SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

I like. I have seen other who put bracelets on without fitted end links. They look like crap. Yours looks great!

RMD

Not bad for a $14 Timex bracelet!
It's all solid too and not folded!

Nice - the solid part. It looks good.

I like a strap on dressy watches, but it is so hot here that a strap usually feels sweaty and sticky. I greatly prefer metal bracelets.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like a strap on dressy watches, but it is so hot here that a strap usually feels sweaty and sticky. I greatly prefer metal bracelets.

Agreed. After trashing a couple very expensive straps in the summers of TX, AL and MS I wear steel bracelets almost exclusively in the summer months. My two most frequent watches were picked in part specifically because they could come with, and look good with, either.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Just arrived. This is my second Alpina...becoming a fan of this smaller Swiss brand.

Alpina Extreme Sailing Limited Edition (if you can call 8888 pieces "limited") :

(Photos borrowed from others...my photo ability w/ my tired Iphone 4S can't touch these.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: at-home-daddy,

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to get an automatic soon!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't you have a Speedy? I'd wear it all the time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't you have a Speedy? I'd wear it all the time.

seconded. I like watches, but if I had a Speedy to go with my Seamaster, I'd probably never buy another one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
Just arrived. This is my second Alpina...becoming a fan of this smaller Swiss brand.

Alpina Extreme Sailing Limited Edition (if you can call 8888 pieces "limited") :

I believe I have that one!!
Will check when I get off shift

(Photos borrowed from others...my photo ability w/ my tired Iphone 4S can't touch these.)

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The speedy is a manual wind
And a NASA artifact
My Rolex is an auto but I don't wear it

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

After a bit more searching, I finally found what I was looking for when I got the Marathon (above). It's a Japanese market Seiko, 33mm case, thin, 17mm band, fits my wrist and my concept of a simple watch perfectly. It has a stainless case and sapphire crystal, with an HAQ movement. I am not too fond of the shiny Caiman band, but it might take a while to find a suitable 17mm replacement. BTW, I found Chino Watch a pleasure to do business with.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
RE Alpina
I was mistaken, mine is an " Extreme" limited edition. 10xx/8888 only difference I can see is my bezel is marked in 360 degree
Great watch, Mrs SPG got it for me in Aruba last year

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those Seiko Dolces are very nice. They have a high accuracy movement, and are accurate to +/- 10 seconds a year. That is astoundingly good. Most quartz watches are more like +/- 20 seconds a month.

Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'll play.

My newest and one of my favorites...

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ man that is beautiful!

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
very nice!

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teombe:
Hey, I'll play.

My newest and one of my favorites...

Lovely!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted about this one a couple weeks ago, a Seiko 5:

I want it, but different sources give different case diameters. Watchsleuth says it's 40mm which is OK, but the seller and another website say 43mm. Yuuuge!

Any suggestions for a reliable source of info?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765: ...the seller and another website say 43mm.

I'd go with what the seller says. (40mm would be unusually small for that style of watch; 42 - 44 seems more likely.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I posted about this one a couple weeks ago, a Seiko 5:

I want it, but different sources give different case diameters. Watchsleuth says it's 40mm which is OK, but the seller and another website say 43mm. Yuuuge!

Any suggestions for a reliable source of info?

Are they measuring the same thing? Dial v outside diameter?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they measuring the same thing? Dial v outside diameter?

Unknown.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The seller got back to me a short time ago, saying they measured the case at 41mm and 44mm with the crown. I don't think it matters, being a "Silly Millimeter Longer" (anybody get the reference?) so I'll order it this afternoon, along with a link remover.

Pics to follow! Cool

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18