this dress watch original.

Esslinger carries marked Omega crowns.

Not to fit my watch.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well. Somewhere down the modding rabbit hole, I discovered lumed sapphire bezel inserts, and wouldn't you know it, they make one for my Glycine....

https://lcbistore.com/products...e-bezel-insert-black

Speaking of modding, where should I look for 28.5mm dials? I'd prefer no date, but as long as I'm getting rid of that cyclops, I could live with a date window. I've checked out Yobokies, and his prices are high and I've seen people complain that they're not lumed very well. Raffels has Tudor dials, but they all have a day window, so that's not going to work and besides, I'm not trying to pull off a fake Tudor, just cop the look. Dagaz has a nice set of gold snowflake hands, but I'm not seeing a dial that really calls to me. I'd like to pull off something like this, if possible:

Or this:

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
I just happened to notice that this thread has more than 1,300,000 views! I think the only other thread with more (x3) is Para's "You Will Buy a Glock". Pretty amazing... jhe888, you deserve the credit Smile.

Enough of the cat pictures got 'em both beat!

Cat pictures

Well, mea culpa, I didn't think to look in the 'What's Your Deal' section. I also noticed the 'Fun Pictures/Memes...' is more than 2.44 Million. 1.5M is still a lot! Cool

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Something awesome is on its way.

Helson had 15% off this week, so I hoisted the Jolly Roger!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Speaking of modding, where should I look for 28.5mm dials?

I have yet to find an aftermarket dial with good lume. I've used Yobokies, Dagaz, and several others and they all skimp on lume. Good Luck.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or this:

This is just outrageously beautiful.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Speaking of modding, where should I look for 28.5mm dials?

I have yet to find an aftermarket dial with good lume. I've used Yobokies, Dagaz, and several others and they all skimp on lume. Good Luck.

RMD

Thanks. I guess I’ll look into whether it would be possible the de-brand the dial without totally destroying it. If the applied logo is pinned through, I bet I could solder a tiny bead onto the hole that wouldn’t look too horrendously out of place. If the indices have a bowl shape to them, I bet I could probably use some lacquer thinner to remove the garbage “lume” and apply new stuff. Either way, it will be a learning experience and that’s what I was after in the first place. If I wind up with a decent looking watch at the end of it, I’ll consider it a bonus.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
My fathers watch, mom bought it for him in 1974.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That looks like 1974. Very nice!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
My fathers watch, mom bought it for him in 1974.

Delightful! I love it!!!!!

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That Omega is gorgeous!!!! I love it! I’ve never seen one like it before. It sort of reminds me of the 1970’s Tissot Seastar chronographs from that era. Very cool.

I decided to try something completely different. So far it’s been fun to learn the OS and various functions though sadly its OS isn’t nearly as intuitive as my Suunto core & Seiko Digi Tuna though to be fair this watch has way more functions and capability so it’s going to be more of a difficult user interface.

This is what it looks like until you smack it to wake it up. (The wrist flick to turn on feature runs the battery down).

Until some genius figures out how to make one of these smart watches solar powered, kinetic powered or nuclear powered I don’t see it replacing my beloved automatics but it is going to be my new workout/biking watch.

Yeah, I had to put it on a mesh bracelet because they are the best. Big Grin Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Stick, I'm glad you bought one of those. Big Grin

I just about had myself convinced to buy one last week, and talked myself out of it (again). I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How I felt when I discovered the new Citizen smart watch’s “rotating diver style” bezel doesn’t in fact rotate at all. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So apparently some of these smart watch apps will let me design my own watch dial. Interesting. I’m trying to find a free app for the Citizen CZ Smart that won’t set me up for some automatic billing subscription crap. It would be awesome if I could design a chronograph dial with 3 subdials (seconds, minutes and hours) a day date and have the pushers actually activate the chronograph. There is a chronograph function that uses the pushers but you have to access/activate it.

So far the new Citizen is pretty neat. I like that it has different settings to manage the battery life. It was neat to see the sleep sensor confirm that I am not getting nearly enough sleep. Big Grin I also like that the watch allows you to turn off all the smart features. Apparently doing this allows for a few weeks of battery life on a single charge.

It’s a neat watch and I’m enjoying it so far but I don’t see it replacing any of my automatic watches.

What will truly change the watch world forever? When battery technology, processors and solar energy all improve to the point that someone can make a smart eco drive watch. I think we will eventually get there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^I saw that Helson sale and came very close to ordering one of their brass 42mm Shark Divers, mainly as I don't have any brass watches. But I've already got a couple nice auto's that scratch that itch.

Something else, pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum caught my eye...in the mail now, should be here in a few days (don't want to jinx it too much until I have it in hand).

It's not quite as bad as boats or horses, but you can certainly jump feet first into the watch addition rabbit hole. The other day, a fellow noticed my Deep Blue Sea Ram and we chatted about watches for a minute.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I had my eye on a Hamilton field watch until I found the Glycine Combat SUB 42 Full-Black.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Glycine Combat Auto Sub is fantastic. I especially like the sandy dial 3,6,9 dial version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
glycine by Kent Matthew, on Flickr

This is the one that caught my eye. Not really thrilled about the band, but I have a black NATO that didn't work on my Citizen Pro Master that will fill in nicely. There are a couple on Jomashop's site that are not the exact thing, but I probably could be talked into one.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a few watches with carbon fiber weave looking bands.

My Glycine came with a PVD bracelet but I of course swapped it out for a PVD two tone mesh style bracelet. This mesh feels way better than the original bracelet but it also matches the watch case perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~