SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO: If you're interested in a new one, I can check at the Seiko factory outlet store near me and get back to you with availability and pricing.

So I went to the Seiko factory outlet store yesterday...and it was gone! I knew it had been a while since I'd been there, but I guess it's been longer than I thought. Sorry about that. (The Movado store where I worked is still there, thankfully.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yipes! That's too bad.

I've heard there are stores in Japan that sell internationally on the Internet, and I'm trying to find the watch there. So far, only the Ukraine store has shown up, but I'm hoping...

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765: I've heard there are stores in Japan that sell internationally on the Internet, and I'm trying to find the watch there. So far, only the Ukraine store has shown up, but I'm hoping...

Unfortunately, since it was a limited production piece for the Seiko 5 50th Anniversary (1963 - 2013) I suspect they're long sold out, and collectors are hanging tightly onto them.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're probably right, and Seiko just doesn't maintain their website like they should. They don't have a "contacts" page to follow up on, either.

I'll keep looking for a while. I originally found it because I wanted an inexpensive mechanical Seiko and the "5" series was discussed here, so I guess I'm back to looking at others in that series.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
SCORE! 1980 Seiko World Timer
Garage sale - $2! Big Grin

Put a battery in it and it WORKS!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I originally found it because I wanted an inexpensive mechanical Seiko and the "5" series was discussed here, so I guess I'm back to looking at others in that series.

There are three I keep staring at on Amazon.
First up is from their Kinetic series, with a canvas band. (Link 1)

Next is from the 5 series, canvas band:
(Link 2)

Third is also a 5, with the stainless band:
(Link 3)

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I like the Seiko Five series of watches, they have some very nice models in that line. As far as Seiko bracelets - typically "YUCK". Many utilize the split collar/pin method for securing links and they are very difficult to handle properly.

Militat/Strap Code makes very good aftermarket bracelets should you decide to go with a canvas strap and want a bracelet later down the road.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

There are three I keep staring at on Amazon.
First up is from their Kinetic series, with a canvas band. (Link 1)

Next is from the 5 series, canvas band:
(Link 2)

Third is also a 5, with the stainless band:
(Link 3)

One thing I like about the Seiko 5 is that the day/date display on all of them appears to be large enough to read without a microscope, while the date-only displays on other watches is so small I frequently can't even say the watch has a date display!!! Unfortunately, the display on that kinetic you referred to is too small for me.

I've looked at the other two, both 5's, and the only think I don't like is that they are bigger than my Rolex GMT Master! They're 42mm, my GMT is 40mm and big enough for me. I'd like one of the smaller 5's but haven't decided yet which one. That 50th anniversary one was 42mm, but so nice that I didn't care about the size so much.

Thanks, though. I appreciate the suggestions/directions.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for pointing out the 42mm case size on the 5s... I hadn't noticed that. After reading your post this morning I whipped out the calipers for some comparisons.

My everyday Hamilton is a 40. I thought, "what difference does 2mm make?" Then opening the calipers up to 42 and holding them over my watch, it was fairly clear that a 42 could very well be too big for my skinny wrist.

Here's a 5 that's a bit smaller -- it's listed as a 37. ( Link 4 )

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! That's more my size.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That one's not as water-resistant as some others, but $50-ish for a day-to-day Seiko 5 isn't bad. Cool

God bless America.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: ...My everyday Hamilton is a 40. I thought, "what difference does 2mm make?" Then opening the calipers up to 42 and holding them over my watch, it was fairly clear that a 42 could very well be too big for my skinny wrist.

Yeah, I have skinny wrists, too. (My Bergeon wrist-measurement tape says I'm 7 inches on the dot.) Big watches seem to be in vogue, but I think they look silly one me. My Seiko 5 day-to-day watch is 37mm, and my ESQ dress watch is 38mm. They both look and feel good to me. My Casio dive watch is a gigantic 44mm, but I generally only wear that diving, and then I'm usually wearing a 7mm wetsuit and 5mm cold-water gloves, so it works.

posted Hide Post
Which S-5 do you have?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which S-5 do you have?

I don't recall the model number. I got it about five years ago if I recall.

At the 6 o'clock position on the dial it says "7S26-2314 TG 2."

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO: I don't recall the model number. I got it about five years ago if I recall.

I found it. It's a Seiko 5, Model SNX997K1.

Here's a video about one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_8DseISvjY

posted Hide Post
quote:
SNX997K1

Still available on Amazon for $89.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
SNX997K1

Still available on Amazon for $89.

The Amazon listing I found has incorrect product information: it says the watch "Features push-button deployment clasp..." That is not true; it has a simple snap catch (friction fit) on the deployment..

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I got this as a gift from a client today

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Weird and very cool!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6: I got this as a gift from a client today

I've never seen anything like it. Very cool.