SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I think the Glycine fans left the room three minutes after Invicta made their announcement about the purchase. Roll Eyes

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I remember a time when InVicta put out choronos with ETA Valjoux 7750’s in them. That was a Looooong time ago. I have one Glycine that’s pre Invicta. You can tell by the shape of the insignia.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Swapped out the chrome-plated brass bezel on the Vostok for a custom-made stainless steel bezel made by a Russian dude in LA. It gives it a more austere look, and less toy-like. Total investment so far--$25.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
And on a side-note, I got a tracking number for the black seiko turtle/ninja turtle/darth turtle/death turtle that my brother picked up for me in Japan....he didn't want to ship it from hong kong so my cousin who was visiting him brought it back to the states and shipped it from Kali. Can't wait for that one!

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My Non-JCQ* Invicta 40mm auto:

In 2008 I was getting my usual truckload of Costco paper towels when I passed the jewelry/watch display. They had an all black PVD SS Invicta S1 auto 200M diver for $99. It kinda sorta reminded me of one of my Submariners I had at the time… but BLACK. I bought it as a watch to wear when you were going some place that a Rolex would be out of place… like a gun show when you are trying to get a better price…
…or a bad part of “Dodge”.

So 10 years later the Rolexes have been converted to other “stuff” but the little Invicta, (now on a NATO) keeps on doing what I bought it for. And keeps good time too.

*Jumbo Clown Quartz

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Swapped out the chrome-plated brass bezel on the Vostok for a custom-made stainless steel bezel made by a Russian dude in LA. It gives it a more austere look, and less toy-like. Total investment so far--$25.

I like that look! Killer blue dial face as well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jumbo Clown Quartz

That one looks nice. I think JCQ and Home Shopping Network is the image most WIS have when they hear Invicta. Sadly, now Glycine lovers will feel the same pain.

RMD

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I scored a beautiful 1960 gold pie pan Seamaster today for $200.

Will post pixa after rat shooting.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Will post pixa after rat shooting.

Say WHAAAAT!

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's the Seamonster.

It needs a crystal and a good buffing, but it is worth the repairs.

Yes, the shitty bracelet will be the first to go.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Where are you finding these treasures?

RMD

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Craigslist. For real.

I had to drive 2 hours out to Lawrenceville to the home of a housebound man who makes his living off CL and eBay. We had been negotiating on it for days when he decided to try to buff the crystal, got it hot and distorted it.

I offered him $200 for the "ruined" watch.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I got a sweet package from my brother in HK. He bought me the Seiko ref SRPC49, aka the 'Ninja Turtle' or the 'Darth Turtle.' Either nickname works for me. Smile Muled to the USA via my cousin who met him in Japan for some snowboarding, to avoid customs.

Packaging peanuts were impressive. Big Grin

The Seiko packaging is quite pretty for cardboard.

Typical tsunami caseback

Seiko's 'Hard Black' coating is rather attractive, matte on top of the case, but polished on the sides. Even the signed buckle and keeper on the silicon strap is coated to match:

The silicon strap with the classic Seiko stretch 'wave' feature is probably the most comfortable Seiko strap I've ever worn.

Lume shot in dim room:

Lume in a dark room. Nobody can touch Seiko's lume brightness:

I didn't want to scratch up the buckle and keeper as I tend to do despite babying my watches so I replaced it with a black NATO with black PVD hardware:

The PADI turtle has been my most favourite watch as of late, and has seen more wrist time than my other watches. However I'm completely smitten by the Ninja Turtle. I love the antiqued lume indices, the orange minute hand. The crown action is springy and crisp, and handwinding this and my other turtle is quite pleasurably tactile. Everything is perfectly lined up (chapter ring, 12 o'clock indice, and the bezel.)
It's my first and only black watch other than my GShocks which I rarely wear anymore. Masculine, with a vintage and purposeful vibe. I'm still up in the air about the black/grey bezel insert. Other than that, I foresee myself wearing it regularly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: agony,

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

"Darth Turtle." I like it!

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an attractive watch.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK I picked up another Invicta Pro Diver.
(I've been calling them Muff Diver)
This one is slightly smaller at 40mm minus the crown.
The other is a little over 43mm.
It has the Seiko movement but the assembled in Malasya.
This is a quality watch for the money.

I gave $55 for it shipped.

Here's a comparison.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I got a sweet package from my brother in HK. He bought me the Seiko ref SRPC49, aka the 'Ninja Turtle' or the 'Darth Turtle.' Either nickname works for me. Smile Muled to the USA via my cousin who met him in Japan for some snowboarding, to avoid customs.

It looks horrible, you hate it. Sell it to me /jedi mind trick

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The antiqued lume on the Darth Turtle is cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
It really is a cool watch.
Just ordered a blushark black with tan striped nato to go with it.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
OK, my 1982 Bulova Super Seville Rolex Tribute is in!

It is BEYOND beautiful!

ETA 2834-2 movement Day-Date.

I seriously doubt Citizen will do Bulova any justice from here on out. Grab the Swiss ones while you can.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!