SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
A new watch every week? Man I wish! Big Grin I’ve gotten to the point where only a select few watches now interest me and they mostly tend to be on the expensive side or super affordable micro brands.

The highly addictive world of micro brand watches tends to crank out new and unique designs every month so who knows. I waited on the new Zelos SwordFish 40 which was released recently because I didn’t care for the minute track and they almost totally sold out in a day or two!!! Even Zelos’s owner was shocked at how fast those babies moved. I don’t need one but that new Phoibos Rolex Homage with the NH35A movement is quite tempting. Wink The cool thing about some of these micro brands is if you get in early you can get some good deals and if you get bored you can likely unload the more desirable watches and break even or make money.

I’d like to get a newer Seamaster Professional, Tudor BB or a Doxa 300T and then I’d consider my watch collecting to be more or less complete.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use those Neodymium Disc Magnets around the shop extensively, to hold special tools to their respective machines.

I learned the other day, whilst unpacking a new supply of them, is that you don't want them near your wristwatch. My HAQ Certina, which usually keeps time within a second a month, was suddenly running 17 seconds slow. I reset the time and all is well. Lesson learned. Probably common sense/knowledge among you watch people, but I thought I'd post my experience.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you magnetize a watch, it can get worse. Luckily, you can demagnetize them easily.

There are anti magnetic watches like the Rolex Milgauss.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There are anti magnetic watches like the Rolex Milgauss.

Or all Omegas after 2014. They have a silicon balance spring and balance wheel.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I’d like to get a newer Seamaster Professional, Tudor BB or a Doxa 300T and then I’d consider my watch collecting to be more or less complete.

Heresy! Burn the infidel! Smile

It is never complete!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
magnets [snip] don't want them near your wristwatch. [snip] Lesson learned.

A very good post, and a nice reminder to me. We use a ton (literally!) of neo magnets at work... I probably should quit wearing my nicer watches to work.

ETA: One of our managers used to have to get new credit cards all the time. He carries his watch in a front pocket and being against the work benches a lot seemed to kill the stripes on them.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
What with the bronze and brass watches shown this year in this thread, I wonder if ya'll had spotted this one.

If I didn't already own a nice Glycine Airman, this one (model GL0166) would be tugging on my wallet.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Shortest time I've ever owned a watch - under 10 minutes. Wife has it now. Smile

It was almost like brand new! Bracelet WAS brand new never used. Dial looks otherwise in the image, but it is silver.

She loves it and she can read it! Her other ladies DJ was unreadable.

She deserves it.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like a Datejust with a turn-o-graph! Cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Kayaking, on and in the water. I watches the time like a hawk to make sure we made the pull-out before the last ride back. I never once wondered about the date. Wink

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It looks so different without that cyclops and date window. Perfection!

It looks great on that NATO too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No date Subs are the way to go.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Have had several Panerai, with my last being a fixed lug Radiomir in the 47mm range and very old Rolex movement.

If I were to get a Rolex, it would be a no date Sub, please Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

On occasion, I've been known to add the date, sans cyclops.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

On occasion, I've been known to add the date, sans cyclops.

I like your choice in straps, instead of banging up the SS bracelet. What are you using here?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I like your choice in straps, instead of banging up the SS bracelet. What are you using here?

Crown & Buckle Supreme NATO. You will NOT be disappointed. It is the only NATO I will use. 20mm for a Sub, if that's what you have.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:

Crown & Buckle Supreme NATO. You will NOT be disappointed. It is the only NATO I will use. 20mm for a Sub, if that's what you have.

Thanks. I sold my Sub to purchase my JC Deep Sea Seadweller, but if I still had it (or better still a "Kermit"), I'd sure be open to going with a Crown & Buckle like yours. Looks great!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Time for the quarterly underwater test to verify my SMP300’s water resistance - conducted @ a depth of .016666667 Fathoms.

-PASSED-

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Time for the quarterly underwater test to verify my SMP300’s water resistance - conducted @ a depth of .016666667 Fathoms.

-PASSED-

LOL 0.1 feet! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Time for the quarterly underwater test to verify my SMP300’s water resistance - conducted @ a depth of .016666667 Fathoms. -PASSED-

LOL! 1.2 inches deep; that must be some kind of record. :-)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post