SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Toured (Explored) Pitt today with my kid. Amazing weather, it was freezing in the shade, and hot in the sun. Cathedral of Learning in the background.

Love the Explorer II "Polar"!!! I've been thinking about getting a Rolex with multiple time zone capabilities and prefer your choice to a GMT. Beautiful!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Love the Explorer II "Polar"!!! I've been thinking about getting a Rolex with multiple time zone capabilities and prefer your choice to a GMT. Beautiful!!!

It's a 1998 holes lugs with tritium dial. Just like my first ever good watch which I foolishly sold.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Change of pace from r0gue's beautiful white dial Rolex Explorer.

My only G-Shock. Smile Bought this one back in May 2005 from Higuchi. The Casio GW-5600BF-1JF was a tip-of-the-hat back to their original 1989 F91 "square" model. This improved model (2924 module) sported reverse display with gold segments, dual band "waveceptor" radio atomic clock sync, solar battery charging, and gold hardware (buttons and strap buckle). It was a Japanese domestic market model (signified by the JF designation) and not imported to the US.

I've installed a TicToc strap pass through converter I bought back then with a Zulu strap. Converters available today from folks like JayAndKays are more capable allowing both pass through and regular springbar straps / bracelets to be attached.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Love that polar Explorer. I prefer the older ones.

I also dig the G-Shock square. Cool, no nonsense watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Cool G-Shock. Like anything older, it always seems cooler to me than the new stuff.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Is there a good online auction site for watches similar to Reverb for musical equipment? eBay is a bit too Wild West like with waaaay too many fakes, scams and super clones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Watchuseek.com has a good seller section in its fora. I have bought a fairly expensive watch there with no problems. You can tell who is a good seller, and they drive off the problem children.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on that website a few times. I think it was while searching for certain discontinued watches. Good to know you had a positive experience with them.

I keep coming back to this Tissot. I think it’s the dial and surprisingly the fat hands too....I’m loving this watch! Damn good accuracy too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rolexforums.com has reputable sellers, too, and again, you can check out the sellers with other members. They are, obviously, concentrating on Rolexes. (Rolexei?)

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got a chuckle from this. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I got a chuckle from this. Big Grin

AHAHAHAHA!
I literally had this discussion today with a coworker!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For the heck of it I have added a gold toned "bull bar" to my Casio GW-5600. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Picked up one of the Wilson Combat watches a couple of months ago when they had them on sale. I’ve been wearing it, on and off, and really enjoy the size and weight of it. I bought one of the smaller black ones a few years ago and it’s been a really nice watch too. These are ones I wear when I’m kickin’ around and don’t want to risk my nicer watches. For the money ($250), I don’t think you can beat ‘em. They’re made by a little company in North Carolina, Bernhardt Watch Co. and, I believe, they really do a good job. This one’s an automatic, 42mm all stainless, 200m water resistant with sapphire crystal. Pretty accurate, gains about 10 sec/week.

When I got it, I had a question about setting it, so I called the company. Guy answers on the first ring, says “this is Amos” and we start chatting. Turns out he’s the president and founder. Found out the movement on this watch doesn’t hack, so you can’t set the second hand, meaning you can only set it to within 30 seconds of atomic time (depending on where the second hand is, either ahead or behind). I’m OK with that for when I’m wearing this one. Anyhow, talked to him for about 15 minutes and he told me he’d just been to Scottsdale for watch conference, about a mile from my house. It was a pleasure finding out about his company, and I’m glad I was able to contribute a little to his business.

Here's the black one, it’s 40mm quartz.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Found out the movement on this watch doesn’t hack, so you can’t set the second hand, meaning you can only set it to within 30 seconds of atomic time (depending on where the second hand is, either ahead or behind).

You should be able to hack it the same way folks do with the venerable Seiko SKX series among others. I believe your watch has a Miyota 8215 movement. Called "back-hacking", apply a little back pressure on the crown pulled out to adjust the time when the movement doesn't have much energy stored in the mainspring (power reserve is low). The second hand will stutter, even move backwards a bit; release the back pressure on the crown when you're near synchronization and be good to go. Plenty of details online via search as well as some YouTube videos. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+...h+movement%3F&ia=web

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Found out the movement on this watch doesn’t hack, so you can’t set the second hand, meaning you can only set it to within 30 seconds of atomic time (depending on where the second hand is, either ahead or behind).

You should be able to hack it the same way folks do with the venerable Seiko SKX series among others. I believe your watch has a Miyota 8215 movement. Called "back-hacking", apply a little back pressure on the crown pulled out to adjust the time when the movement doesn't have much energy stored in the mainspring (power reserve is low). The second hand will stutter, even move backwards a bit; release the back pressure on the crown when you're near synchronization and be good to go. Plenty of details online via search as well as some YouTube videos. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+...h+movement%3F&ia=web

Yes, bald1, it has the 8215 movement. Thanks for the info and link, I'll give it a try.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Thanks for the info and link, I'll give it a try.

The problem with a daily-wear watch is that you're likely to keep enough of a wind on it that it'll power through attempts to back-wind it. If it were me, I'd just accept a 30-second or less difference from "official time."

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Man automatics are fricking addictive. I’m still waiting patiently for my Omega SMP to come back from basically a full factory refurbish. In the meantime micro brands that meld aspects of my favorite divers and Tissot dive watches have kept me occupied. I came across a gorgeous Tissot Seastar diver that was the generation right before they switched over from the ETA 2824-2 to the powermatic 80 (which is damn accurate BTW). The condition was exquisite and the price was good so I figured why not.

Tissot seems to pride themselves in selecting odd lug widths like 19mm & 21mm.....why!? Oh well. Worst case I suppose I can file down a larger mesh bracelet and make it work as others gave. Big Grin

I very rarely keep the factory/oem bracelets on my daily watches so Tissot’s interesting lug widths will likely spark some creativity....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
...Thanks for the info and link, I'll give it a try.

The problem with a daily-wear watch is that you're likely to keep enough of a wind on it that it'll power through attempts to back-wind it. If it were me, I'd just accept a 30-second or less difference from "official time."

Agreed if it were a daily wear watch but he stated
quote:
These are ones I wear when I’m kickin’ around and don’t want to risk my nicer watches.
so I'm confident what I've provided will be of help to him.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Just got this one back from IWW.

Many years back I had a triple lock crown mod, sapphire crystal, glass bead blast and relume.

Jack did a complete movement service and cleaned up the case back after an ill advised trip to a local repair shop that gouged it and did other damage.

Looks real nice.

I realize the collector value is diminished. In my defense, at the time I did the mods, they were not highly valued, and as a watch I had in my youth I wanted it to be up to modern standards for daily wear.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The work on your vintage Seiko is very nice. Jack does good work.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post