SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
First incoming of 2016. Parting shot of the one I traded just to warm up the thread.

This is one of my bigger disappointments in my watch purchases. I thought I liked it. I bought it. Yet, I never bonded with this one. Nearly 2 years and probably less than a dozen real outings on the wrist. It's a great watch , but wrong for me . It was time to cut it loose.

For me I believe it was 90% because of the polished numerals. In direct light, the 3, 6, 9 seemed to disappear --- particularly a direct light source indoors reflecting the light away from the eyes. In more diffuse light (say outdoors and overcast) they would shine brightly. No lume, so in poor light, they were gone.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like mine more than you like yours, Rogue. But I would like it better if there were lume on the numbers instead being polished metal. It would unify all the markers on the dial and solve the glare.

They make it that way now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They make it that way now.

Which somehow only steeled my will that the one I owned was done "wrong". Ahh the nutty foibles of a WIS. It's a great watch of course. The movement is spectacular!

posted Hide Post
As stated, the brand new 2016 Explorer I has (a) lumed 3, 6, and 9 numerals, and (b) longer hour and minute hands to account for the 39mm case.

So go back to your AD and get the newest one, man! The reference number is actually the same so you'll have to confirm that it's the newest with those changes. Great watch, their movements are robust and accurate as you know.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
As stated, the brand new 2016 Explorer I has (a) lumed 3, 6, and 9 numerals, and (b) longer hour and minute hands to account for the 39mm case.

So go back to your AD and get the newest one, man! The reference number is actually the same so you'll have to confirm that it's the newest with those changes. Great watch, their movements are robust and accurate as you know.

I considered it, but I'm really not a bracelet watch guy anymore. With smaller wrists, straps work better for me. It looks great in the new configuration.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Never been much of Rolex fan. I do like the GMT-II and the Submariner, but being a stingy guy, I can't see paying the toll for those watches.

I can understand how some do and to them, I say go for it.

I almost pulled the trigger on a used Rolex some time ago, but in the end, I just couldn't do it. I have much the same feelings about Breitling, but in disclosure, I did own one for a while.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Never been much of Rolex fan. I do like the GMT-II and the Submariner, but being a stingy guy, I can't see paying the toll for those watches.

I can understand how some do and to them, I say go for it.

I almost pulled the trigger on a used Rolex some time ago, but in the end, I just couldn't do it. I have much the same feelings about Breitling, but in disclosure, I did own one for a while.

RMD

I keep looking at these, replica Rolexes:

http://www.perfectwatches.cn/men?brand=2873

I have no interest in paying thousands for a watch that will inevitably get scratched up and banged around as my daily wears do now...but it would be fun to have one of these $200 replicas. Not to fool anyone, of course, or for some sort of false, reflected prestige, but just the novelty of it, the fun factor. For a couple hundred, it might be worth it.

Anyone ever had one of these (or similar) before? Is it going to crap out the day after delivery, or does it have a decent mechanism?

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

I keep looking at these, replica Rolexes:

http://www.perfectwatches.cn/men?brand=2873

I have no interest in paying thousands for a watch that will inevitably get scratched up and banged around as my daily wears do now...but it would be fun to have one of these $200 replicas. Not to fool anyone, of course, or for some sort of false, reflected prestige, but just the novelty of it, the fun factor. For a couple hundred, it might be worth it.

Anyone ever had one of these (or similar) before? Is it going to crap out the day after delivery, or does it have a decent mechanism?

Does not compute. Why would anyone want a watch that said Rolex for any reason other than to fool people into thinking you have a Rolex?

There are plenty of great watches for $200 that would be infinitely better, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Does not compute. Why would anyone want a watch that said Rolex for any reason other than to fool people into thinking you have a Rolex?

There are plenty of great watches for $200 that would be infinitely better, imo.

At that price range, I'd find a nice Citizen from our own Dave.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:...There are plenty of great watches for $200 that would be infinitely better [than a counterfeit Rolex].

I couldn't agree more. Why spend $200 on a cheap, illegal, knock-off when there are good, serviceable watches that aren't morally reprehensible?

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

And there is the whole counterfeiting thing, too. It is a form of theft.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Not sure I can really qualify my reasoning any better than I have -- that it just sounds like a fun thing to have, for my own personal enjoyment. Which probably suggests my interest isn't strong enough to defend itself -- because you're all correct, there are better quality watches at the $200 price point, and while I've never looked into the legalities of ordering one on-line I did notice the China domain in the URL and as such have to assume these replicas aren't even close to authorized, which at a minimum puts ethics and morality into question. All this is probably why I've never pulled the trigger on one...even though I've toyed with the idea for quite some time.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above comments. There are "homage" watches that are well made and look similar but do not try to trade off a famous name's cachet. Look up Steinhart ( https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html )for example. Well made, a bit more dear than the knock-off, but very functional watches as well as some of their own designs that are excellent.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Substitute the word "counterfeit" every time you refer to one as a "replica" because that's what they are.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'd be concerned of picking up malware even looking at some of those chinese knock off websites.

Consider a Seiko monster or Maratac. I've owned both, and they've each brought me enjoyment.

posted Hide Post
If you like the Submariner, but not its price; you might also consider the Certina DS Action automatic diver for a fraction of the price.

Posts: 280 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I'd be concerned of picking up malware even looking at some of those chinese knock off websites.

Consider a Seiko monster or Maratac. I've owned both, and they've each brought me enjoyment.

A Seiko Orange Monster has been my daily wear for two or three years, and I have my eye on a black Monster someday soon (once they get away from that Kraken-like maw-with-teeth watch face they've changed to the last year or two). Or maybe a Seiko SARB 033...just picked up a SARB 017 Alpinist after going back and forth between the two, and while I know I made the right decision and love my 017, that 033 stills call my name. Needless to say, I love Seikos, and, you're all correct, my money would be better spent on something like them than a Rolex knock-off...even if the aforementioned fun factor isn't quite the same.

Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Just say no to fakes.

In the $200-ish price range, or even higher than that... buy as much Seiko as you can afford.

Get a quality watch from a quality company. Don't buy garbage just because it pretends to be a Rolex.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Several years back a good friend who was in Key West was beat to an inch of his life for his Stainless Sub. Imagine if you were beat or worse for a watch that is just a replica, people look for opportunities to steal a Rolex. True story.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post

My Athaya Lamafa Divers, a Seiko 6105 homage, I purchased this year, before I had my Seiko 6105 restored. $400 shipped from Jakarta, Indonesia, keeps excellent time for an automatic, excellent build, but really poor lume.

I went back and forth with the company trying to get them to pay for return shipping to correct the lume, representative from the company had poor English, I finally said to hell with it. Lume is there, but just not as bright as it should be on a $400 watch.

Will never order from outside the US again.

Companies website: http://shop.athayavintage.com/...2-lamafa-diver-watch

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post