SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
...I was also backing up Rogue's point that some spend $60,000 on a pickup truck while believing a $8000 watch is an irrational purchase.

Shortly after we moved to the country, we saw a Dodge pickup truck that had every option in the book, and had been dragged through the JC Whitney catalog. No-doubt cost about what I earned in a year back then.

Its bumper sticker said:

"Crime and Farming Don't Pay."

I was wearing my then-13 year old Rolex GMT Master, just retired from daily use two months ago at 34 years. I wonder how long that pickup lasted?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Its been six years since I bought my first and only automatic watch (a Tag Carerra). At the time, I thought I'd resisted temptation, but just couldn't take my mind off the Rolex Submariners and Sea Dwellers I'd also considered. Last week, my wife and I vacationed in Maui. As usual, I checked out one of the local dealers and asked if they had a nice "previously owned" version of what I was interested in. The salesman politely said they didn't, but as I walked out the door, I glanced at the window display and WHAM!!! It was love at first sight!!! She's a sweet 16 year old Submariner and according to the official paperwork, had been serviced only a week previously. The salesman didn't even know she was there. The price was exactly what I'd been looking for and I couldn't resist taking her home. Smile

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. What a beautiful watch.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Congrats pulicords! You are in a good place, both geographically, and horologically! haha

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Nice watch pulicords. Enjoy wearing it every day in good health.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Decided to pick up another Submariner, I've had several in the past; but really wanted one again. Brand new as of today. Have a Everest rubber strap on order.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words and congrats to Orive 8! (Great minds think alike! Wink)

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
My weekend spoils. Matching Microtech Ultratechs and a Fortis Cosmonaut 42mm Automatic watch which is basically a B-42 but came with a leather band. I changed it out for a 007 style NATO. I guess I like automatics of all kinds Big Grin

I really like that Fortis. I have been more of a pilot watch guy, but that one is nice as well.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
My weekend spoils. Matching Microtech Ultratechs and a Fortis Cosmonaut 42mm Automatic watch which is basically a B-42 but came with a leather band. I changed it out for a 007 style NATO. I guess I like automatics of all kinds Big Grin

I really like that Fortis. I have been more of a pilot watch guy, but that one is nice as well.

They also make a Chrono

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Pulicords and Orive! There's nothing quite like a fine watch, and few are quite so iconic as the venerable submariner. Enjoy!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That would be the Sub I'd get, Pulicords (unless I was going for something really collectible, which I can't afford). I greatly prefer the sleeker case, thinner lugs, and smaller hour markers to what they are making now.

Nice choice.

Not to say Orive's isn't a great watch, but I prefer the older models on Rolex's divers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Just picked up another Citizen.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en...il/?model=JY8057-01E

Jeweler was having a sale. Picked up another watch which will soon be offered as a Karma gift.

Gift to myself and Karma reason will be released when things slow down a bit and I get pictures of the Karma watch.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Nice Floyd, Congrats! on both accounts!

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Just picked up another Citizen.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en...il/?model=JY8057-01E

Jeweler was having a sale. Picked up another watch which will soon be offered as a Karma gift.

Gift to myself and Karma reason will be released when things slow down a bit and I get pictures of the Karma watch.

I like it!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My weeks spoils, same watch as Dusty but leather band, Fortis B42 Cosmonaut.

Next to the everyday Epos.

Microtech SDK DLC M390

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Love the Fortis. Wish it was offered in a 39mm. That's 42mm? or 44?

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I love Fortis. I had a chunky Spacematic previously. The prices are insanely low right now. This is a 42mm. I have a Tag Carrera with a 39mm case and it seems so small. Amazing what 3mm can make.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
10X mine actually came with the same leather band. Jomashop had it for a great deal. Mine is 42mm. rOgue some of their pilot watches are 40mm.

http://www.jomashop.com/fortis...h-623-10-42-l10.html

Great deals right now.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Yup, great minds think alike. Got mine there also. Had to jump before they regained their sanity.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Any ideas about where to find factory silicone bands with deployment clasps and factory bracelets for the Fortis B42?